OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Cortisol, like inflammatoom, is good, and part of the body's stress response.

Chronic cortisol release is bad, like chronic low-grade inflammation. What I mean by that is, the problem is more upstream, whereby cortisol is only but a stress response. Stress response, or simply stress, is what should be improved.

When it comes to mental disorders, the correct keyword here was mental resilience. I'll look for a recent conference that was done on this topic, between stress, inflammation, and mental disease.

Right, cortisol, serotonin, estrogen, etc all have their role in acute response to stress. But the problem is adaptation to such state when experiencing chronic stress. After that most of these stress mediators form positive feedback cycles with each other and it is hard for a person to snap out of it.

Mazzle

I was going to make a new post today asking for help. My problem is exactly as described on this thread. Anytime I try and add exercise or fasting my weight goes up. Like I have gained 8lb in the last two weeks! The weird thing, is that if I stop exercising and fasting my weight remains stable, but at this new elevated level.

I have done strict fasting and exercise in the past. It worked when I was younger but second time around was not so effective and eventually , despite doing 36 hour fasts every other day, the weight stated increasing. I really really messed up my metabolism.

How do I get off this cycle? What can I do to block cortisol and possibly adrenalin?

NewACC

You are right, it was both CR + exercise. I will change the title. But if you look at the third to the last quote they cite other studies that also found exercise to lead to IR and obesity (post-cessation) and those studies did not combine exercise with CR. Here are the links.
Sustained rise in triacylglycerol synthesis and increased epididymal fat mass when rats cease voluntary wheel running. - PubMed - NCBI
Alterations in insulin receptor signalling in the rat epitrochlearis muscle upon cessation of voluntary exercise. - PubMed - NCBI

Peat does talk about exercise and I also mentioned it in a few of Danny's podcasts - basically it should be stimulating activity, preferably resistance training, and done at a level where you can hold a conversation while doing it. More than that and you are hyperventilating.
But, @haidut , you have catastrophically lost cause and effect here. I mean that for any animal and human movement is a necessity from which it is impossible to isolate. And this fundamentally changes the meaning of these two studies to mean that VOLUNTARY, that is, so to speak, desirable, training and movement WAS NEEDED to maintain insulin sensitivity and overall metabolism.

Yes, I agree. But that is the point though. If you are healthy then do NOT start exercising either otherwise you will have to keep it up indefinitely and eventually the crash will come as I mentioned in my post to dibble and then you will become insulin resistant.
+1

I haven’t been to the gym in 30 years, and even back then when I did go I did mostly weights, never the treadmill or other breathless exercise. I did take a couple semesters of tennis in college and played racquetball, but that felt good, not like the stressful feeling of running. Your post explains a lot as to why I have successfully gotten away with not having to go to the gym, where my friends still go and really struggle with their weight.