Experience With Ephedrine?

Lightbringer

I tested out the popular ECA stack (Ephederine, caffeine and aspirin) and boy it has quite an effect. Pulse, temperature and alertness all up significantly. I think I need to reduce the amounts as I might be over stimulated. Some of the studies here mention an increase in metabolism and dopamine:
http://examine.com/supplements/ephedrine/

Has anyone experimented with this before?

OP
Lightbringer

Lightbringer

Such_Saturation said:
post 103742 Ray Peat supplement? :cool:
Thanks, I just entered this in haidut's giveaway as a future supplement idea :idea: The legal status of the E in ECA is a bit ambiguous. I think in small doses this should qualify to be a Peat friendly supplement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems half way between amphetamines and adrenaline :ss

OP
Lightbringer

Lightbringer

Such_Saturation said:
post 103751 Seems half way between amphetamines and adrenaline :ss
:shock: I was hoping it was more in line with Dinitrophenol. Guess I have some reading to do :geek:

Kaspar_Hauser said:
post 103727 I tested out the popular ECA stack (Ephederine, caffeine and aspirin) and boy it has quite an effect. Pulse, temperature and alertness all up significantly. I think I need to reduce the amounts as I might be over stimulated. Some of the studies here mention an increase in metabolism and dopamine:

It produces an enormous euphoric effect and increases metabolism through the stress hormones. It's something you don't want to use.

I still wouldn't mind having some :ss2

OP
Lightbringer

Lightbringer

http://www.nature.com/cmi/journal/v10/n ... 0133a.html

In this study, we reported that EH also plays an important role in the control of the inflammatory response. EH increased IL-10 and decreased proinflammatory cytokine (IL-6, tumor-necrosis factor (TNF)-α, IL-12 and IL-1β) expression

EH may be a new potential anti-inflammatory drug that can be useful for treating severe invasive Gram-positive bacterial infection.

What do you think? From a layman's perspective, it seems Team ECA 1, Team amphetamines 0 :) Hope some geeks can chime in.

schultz

I experimented with it when I was younger. It was awesome, though I started to realize I didn't want to do anything physical without first taking some so I decided to stop taking it. From a Peat perspective it seems like something to avoid, but I was thinking about it recently and realize I don't really know how it works. I assume it raises stress hormones, like other people mentioned.

Does anyone know the logic and/or science behind the 3 drugs taken together? Specifically in regards to fat loss?

michael94

schultz said:
post 103782
I tested out the popular ECA stack (Ephederine, caffeine and aspirin) and boy it has quite an effect. Pulse, temperature and alertness all up significantly. I think I need to reduce the amounts as I might be over stimulated. Some of the studies here mention an increase in metabolism and dopamine:

schultz said:
post 103782 I experimented with it when I was younger. It was awesome, though I started to realize I didn't want to do anything physical without first taking some so I decided to stop taking it. From a Peat perspective it seems like something to avoid, but I was thinking about it recently and realize I don't really know how it works. I assume it raises stress hormones, like other people mentioned.

Does anyone know the logic and/or science behind the 3 drugs taken together? Specifically in regards to fat loss?

They are synergistic together, at least E + C and C + A are for sure not sure of E + A. It increases fatty acid use iirc much like clenbuterol, so it tends to spare some LBM on a diet. Both act on the beta receptors ( ephedrine and clen ). It also great for killing appetite and supplying "energy" on diet when both of those things are problematic, though this is from stress hormones so not very healthy.

Those are the reasons why ECA has a large clinical and HUGE anecdotal track record of success. I use it myself even if it's not the best thing for me, makes dieting to low bf% quickly more doable

As a side note, people have in recent years been leaving out the aspirin component which is a huge mistake, lots of misinformation.

I think it could be a safer analogue to cold thermogenesis and ice baths for losing fat. Or maybe it's the other way around.

Daimyo

I've taken ephedrine and did ECA stack in past. It makes you feel great, but it's a stimulant - not sustainable for long term health.

icecreamlover said:
post 105769
As a side note, people have in recent years been leaving out the aspirin component which is a huge mistake, lots of misinformation

I am also wondering about aspirin. It's an unoccupy you mitochondrias, but also prevents fatty acid liberation from your fat storage tissue?

michael94

Daimyo said:
post 105795 I've taken ephedrine and did ECA stack in past. It makes you feel great, but it's a stimulant - not sustainable for long term health.

icecreamlover said:
post 105769
As a side note, people have in recent years been leaving out the aspirin component which is a huge mistake, lots of misinformation

I am also wondering about aspirin. It's an unoccupy you mitochondrias, but also prevents fatty acid liberation from your fat storage tissue?

It increases glucose use right? So say its depleting glycogen stores over using fat then that balances out because depleting glycogen increases fatty acid use in general and when you eat carbs later those calories preferentially fill glycogen while fatty acids still being used for energy. I think that's on the right track maybe haidut can chime in

NathanK

The aspirin prob adds to any uncoupling effect. There are ECA stack discussions on the board that can be looked up. Most likely they were in DNP or aspirin uncoupling threads.

Herb doctors brought ephedrine up in the allergy interview and Ray seemed indifferent or may even have some benefit. He did say he much preferred methyxanthines. Maybe even PEA in very small doses.

Progesterone

The aspirin prob adds to any uncoupling effect. There are ECA stack discussions on the board that can be looked up. Most likely they were in DNP or aspirin uncoupling threads.

Herb doctors brought ephedrine up in the allergy interview and Ray seemed indifferent or may even have some benefit. He did say he much preferred methyxanthines. Maybe even PEA in very small doses.

Thanks for your feedback sir.

I am really wondering if used in low dosages (16mg-24mg MAX a day) if ephedrine hcl could be beneficial...

OR

is the way it goes about increasing metabolism and whatnot, counterproductive to what we want?

this threads needs Mr. haidut.

Ephedrine: New Study Confirms Metabolic Effects of Forbidden "Weight Loss"-Drug - SuppVersity: Nutrition and Exercise Science for Everyone

The magnitude of the treatment effect was 3.0% of the group average untreated overnight energy expenditure for the acute response and 5.1% for the chronic response.
The energy expenditure increments were associated with increments in fat oxidation which reached significance when chronic treatment was compared to the untreated state. There were no significant effects of treatment on carbohydrate or protein oxidation.Thus, the study only confirms conventional wisdom that: Ephedrin may help weight loss through
  1. a slight increase in metabolic rate
  2. a shift in substrate metabolism / increase in fatty acid oxidation

Last edited:

cyclops

If ephedrine turns out to be a good thing I will be first in line. Took ECA stack many years ago and nothing ever made me feel happier.

schultz

I raised concern in another thread about it.

Norepinephrine has been shown to increase aromatase dramatically. If ephedrine raises norepinephrine then you could see an increase in estrogen and a decrease in testosterone when supplementing with it. Here are some quotes from studies I've found:

Acute effect of ephedrine on 24-h energy balance. - PubMed - NCBI
"Ephedrine (50 mg thrice daily) modestly increases energy expenditure in normal human subjects. A lack of binding of ephedrine to beta3-adrenoreceptors and the observed decrease in urinary noradrenaline during ephedrine treatment suggest that the thermogenic effect of ephedrine results from direct beta1-/beta2-adrenoreceptor agonism. An indirect beta3-adrenergic effect through the release of noradrenaline seems unlikely as urinary noradrenaline decreased significantly with ephedrine."

What the underlined could indicate is that ephedrine causes the body to retain norepinephrine.

Another study said this:

The Sympathomimetic Actions of l -Ephedrine and d -Pseudoephedrine: Direct Receptor Activation or Norepinephrine Release?
"Its stimulant actions result from direct and indirect activation of [alpha] - and [beta]-adrenoceptors (2,3). The major mechanism of its indirect action is considered to be release of norepinephrine from peripheral sympathetic neurons and, possibly, inhibition of neuronal norepinephrine reuptake, rather than a centrally mediated action (4)."

Anyway that's about as far as I've gotten (yes gotten is a word :cool: )

So basically the concern is: Ephedrine may raise norepinephrine and norepinephrine may raise aromatase

schultz

If ephedrine turns out to be a good thing I will be first in line. Took ECA stack many years ago and nothing ever made me feel happier.

Yah it's freaking awesome lol. I was definitely addicted to it 10 or so years ago.