Exercise Help

Saphire

I apologize if this question has already been addressed. There is just so much great information from people I can't seem to go through it all. I tried to work out twice now. Both times I used Forefront health's hyporevolution exercise program. Which is very steady movements like squats, resting 4 seconds in between each squat. I did 10 reps 2 sets. Them to other exercises with 10 reps, 2 sets. Them i took a light 10min wall. After words I immediately gained 2 pounds. For 3 to 4 days I felt like a balloon. I was fatigued. Is this inflamation? This is happened twice now. Makes me not want to work out, however, I have gained 20 lbs in 2 years and need to get it off. Could someone help?

Tenacity

What do you mean you immediately gained 2 pounds? That's not possible without adding mass to your body in some way (food, liquid, clothes, etc.). Exercise might redistribute where water is located in your body but it can't make you gain weight...

Gl;itch.e

Possibly a few things to look at here.

1. Increased Glycogen storage from stimulating the muscle. This type of "rapid gain" would level out as muscle can only store so much Glycogen. The muscle would have to grow significantly larger to be able to hold more Glycogen. (muscle glycogen by weight is something like 1g sugar 3g water)

2. Temporary swelling (water retention) due to the stress of unfamiliar exercise. This should dissipate as one becomes used to the stress of the exercise.

3. Less possible but its been shown in studies that women are more prone to overfeeding after exercise than men. It appears that certain exercise can have a hunger inducing effect in females whereas the same type of exercise can have a blunting effect on a mans appetite. But if you are accounting for total food and calories that can be controlled.

Just what springs to mind.

OP
Saphire

Saphire

What do you mean you immediately gained 2 pounds? That's not possible without adding mass to your body in some way (food, liquid, clothes, etc.). Exercise might redistribute where water is located in your body but it can't make you gain weight...

I was feeling bloated so I got on my scale I was 2 pounds heavier then my previous weighing, which was a couple hours before workout. I thought the same thing. However, I kept that for about 3-4 days and my body felt very bloated, especially in the areas I worked out for exercise.

Gl;itch.e

I was feeling bloated so I got on my scale I was 2 pounds heavier then my previous weighing, which was a couple hours before workout. I thought the same thing. However, I kept that for about 3-4 days and my body felt very bloated, especially in the areas I worked out for exercise.
Can only be water related then. Did you drink extra water due to the exercise perhaps?

OP
Saphire

Saphire

Can only be water related then. Did you drink extra water due to the exercise perhaps?
No I don't drink water. I usually sip on the Orange juice/ milk drink that someone suggested on here. Also this lasted 3-4 days. I really think it has to do with inflamation.

beachbum

No I don't drink water. I usually sip on the Orange juice/ milk drink that someone suggested on here. Also this lasted 3-4 days. I really think it has to do with inflamation.
Hi,

If you think its inflamation then take aleve,ibpro or aspirin which ever one you regularly use and see if that changes anything.. just a thhought

Sucrates

Exercise induces inflammation and increases some water weight, this is totally normal.

whodathunkit

For 3 to 4 days I felt like a balloon. I was fatigued. Is this inflamation? This is happened twice now. Makes me not want to work out, however, I have gained 20 lbs in 2 years and need to get it off. Could someone help?
Sounds like Post Exertional Malaise, or PEM. Just posted about it in this thread.

Exercise Intolerance?

When I had PEM mildly, before going into much worse metabolic problems, what you described is how I used to get. I'd retain water sometimes, and was fatigued after a minor to moderate amount of exercise. It would make me not want to work out, for sure.

Just curious...have you ever done low-carb eating?

OP
Saphire

Saphire

Sounds like Post Exertional Malaise, or PEM. Just posted about it in this thread.

Exercise Intolerance?

When I had PEM mildly, before going into much worse metabolic problems, what you described is how I used to get. I'd retain water sometimes, and was fatigued after a minor to moderate amount of exercise. It would make me not want to work out, for sure.

Just curious...have you ever done low-carb eating?

Yes, unfortunately I was a low carb eater for about 10 years.

whodathunkit

Low-carb was one of the roots of my metabolic problems, too. If you look around you see that a lot...people develop these metabolic problems after going low carb for a while. Sounds like you probably already know that, though. IMO there are usually other things like stress that go into it, but low carb is definitely a big player.

You're moving into a cleaner sugar/carb burning metabolism now...?

OP
Saphire

Saphire

Low-carb was one of the roots of my metabolic problems, too. If you look around you see that a lot...people develop these metabolic problems after going low carb for a while. Sounds like you probably already know that, though. IMO there are usually other things like stress that go into it, but low carb is definitely a big player.

You're moving into a cleaner sugar/carb burning metabolism now...?
I read your previous post that had the link in it about exercise and a lot of acronyms. That is a lot of information for me right now. I have to definitely revisit that page when I'm more alert, and able to digest everything that was in that article. I have been having a bad couple of days of exhaustion and brain fog. One question I do have for you, the whole foods that you are speaking of, is that the ray peat way of eating? And you are absolutely right I'm finding out that the low-carb eating did more damage than good. However, the weight gain for me is very depressing, I've had to buy new clothes because of the weight gain. As a woman, that is very depressing. However, I am trying to focus on getting healthy versus the weight. Thank you so much for your feedback, greatly appreciated!

beachbum

I read your previous post that had the link in it about exercise and a lot of acronyms. That is a lot of information for me right now. I have to definitely revisit that page when I'm more alert, and able to digest everything that was in that article. I have been having a bad couple of days of exhaustion and brain fog. One question I do have for you, the whole foods that you are speaking of, is that the ray peat way of eating? And you are absolutely right I'm finding out that the low-carb eating did more damage than good. However, the weight gain for me is very depressing, I've had to buy new clothes because of the weight gain. As a woman, that is very depressing. However, I am trying to focus on getting healthy versus the weight. Thank you so much for your feedback, greatly appreciated!
Hi Saphire,
Most definitely focus on your health first. I too gained but did reach a plateau. Then when you become stronger to exercise to loss weight you could have funky moments, thats when you back off on exercise and stress to. Im still trying and my health has improved very much but I m still not there yet and exercising is my testing point because I have exercise intolerance too. Hang in there. We will all figured things out together.

Last edited:

whodathunkit

However, the weight gain for me is very depressing, I've had to buy new clothes because of the weight gain. As a woman, that is very depressing.
Sweetie, I'm a woman. I gained A LOT of weight around the time the exercise intolerance and other CFS symptoms took hold real good. I mean a lot more than 20lbs. So I understand completely what you're going through.

Good news is that after over a decade of being heavy, I finally lost the weight and have been able to exercise regularly and feel great again because of the strategies I used in that post in the other thread. Not exactly where I want to be but I will get there and I'm much happier where I'm at. Apparently I'm kinda hot again, judging by the feedback I get from men. :lol: So there's hope. But I don't really care so much about that any more, even if it's nice to have positive feedback. Like you said, it's about health. Only when I gave up the stress of being so concerned with weight loss did it start to come off. Correcting the underlying health issues that cause the weight gain is much more important. And interestingly, when I did become invested in weight loss is when things kind of came to a screeching halt. Working through that now, but again, I know I'll get where I'm supposed to be, which is still a bit lighter than where I am now. Just gotta never ever give up.

Peat advocates real whole food but his "style" of eating as interpreted by "mainstream Peat" followers doesn't really work for me. That is, the prohibition against starches, the extra sugar, the lots of caffeine, etc. I don't do well and am not particularly satisfied eating fruit and protein and coffee, which is kind of an oversimplified way of looking at "Peat style". Strict Peat style may be more suited for men than women, although that's always up for debate.

But what Peat has done for me and that has done me an enormous amount of good is given me an appreciation of how crappy low-carb is as a dietary choice and how important carbs are and why; re-taught me that fruit and fructose is not the demon and is instead good for us; clued me in as to how damaging an overabundance of polyunsaturated fat is to our metabolism; and taught me not to fear constructive use of antibiotics to correct gut problems. But Peat's prohibition against starch is one of the biggest problems myself and a lot of other people have with his ideas. I like my starch and find it doesn't cause me the problems he attributes to it, as long as my gut is healthy.

Have you seen this thread?

Katharina Dalton: The Dietary "musts" For Improving Progesterone (Hint: No Low Carb, No Starvation)

I'm giving this a go and so far so good. Feels pretty good and seems like an effective strategy for getting back into a sugar burning metabolism and correcting metabolic dysfunction caused by low carb. You might consider giving it a go, too. I'm finding I can actually eat less fat and less food while eating more often, and be satisfied eating this way, if I want to do a little portion control. Without overdoing portion control, of course.

Good luck! :)

OP
Saphire

Saphire

Sweetie, I'm a woman. I gained A LOT of weight around the time the exercise intolerance and other CFS symptoms took hold real good. I mean a lot more than 20lbs. So I understand completely what you're going through.

Good news is that after over a decade of being heavy, I finally lost the weight and have been able to exercise regularly and feel great again because of the strategies I used in that post in the other thread. Not exactly where I want to be but I will get there and I'm much happier where I'm at. Apparently I'm kinda hot again, judging by the feedback I get from men. :lol: So there's hope. But I don't really care so much about that any more, even if it's nice to have positive feedback. Like you said, it's about health. Only when I gave up the stress of being so concerned with weight loss did it start to come off. Correcting the underlying health issues that cause the weight gain is much more important. And interestingly, when I did become invested in weight loss is when things kind of came to a screeching halt. Working through that now, but again, I know I'll get where I'm supposed to be, which is still a bit lighter than where I am now. Just gotta never ever give up.

Peat advocates real whole food but his "style" of eating as interpreted by "mainstream Peat" followers doesn't really work for me. That is, the prohibition against starches, the extra sugar, the lots of caffeine, etc. I don't do well and am not particularly satisfied eating fruit and protein and coffee, which is kind of an oversimplified way of looking at "Peat style". Strict Peat style may be more suited for men than women, although that's always up for debate.

But what Peat has done for me and that has done me an enormous amount of good is given me an appreciation of how crappy low-carb is as a dietary choice and how important carbs are and why; re-taught me that fruit and fructose is not the demon and is instead good for us; clued me in as to how damaging an overabundance of polyunsaturated fat is to our metabolism; and taught me not to fear constructive use of antibiotics to correct gut problems. But Peat's prohibition against starch is one of the biggest problems myself and a lot of other people have with his ideas. I like my starch and find it doesn't cause me the problems he attributes to it, as long as my gut is healthy.

Have you seen this thread?

Katharina Dalton: The Dietary "musts" For Improving Progesterone (Hint: No Low Carb, No Starvation)

I'm giving this a go and so far so good. Feels pretty good and seems like an effective strategy for getting back into a sugar burning metabolism and correcting metabolic dysfunction caused by low carb. You might consider giving it a go, too. I'm finding I can actually eat less fat and less food while eating more often, and be satisfied eating this way, if I want to do a little portion control. Without overdoing portion control, of course.

Thank you so much for the comforting words and feed back. After I did posted my last reply, I thought to myself" I may be talking to a women" lol, I didn't really look at your information. Sorry, My bad.

I remember running into something somewhere, probably on here, that had that same link in it. I was going to read it but never got around to it. Sometimes I feel like my little brain just can't take much more information.

If you don't mind me asking. Would you be willing to give me your routine on how and what you took when it came to the supplements that were from your article to get you better? If it is to much for you or all that information is already in the article then I will have to snap out of my slumber and read it.

I am not sure if you have ever heard of Forefront health, Tom Brimeyer. He is actually where I first started this journey 6 months ago. Then after researching his stuff is what lead me into Ray Peat. Tom talks about the importance of tuber vegetables and fruit, not as much fruit as The Ray peat eating plan. I tried to do just fruit also and it didn't work for me. Sometimes I just feel overwhelmed, I am trying to stay on focus.
Thanks again for your feed back.

whodathunkit

@Saphire: I totally understand about the reduced cognitive function. I'm still suffering from it myself, although not nearly as bad as I used to. When I started all this about four years ago it was pretty bad, though. I got through it. You can, too. :)

But the issue of how I recovered is kind of complex, and involved a lot of trial and error over the course of several years. It's almost beyond me now to delineate it in a timely manner. I don't have the time to do it properly, in a narrative that wouldn't beget more questions than answered if tried.

Also to consider is that we are all different...what worked for me may not work for you. You have to decide where to start and where to move, based on how you feel and what you think you need. Another problem is you have to work through your symptomology yourself...no one else can really guide you through that.

It sounds like you're already at a good place and have figured out at least one thing that currently doesn't work for you (that is, fruit as sole source of carbs with no starch). Maybe you should just focus on that right now. I do know that getting too stretched out with trying too many things at once is counter-productive. If you can't figure out what's causing your good or bad side effects then what you're doing is useless. When you find somehting that works for you, focus on only that for a while. Then add something else. Etc.

If you're early stages and still kind of young, diet alone may fix you. But you have to give it time to work.

Ultimately, what we really just have to do is keep our pea brains :lol: going through info over and over and trying things until we find what works for us. It's okay and actually preferable to do this slowly. This is a marathon, not a sprint, no matter what our frantic pea brains may be telling us. It's the rest of our lives!

For perspective: 20lbs is nothing, honey. I got *fat*. 100lbs overweight. Thank God for big boobs and the fact that I grew a nice bubble butt, so it was actually fairly balanced even if too much. :p Nobody thought I was that heavy. Currently I'm still more than 20lbs away from where I started when I began to gain and go in the tank metabolically. But that's okay because I feel pretty good and know I'll get back to my curvy-lean youthful weight. I'm still trying new things all the time...although not too much at once. ;)

Anyway, I got my info on nutrition from decades of reading and trying this and that. Books, forums, whatever. Like you, a "strict" Ray Peat style of fruit, sugar, protein, and no starch doesn't seem to suit me that well. I seem to need some starch.

I got my info on my most successful supplement regimens from a forum called Phoenix Rising. I used (still use) a bunch of different supplements including methylfolate, methyl B12, l-carnitine fumarate, and adeno B12. Lots more than that, though, and at different dosages during different times and for different symptoms that popped up. If you go there, search for posts by user Freddd. I am also over there as whodathunkit, you can search me. Freddd's protocol was my springboard. There is TONS of good info on that board.

I got a lot of information on using hormones, T3, and antibiotics from this forum. Worth noting is I couldn't use bioidentical hormones until I had recovered to a certain extent. They didn't work for me and caused bad sides when I was still in bad shape.

I wish I could say more but those are about the only pointers I'm comfortable giving these days. If you try something and have specific questions I might be able to help with that. But you have to get your personal ball rolling based on getting the information and considering what's right for you.

beachbum

@Saphire: I totally understand about the reduced cognitive function. I'm still suffering from it myself, although not nearly as bad as I used to. When I started all this about four years ago it was pretty bad, though. I got through it. You can, too. :)

But the issue of how I recovered is kind of complex, and involved a lot of trial and error over the course of several years. It's almost beyond me now to delineate it in a timely manner. I don't have the time to do it properly, in a narrative that wouldn't beget more questions than answered if tried.

Also to consider is that we are all different...what worked for me may not work for you. You have to decide where to start and where to move, based on how you feel and what you think you need. Another problem is you have to work through your symptomology yourself...no one else can really guide you through that.

It sounds like you're already at a good place and have figured out at least one thing that currently doesn't work for you (that is, fruit as sole source of carbs with no starch). Maybe you should just focus on that right now. I do know that getting too stretched out with trying too many things at once is counter-productive. If you can't figure out what's causing your good or bad side effects then what you're doing is useless. When you find somehting that works for you, focus on only that for a while. Then add something else. Etc.

If you're early stages and still kind of young, diet alone may fix you. But you have to give it time to work.

Ultimately, what we really just have to do is keep our pea brains :lol: going through info over and over and trying things until we find what works for us. It's okay and actually preferable to do this slowly. This is a marathon, not a sprint, no matter what our frantic pea brains may be telling us. It's the rest of our lives!

For perspective: 20lbs is nothing, honey. I got *fat*. 100lbs overweight. Thank God for big boobs and the fact that I grew a nice bubble butt, so it was actually fairly balanced even if too much. :p Nobody thought I was that heavy. Currently I'm still more than 20lbs away from where I started when I began to gain and go in the tank metabolically. But that's okay because I feel pretty good and know I'll get back to my curvy-lean youthful weight. I'm still trying new things all the time...although not too much at once. ;)

Anyway, I got my info on nutrition from decades of reading and trying this and that. Books, forums, whatever. Like you, a "strict" Ray Peat style of fruit, sugar, protein, and no starch doesn't seem to suit me that well. I seem to need some starch.

I got my info on my most successful supplement regimens from a forum called Phoenix Rising. I used (still use) a bunch of different supplements including methylfolate, methyl B12, l-carnitine fumarate, and adeno B12. Lots more than that, though, and at different dosages during different times and for different symptoms that popped up. If you go there, search for posts by user Freddd. I am also over there as whodathunkit, you can search me. Freddd's protocol was my springboard. There is TONS of good info on that board.

I got a lot of information on using hormones, T3, and antibiotics from this forum. Worth noting is I couldn't use bioidentical hormones until I had recovered to a certain extent. They didn't work for me and caused bad sides when I was still in bad shape.

I wish I could say more but those are about the only pointers I'm comfortable giving these days. If you try something and have specific questions I might be able to help with that. But you have to get your personal ball rolling based on getting the information and considering what's right for you.

@whodathunkit You sound like me. I don't know how old you are but I just turned 53 this week. Lol when I turned 50 the dam broke open evwn more then the problems I was having but that's when my health turned worse. I had every problem you could think of. Just like you I have read and read way more then I did 20 plus years ago with a goiter and hypo. Anyway, when I did my research I followed matt stone which helped alot. I couldn't even use my progesterone cream at that time either. Carbs helped me then and now. Last week I tried the keto diet that lasted 3 days lol.. The past year and half was the worse health wise for me. It has taken me a year or so to get me to think of exercising but still having a little trouble with energy, well lets say having energy doing the exercise but its the aftermath of recovery. I to agree about the eating on this site, I need my starch too. I gain about 30 lbs and not happy with it but agree with you with not stressing about losing the weight because it is making matters worse. I know I asked the same question too and I m sorry because it is very difficult to explain how it got resolved to the point we are at now. It is very individual. All I know with myself it was adrenal glands, thyroid, liver, and I believe the cause was from estrogen dominance and stress and lowering progesterone as well as aging. Well all I have to say I thank God healing me this far and giving me the wisdom to figure it out.

@Saphire. Be patient and listen to you body and your gut feeling. And alot of reading, yes it does get confusing and frustrating at times but you will learn and figure it out. Yes it will be trial and error which is why you should go slow, this is very important because if you jump into something gun ho it will set you back even further. Take it from me did that mistake to many times and actually this past week is when I am realized I need to really listen to my mistakes seriously. Keep us posted and ask questions if you need.

whodathunkit

@beachbum: NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO keto! NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER keto! :lol:

Gad. Almost gave me a heart attack there. Low carb with high protein will KILL your metabolism in the long run. Just ain't worth it. Esp. not at our age. We're the same age, BTW. :)

FWIW, I feel better physically now I did 10 or even 20 years ago. I've been concentrating on my health and reversing decades of metabolic decline for the last 3.5 years or so. It's been hard and it can be a slog, but is very rewarding if you just don't give up. I wish I'd had this knowledge and this level of dedication when I was younger and less in the tank metabolically and hadn't done so much damage.

It really does help to concentrate on the health aspects instead of the aesthetics like losing weight.

beachbum

@beachbum: NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO keto! NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER keto! :lol:

Gad. Almost gave me a heart attack there. Low carb with high protein will KILL your metabolism in the long run. Just ain't worth it. Esp. not at our age. We're the same age, BTW. :)

FWIW, I feel better physically now I did 10 or even 20 years ago. I've been concentrating on my health and reversing decades of metabolic decline for the last 3.5 years or so. It's been hard and it can be a slog, but is very rewarding if you just don't give up. I wish I'd had this knowledge and this level of dedication when I was younger and less in the tank metabolically and hadn't done so much damage.

It really does help to concentrate on the health aspects instead of the aesthetics like losing weight.
lol.. on that 3 rd day I got a migrane...I was pissed..oh and lost pay because I had to leave work in alot of pain. I cant take aleve during waking hours, it makes me sleepy so had to wait til I got home.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals