Experiences With A Lot Of CO2?

Peata

For those who have increased their CO2 through whatever means, what does it feel like?

And if you have overdone it, what does that feel like, both good or bad.

yoshiesque

i would also like to know?

surely someone has done some intense paper bag breathing or something?

Also, why are people using baking soda when RP said paper bag was most effective way to get CO2 (apart from diet/supplements)? is there something else im not aware of where baking soda has benefits/

schultz

I'm also curious about this. Has anybody on here experimented with a CO2 tank? I've always wanted to try this...

I always thought it would be neat to find some sort of regulator like those used in a greenhouse and raise the CO2 levels in my house. It would probably be expensive though since I would also need some safety equipment to monitor the levels. A friend of mine works in a winery and the CO2 levels are very high in the winery during harvest time when a lot of the juice is fermenting. They have a CO2 sensor and he was walking around the winery testing the levels and it was in the danger level in a few places in the winery (probably the cold cellar).

sm1693

yoshiesque said:
Also, why are people using baking soda when RP said paper bag was most effective way to get CO2 (apart from diet/supplements)? is there something else im not aware of where baking soda has benefits/

A way to get sodium for those of us that don't want to consume salt.

tara

schultz said:
I always thought it would be neat to find some sort of regulator like those used in a greenhouse and raise the CO2 levels in my house. It would probably be expensive though since I would also need some safety equipment to monitor the levels. A friend of mine works in a winery and the CO2 levels are very high in the winery during harvest time when a lot of the juice is fermenting. They have a CO2 sensor and he was walking around the winery testing the levels and it was in the danger level in a few places in the winery (probably the cold cellar).
Did your friend report how he felt while in there or afterwards?

narouz

For a while I've wondered about this.
I've thought,
why not just have a CO2 tank/valve in one's office
programmed to like hiss out a generous dose of CO2 every 15 minutes or so?

I kinda think it must not be this simple
or Peat would've explored it.
I think it has something to do with the pressure at altitude;
that is not something one can replicate with hissing CO2 tanks most likely.

Same thing with that drug that starts with an "A"
and helps hang on to CO2 better.
Why hasn't that been The Answer to elevating our levels?
Probably the same thing. :roll:

tara

narouz said:
I've thought,
why not just have a CO2 tank/valve in one's office
programmed to like hiss out a generous dose of CO2 every 15 minutes or so?
I suspect it might be expensive to keep a whole room at a beneficial CO2 concentration if it's not a by product of some other process.

schultz

Acetazolamide I think is the drug he mentioned. It's possible it may have some effects that are negative and therefore one wouldn't want to take it continuously?

I'll ask my friend if he noticed a difference.

I'm guessing it would be very wasteful and expensive to get a tank and have it trickle out. Ray's idea with filling a giant bag with Co2 is probably more efficienct. I was pondering the idea of using a CO2 generator like in a greenhouse. They run off propane though and so I was a little worried it would also give off carbon monoxide.

https://greenair.com/browse/co2-generators.html

Maybe they work so well that they don't give off carbon monoxide. If it can raise the CO2 levels of an entire greenhouse I'm sure it would work for a home. My family already thinks I'm crazy, I'm sure having a CO2 generator in my home wouldn't help...

The literature on that site I linked is interesting...

"The ambient level of CO2 in the earth's atmosphere is generally between 300 and 600 ppm."
"The average CO2 level that is recommended is 1000 to 2000 parts per million (PPM)."

Plants and people do better at higher CO2, so wouldn't it be a good thing for the earth to have more CO2?

tara

schultz said:
"The ambient level of CO2 in the earth's atmosphere is generally between 300 and 600 ppm."
"The average CO2 level that is recommended is 1000 to 2000 parts per million (PPM)."

Plants and people do better at higher CO2, so wouldn't it be a good thing for the earth to have more CO2?
Depends on whether current land areas, weather patterns, human and other land and sea populations and ecosystems, social structures, built environments (eg coastal cities) etc, are important to you. They are to me. (Not that I wouldn't want some changes - I would - but not by radically changing the whole planet's climate system and sea level and temperature.)
I'd prefer to raise the local CO2 level in my immediate environment. If I could do that while minimising my contribution to rising atmospheric CO2 concentrations, so much the better.
Bag breathing, reduced breathing, and variants do this. I guess sleeping in a loft above a brewery etc would too. Small scale CO2 supplementation, eg with cannister/tank and mask [edit to add:] or tent or similar would seem to contribute less to the problem than supplementing whole rooms or houses.

schultz

tara said:
schultz said:
Did your friend report how he felt while in there or afterwards?

He said he would get a feeling of euphoria but too much of it would cause a headache. I used to work there and we would play tricks on people telling them to smell a transfer hose or something. The hose would be full of CO2 and when you smell it it practically knocks you on your ****. Burns your nostrils.

schultz

tara said:
schultz said:

Depends on whether current land areas, weather patterns, human and other land and sea populations and ecosystems, social structures, built environments (eg coastal cities) etc, are important to you. They are to me. (Not that I wouldn't want some changes - I would - but not by radically changing the whole planet's climate system and sea level and temperature.)

CO2 seems to be the least problematic greenhouse gas.
Methane, carbon monoxide, nitrous oxide and fluorinated gases seem to be much worse.
Though I have admittedly not researched this topic much. I'm secretly hoping Canada gets warmer... :roll:

XPlus

Acetazolamide I think is the drug he mentioned. It's possible it may have some effects that are negative and therefore one wouldn't want to take it continuously?

I'll ask my friend if he noticed a difference.

I'm guessing it would be very wasteful and expensive to get a tank and have it trickle out. Ray's idea with filling a giant bag with Co2 is probably more efficienct. I was pondering the idea of using a CO2 generator like in a greenhouse. They run off propane though and so I was a little worried it would also give off carbon monoxide.

CO2 Generators - Green Air Products

Maybe they work so well that they don't give off carbon monoxide. If it can raise the CO2 levels of an entire greenhouse I'm sure it would work for a home. My family already thinks I'm crazy, I'm sure having a CO2 generator in my home wouldn't help...

The literature on that site I linked is interesting...

Wonder if you managed to experiment with an LPG generator as I'm seriously considering trying it out myself.

Diokine

I've used dry ice in my room at night as well as putting it in a bottle of water and breathing vapors through a straw. It's easy to overdo, leading to tingling lips and general feelings of hypoxia. In the correct dosage it is extremely sedating, and completely relieves any sinus congestion.

Using breathing techniques to increase CO2 has been very therapeutic and is something I do multiple times throughout the day. I notice feelings of calmness, being in control, and less tension in my face.

ken

There are lots of web sites invoking co2 for health. Most are outside the US. Www.co2-therapy.com is one. There are also lots of eastern European health spas offering it. There's also a Japanese company selling equipment to carbonate your tub or shower. For simple stuff you can make your own bath bombs.

tara

There are lots of web sites invoking co2 for health. Most are outside the US. Www.co2-therapy.com is one. There are also lots of eastern European health spas offering it.

Yeah. I think there's a bit of evidence of dry CO2 baths being used in one or two hospitals, too, for improving cardiovascular health.
I don't know if all these benefits apply to people with specific ventilation-perfusion issues such as COPD.

Marie2000

Guys i know this is an old thread, but I found this and I am wondering if it would be useful for increasing the c02 level in a room. It is a mushroom so I am concerned the fungi would grow inside the room as well. I am very sensitive to molds and bacteria so I wonder if it would stay in the bag or spread. here is the link:

https://www.amazon.com/ExHale-Homeg...1LYLU6EV/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8

the product is a co2 organic´´ generator consisting on a bag containing some fungi. It is inttended for indoor plant growing.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals