Exercise Lowers Estrogen. Really?

haidut

Forum Supporter

If fat mass is lost then estrogen will decline. The problem is that these studies do not do follow ups so if these people's thyroid was destroyed by excessive exercise they will quickly pile up the weight back on and their liver will not not be working due to the hypothyroidism. So, they would possibly end up worse than they started.

ddjd

ive noticed jogging for 30 minutes reduces my estrogen. however, i would only go jogging once a week at the most.

EIRE24

If fat mass is lost then estrogen will decline. The problem is that these studies do not do follow ups so if these people's thyroid was destroyed by excessive exercise they will quickly pile up the weight back on and their liver will not not be working due to the hypothyroidism. So, they would possibly end up worse than they started.
What would you advise for someone to recover from this, if this was the case?

haidut

Forum Supporter

In a situation like this, thyroid and a steroid course would likely be needed. A progesterone/DHEA combo may do the trick, but for more severe cases of sarcopenia coupled with fat gain I would try progesterone+T or progesterone+DHT and keep at it until sufficient fat is lost to be able to continue on thyroid only.

superGrover

ive noticed jogging for 30 minutes reduces my estrogen. however, i would only go jogging once a week at the most.
How did you notice that? Checking symptoms? If so, what symptoms? And did it have a lasting effect or was the estrogen worse later?

ddjd

How did you notice that? Checking symptoms? If so, what symptoms? And did it have a lasting effect or was the estrogen worse later?
i have various markers in my body - loose stools, dandruff, inflamed eyes, bloated stomach, belly fat, bad sleep, - all these reduce significantly after exercise. exercise does reduce estrogen IMO but i would never go for ridicuously long jogs. 30 minutes once a week.

Luckytype

i have various markers in my body - loose stools, dandruff, inflamed eyes, bloated stomach, belly fat, bad sleep, - all these reduce significantly after exercise. exercise does reduce estrogen IMO but i would never go for ridicuously long jogs. 30 minutes once a week.
I have these same things, both during times of heavy weight training with excessive duration and in current times of easy long walks with no focus on weights.

I think the stress of exercising caused an elevation of estro in my case.

ddjd

I have these same things, both during times of heavy weight training with excessive duration and in current times of easy long walks with no focus on weights.

Well I'm just talking about cardio- light jogging for 30 minutes. I have no idea what the mechanism is but it definitely reduces Estrogen burden.

If anyone knows the mechanism behind estrogen reduction through exercise please share! @Travis ?

ddjd

Just saw this article

This study indicates that exercise can lower levels of circulating estrogens and increase levels of a protein called sex hormone binding globulin (SHBG — a blood-borne protein) that binds up free-estrogen in the serum," McTiernan said

Regular exercise lowers estrogens

ddjd

Exercise appeared to be associated with an increase in the 2-OHE1/16α-OHE1 ratio, but no other differences in estrogen metabolites or ratios were identified.

ddjd

I wonder if taking a thyroid supplement several hours after some light cardio exercise would help?

Jaydogg23

I enjoy this forum and wanted to contribute to the exercise discussion. There is a delicate balance (aka "the poison is in the dose") for exercise, but I have come to the conclusion that light to moderate intensity exercise (i.e., 55 to 70% of MHR) is beneficial to thyroid function (short-term and long-term). It is the anaerobic (aka, HIIT, Metcon, breathless, puke ya brains out, etc) that is so damaging, and I believe this is aligned with what Dr. Peat has been preaching. Please see attached study regarding moderate intensity exercise and 3 month follow-up on thyroid function.

Attachments

• Thyroid and Exercise Study.pdf
    460.1 KB · Views: 17

Waynish

Doing exercise is increasing your metabolism during that exercise, in general.

Spartan300

My experience is that you can definitely overtrain/dig yourself into a hole with excessive intense exercise which will lead to estrogenic symptoms.

My ability to recover from exercise is currently compromised. I can do the work, it's my ability to recover that seems impaired. Likely due to years of overtraining with weights.

Symptoms include insomnia (intense training worsens), reduced libido, low mood & estrogenic symptoms. Blood tests for T (25nmol/L)/DHT/thyroid (TSH 2.5/T4 15?, not sure of range, won't test T3) all come back 'normal' for what it's worth. I've lost around 20 pounds and a lot of strength over the last 5 years and I'd like to get it back.

I feel I need to really back off the weights for a while but as someone who has always had a problem with having a 'slight' build I am fearful of losing further hard earned muscle.

I've been trying several supplements including some of @haidut (Estroban/Gonadin/Lapodin/Androsterone), pregnenolone/progesterone/DHA with varying degrees of success but nothing so far has made a step change.

Does anyone have a view on what would be a good protocol to follow for someone with these symptoms?

Luckytype

Its taken about 2ish years to improve waking temps from 96 to an inconsistent mid 97 number. Other things are beginning to improve but I was another bodyabuser. Frankly I have no idea how I did it so long.

@Sergio you may be doing the correct things it just may take a longer time than you think or expect

Spartan300

You may be right although I've been working at this for 18months or so.

I mentioned in another thread some time back (over a year) that there was a brief period of around 5 days when something clicked for me. When I went to bed somehow I know I was going to sleep & it was the deepest most restorative sleep I'd had in a decade. I woke up with temps between 97.7 & 98.1 for those few days & I honestly felt like I was 25 again. I'm actually 52. It was incredible.

I racked my brain for anything I was doing differently at the time & the only thing I could come up with was that I'd consciously backed of the weights. I was still training but I'd dialed back on the intensity.

One thing that corroborates this theory is that because I felt so good for a few days I decided I'd be ok to up the intensity of a workout and bang, I was back in the hole & have remained there since.

The way that rejuvenated health occurred gives me hope that I can find it again. Lighter workouts here we come.....