Experience With Fermented Soy Products

Spokey

Not so far. It's kind of unavoidable in my house as my wife is Japanese and anyway we like it.

The unfermented kind has presented problems though and we now avoid it generally but I still encounter tofu occasionally.

Waremu

Some soy products that are even fermented are still fairly high in PUFA, so I am very careful with soy. For the most part, the only fermented soy product that I consume is either regular soy sauce or Tamari.

nikotrope

I've drunk miso soups in the past as a way to get more salt. It is very warming and did not encounter any problems. But as Waremu says it's not optimal because it's high in PUFA. One miso soup per day maybe, more will become a problem if you already eat eggs or whole milk (or something high in PUFA).

jyb

Waremu said:
Some soy products that are even fermented are still fairly high in PUFA, so I am very careful with soy. For the most part, the only fermented soy product that I consume is either regular soy sauce or Tamari.

I usually think of soy sauce / tofu / soy lecithin as highly estrogenic rather than pufa heavy. For example soy lecithin...is fatless? Yet it has comparable estrogenic properties as the rest.

Waremu

jyb said:
Waremu said:

I usually think of soy sauce / tofu / soy lecithin as highly estrogenic rather than pufa heavy. For example soy lecithin...is fatless? Yet it has comparable estrogenic properties as the rest.

A lot of tofu has a good amount of PUFA. Soy sauce itself doesn't. With soy sauce, most if not all the estrogenic compounds are removed through the fermentation process, so that is why I said that I only eat soy sauce. Almost all other soy pedicures are either high in PUFA and/or estrogenic compounds.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

A long time ago I tried miso and wasn't able to notice anything, positive or negative. I don't remember why I stopped though. The only thing that I remember is that it was very salty, very!
Miso, natto and tempeh seem fine. Not optimal, but fine and slightly positive in moderation.

cyclops

I've been eating allot of this Organic Tamari lately:
11051706_5459be66cfc4f.jpg

Ingredients
Water, Organic Soybeans, Salt, Organic Alcohol (to preserve freshness).

I like it, but I could do without if it wasn't a good food. Thoughts?

Dave Clark

Try a product called "Nama Shoyu", it is organic , raw, naturally fermented, to me has a non-salty taste, sort of fruity. My favorite soy sauce, when I do use any, for many years.

cyclops

Try a product called "Nama Shoyu", it is organic , raw, naturally fermented, to me has a non-salty taste, sort of fruity. My favorite soy sauce, when I do use any, for many years.

Holy Shoyu that stuff is expensive! I'm thinking it may just be better to forgo the soy sauce. I don't think Ray is a fan of fermented products or soybeans so its probably not doing anything great for my health anyway.

Dave Clark

Holy Shoyu that stuff is expensive! I'm thinking it may just be better to forgo the soy sauce. I don't think Ray is a fan of fermented products or soybeans so its probably not doing anything great for my health anyway.
Yes, you are right, it is expensive. I guess since I only use it occasionally it lasts a long time, so the expense really isn't that great, compared to daily use. But, if you get a chance to try it, there is no other soy sauce like it (to me), at least commercially available.

cyclops

Yes, you are right, it is expensive. I guess since I only use it occasionally it lasts a long time, so the expense really isn't that great, compared to daily use. But, if you get a chance to try it, there is no other soy sauce like it (to me), at least commercially available.

I appreciate the tip. It looks really good.