Experiences with "elemental" or "FODMAPS" diet for SIBO?

Sam321

I tested positive for methane SIBO and my naturopath is suggesting either an elemental diet (see link) or FODMAPS diet in combination with an herbal antibiotic (or rifaximin if thats what I want).
Does anyone have experience with either two of these diets. If so, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Elemental diet: Physicians' Elemental Diet™ | Integrative Therapeutics

mostlylurking

I tested positive for methane SIBO and my naturopath is suggesting either an elemental diet (see link) or FODMAPS diet in combination with an herbal antibiotic (or rifaximin if thats what I want).
Does anyone have experience with either two of these diets. If so, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

consider this: When SIBO & IBS-Constipation are just unrecognized thiamine deficiency

I was diagnosed with SIBO and leaky gut about 25 years ago. I got a lot of relief following Ray Peat's diet suggestions. Recently I went through some hard months due to thiamine function blockage brought on by Bactrim antibiotic last summer. See this: Bactrim: An Anti-Folate, Anti-Thiamine, Potassium Altering Drug - Hormones Matter. A lot of pharmaceuticals block thiamine function. I worked my way up to a high dose of thiamine hcl over several weeks. When I reached 2 grams/day in two days my gut function normalized to a level not seen in over 40 years.

To learn more about Ray Peat's diet suggestions, use this search engine: PeatSearch: a Ray Peat-specific search engine - Toxinless use the cell on the left. Also this search engine of interviews: Ray Peat Search

FODMAPS diet (you restrict FODMAPS):
These types of carbs are FODMAPs:

• Fructose: Fruits, honey, high-fructose corn syrup, agave
  • Lactose: Dairy
  • Fructans: Wheat, onions, garlic
  • Galactans: Legumes, such as beans, lentils, and soybeans
  • Polyols: Sugar alcohols and fruits that have pits or seeds, such as apples, avocados, cherries, figs, peaches, or plums
I found great relief following Ray Peat's diet suggestions; I eat a LOT of dairy, gelatin, orange juice, and ripe fruits with pits (peaches, etc.) I eat no nuts, no seeds, no grains, no PUFA.

Personally, for me, I would not go on this FODMAPS diet; it restricts safe healthy food (dairy, for example) and replaces with things like almond milk which are extremely high oxylate.

consider the information in this article: Sulfate V: An Introduction To Oxalate Toxicity & Gut Dysbiosis

In addition, slow gut transit and the resulting problems are also a symptom of hypothyroidism. Have you been tested for hypothyroidism? Do you track your temperature and pulse?

Last edited:
OP
Sam321

Sam321

consider this: When SIBO & IBS-Constipation are just unrecognized thiamine deficiency

I was diagnosed with SIBO and leaky gut about 25 years ago. I got a lot of relief following Ray Peat's diet suggestions. Recently I went through some hard months due to thiamine function blockage brought on by Bactrim antibiotic last summer. See this: Bactrim: An Anti-Folate, Anti-Thiamine, Potassium Altering Drug - Hormones Matter. A lot of pharmaceuticals block thiamine function. I worked my way up to a high dose of thiamine hcl over several weeks. When I reached 2 grams/day in two days my gut function normalized to a level not seen in over 40 years.

To learn more about Ray Peat's diet suggestions, use this search engine: PeatSearch: a Ray Peat-specific search engine - Toxinless use the cell on the left. Also this search engine of interviews: Ray Peat Search

FODMAPS diet (you restrict FODMAPS):
These types of carbs are FODMAPs:

• Fructose: Fruits, honey, high-fructose corn syrup, agave
  • Lactose: Dairy
  • Fructans: Wheat, onions, garlic
  • Galactans: Legumes, such as beans, lentils, and soybeans
  • Polyols: Sugar alcohols and fruits that have pits or seeds, such as apples, avocados, cherries, figs, peaches, or plums
I found great relief following Ray Peat's diet suggestions; I eat a LOT of dairy, gelatin, orange juice, and ripe fruits with pits (peaches, etc.) I eat no nuts, no seeds, no grains, no PUFA.

Personally, for me, I would not go on this FODMAPS diet; it restricts safe healthy food (dairy, for example) and replaces with things like almond milk which are extremely high oxylate.

consider the information in this article: Sulfate V: An Introduction To Oxalate Toxicity & Gut Dysbiosis

In addition, slow gut transit and the resulting problems are also a symptom of hypothyroidism. Have you been tested for hypothyroidism? Do you track your temperature and pulse?
Thank you for the thoughtful response. I've been on a pretty high amount of b1 for a couple weeks now. I guess I could try the megadose option.

mostlylurking

100MG HCI in daily complex
12 oz of liver a week
Putting some spore based probiotic in my gut that produce b1.
That's a whole lot of liver.... I eat 4 oz. once a week. I'm not a big fan of probiotics, but whatever... I'd rather stick with plain old boring thiamine hcl, eat a lot of cooked mushrooms, and let the bacteria work it out amongst themselves. You aren't taking a huge dose of hcl; I took that amount daily for about 6 years, no problems, then got messed up with an antibiotic and needed a WHOLE lot more thiamine. It taught me that things can change.

OP
Sam321

Sam321

That's a whole lot of liver.... I eat 4 oz. once a week. I'm not a big fan of probiotics, but whatever... I'd rather stick with plain old boring thiamine hcl, eat a lot of cooked mushrooms, and let the bacteria work it out amongst themselves. You aren't taking a huge dose of hcl; I took that amount daily for about 6 years, no problems, then got messed up with an antibiotic and needed a WHOLE lot more thiamine. It taught me that things can change.
I'm 6'1 200lbs. Bumped up liver cause I wasn't sleeping for 5 days in a row. Also sleeping pills is the only thing getting me to sleep atm and gut feels like its getting worse 2 months later. Its getting hard to just let things sort themselves out.

Might try megadose for 2 weeks see if I notice a difference

LadyRae

I've been hitting my gut nightly ( last 5 nights) with Camphosal (A Georgi(Haidut) product-Idealabs. Along with Interphase Plus, a biofilm disruptor. The first 48 hours were crazy- exhaustion, sore joints, dark and foul stools (not severe or often to be diarrhea though). So I took 1 Tbsp of activated charcoal with 1 Tbsp of coconut oil, and that moved everything out. Then a couple days later I did a lemon water enema. Now my stomach is SO flat. No bloating after meals.

I, too, do not eat dairy , grains, alcohol, or gluten. I have tried oil of oregano too, but it inflamed my gut, giving me more bloating. I suspect I grew some horrible negative bacteria over last fall/winter, as I was using lots of guar gum to thicken a protein powder ice cream I was addicted to ?... Every night my belly was Huge and distended...Anyhow, I finally cut that out, but it's taken a few weeks to heal from it.

mostlylurking

I'm 6'1 200lbs. Bumped up liver cause I wasn't sleeping for 5 days in a row. Also sleeping pills is the only thing getting me to sleep atm and gut feels like its getting worse 2 months later. Its getting hard to just let things sort themselves out.

Might try megadose for 2 weeks see if I notice a difference
It is recommended by Dr. Costantini that high dose thiamine hcl should be taken twice a day and always before 3:00pm. If you do that it improves sleep. If you take it later in the day it can cause insomnia. I've found that to be true. 2 grams/day is my dose, taken before 3:00pm, has definitely improved my sleep.
Dr. Costantini's site: HDT Therapy I take magnesium and also drink orange juice for the potassium. Dr. Costantini says to dissolve the thiamine hcl in water, not in juice.

OP
Sam321

Sam321

I've been hitting my gut nightly ( last 5 nights) with Camphosal (A Georgi(Haidut) product-Idealabs. Along with Interphase Plus, a biofilm disruptor. The first 48 hours were crazy- exhaustion, sore joints, dark and foul stools (not severe or often to be diarrhea though). So I took 1 Tbsp of activated charcoal with 1 Tbsp of coconut oil, and that moved everything out. Then a couple days later I did a lemon water enema. Now my stomach is SO flat. No bloating after meals.

I, too, do not eat dairy , grains, alcohol, or gluten. I have tried oil of oregano too, but it inflamed my gut, giving me more bloating. I suspect I grew some horrible negative bacteria over last fall/winter, as I was using lots of guar gum to thicken a protein powder ice cream I was addicted to ?... Every night my belly was Huge and distended...Anyhow, I finally cut that out, but it's taken a few weeks to heal from it.
Dang and what kind of SIBO was that? Methane or Hydrogen?
Thanks for the response. Glad to hear some success stories.

LadyRae

Dang and what kind of SIBO was that? Methane or Hydrogen?
Thanks for the response. Glad to hear some success stories.
I never had a test. Just horrible distention and pain in the evenings. Could have been fermenting food in my colon, too. Endotoxin. I'm eating very simply now. Easy to digest foods only...lower fiber. No raw veges. Ripe tropical fruits only. Apples and pears were a problem too

OP
Sam321

Sam321

I never had a test. Just horrible distention and pain in the evenings. Could have been fermenting food in my colon, too. Endotoxin. I'm eating very simply now. Easy to digest foods only...lower fiber. No raw veges. Ripe tropical fruits only. Apples and pears were a problem too
Nice!

Nimo

Please why do oranges are not FODMAP but oranges juice are? there are alot examples where fruit is OK but fruit juice or dried fruit is not. What change there? what is mechanism ? i saw @Hans video on FODMAP so maybe you know? i heard on your no starch experiment u are ALOOOOOOT honey, how could u handle that?

Vins7

It is recommended by Dr. Costantini that high dose thiamine hcl should be taken twice a day and always before 3:00pm. If you do that it improves sleep. If you take it later in the day it can cause insomnia. I've found that to be true. 2 grams/day is my dose, taken before 3:00pm, has definitely improved my sleep.
Dr. Costantini's site: HDT Therapy I take magnesium and also drink orange juice for the potassium. Dr. Costantini says to dissolve the thiamine hcl in water, not in juice.
What type of magnesium do you take? And what is the brand of your thiamine hcl supplement?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Please why do oranges are not FODMAP but oranges juice are? there are alot examples where fruit is OK but fruit juice or dried fruit is not. What change there? what is mechanism ? i saw @Hans video on FODMAP so maybe you know? i heard on your no starch experiment u are ALOOOOOOT honey, how could u handle that?
I think it's because of fructose which is deemed a FODMAP. I appear to be fine with that amount of honey. :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals