Excessive saliva production, need desperate help

PleaseDoo21

Title. I've been experiencing chronic excess saliva production for almost a fortnight now. I'm having to swallow large amounts constantly in order to even string a sentence together. At first, I thought it was a mental issue, one that I could forget away, but every single time I was distracted for short intervals of time, the river under my tongue would remind me to swallow, forcing me to enter the vicious cycle again. It's at its worse when I'm trying to fall asleep, which is what made me initially believe it was a psychological thing, as I was constantly attempting to avoid the thought of swallowing/saliva in my mouth, and in doing so I was only incessantly reminded.

I thought maybe if I attempt to leave that thick layer of saliva under my tongue for a long period of time, it'd eventually dissipate and the salivary glands would no longer be under the assumption that I'm in need of more saliva. It didn't work.

I'm at a loss. The only way I'd feel comfortable is if the production was halved. It's an odd issue because the majority of the time people are complaining about a lack of saliva and/or a dry mouth. There isn't much on the internet regarding the contrary. I've read excessive acetylcholine could be a problem, as well as histamine, I've cut out eggs completely, about a week ago, no tangible improvement, however.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Have you tried anti-cholinergics / antihistamines?

I would call a doctor since this has been persisting.

golder

Not to derail, but obviously excess saliva production seems to be acetylcholine linked, and I know Ray does not favour high acetylcholine. But, isn’t the high saliva really good for teeth and oral health?

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Not to derail, but obviously excess saliva production seems to be acetylcholine linked, and I know Ray does not favour high acetylcholine. But, isn’t the high saliva really good for teeth and oral health?
Yes, there is a link with high histamine types and lack of cavities as well as more youthful look overall - don't ask me for sources

Ben.

When i was a teen and young adult i'd have more saliva than to know what to do with. When at the dentist it was like i had a sprinkler in my mouth.

Needless to say i was able to drink coke and eat junk and sweets without much issues. Nowadays with dry mouth i can barely eat anything without coating on the tongue, yellow teeth, gum receeding etc. all of which seem immune to any possible oral nuke that exists.

I'd favour more saliva than less, however i used to have OPs issue for a while and it sure is annyoing.

redsun

Saliva does keep the teeth protected so yes.

Title. I've been experiencing chronic excess saliva production for almost a fortnight now. I'm having to swallow large amounts constantly in order to even string a sentence together. At first, I thought it was a mental issue, one that I could forget away, but every single time I was distracted for short intervals of time, the river under my tongue would remind me to swallow, forcing me to enter the vicious cycle again. It's at its worse when I'm trying to fall asleep, which is what made me initially believe it was a psychological thing, as I was constantly attempting to avoid the thought of swallowing/saliva in my mouth, and in doing so I was only incessantly reminded.

I thought maybe if I attempt to leave that thick layer of saliva under my tongue for a long period of time, it'd eventually dissipate and the salivary glands would no longer be under the assumption that I'm in need of more saliva. It didn't work.

I'm at a loss. The only way I'd feel comfortable is if the production was halved. It's an odd issue because the majority of the time people are complaining about a lack of saliva and/or a dry mouth. There isn't much on the internet regarding the contrary. I've read excessive acetylcholine could be a problem, as well as histamine, I've cut out eggs completely, about a week ago, no tangible improvement, however.

You need to list what supplements you take and what you typically eat. You likely have high acetylcholine/high histamine and certain things can trigger it or make it worse.

OP
PleaseDoo21

PleaseDoo21

You need to list what supplements you take and what you typically eat. You likely have high acetylcholine/high histamine and certain things can trigger it or make it worse.
My diet is very mundane. My caloric intake is pathetic, the majority of my calories come from dinner which is always a kilogram of potatoes and 75-100g ofgrass-fed beef, alongside a mixed salad. I drink chai tea, black tea, and sometimes raw cocoa, but mostly chai, at least 3 times a day with coconut milk (lactose intolerant). A week ago I took eggs out of my diet, but before that, I was eating 4 eggs a day. Sometimes I'll drink some orange juice, maybe I'll eat some tuna and crackers, but that's about it. I've got an incredibly limited diet that revolves heavily around my dinner.

I discontinued all supplementation about three months ago. During the period which preceded that, I was taking 3g of Glycine, 1g of Magnesium, 5000IU of D3, some zinc here and there (seemed to tolerate high dosages because of the absurd raw cacao was eating at the time). That's it.

Do you have any suggestions for anti-cholinergic supplements or pharmaceuticals? I took Loratadine (anti-histamine with slightly anti-cholinergic activity) and it didn't seem to help with the saliva flow, if anything, I noticed a stronger flow. I've ordered more Mag, we'll see how that goes.

OP
PleaseDoo21

PleaseDoo21

Oh, I almost forgot, I eat a tonne of chocolate. Sometimes a bar of Lindt 90% a day.

redsun

My diet is very mundane. My caloric intake is pathetic, the majority of my calories come from dinner which is always a kilogram of potatoes and 75-100g ofgrass-fed beef, alongside a mixed salad. I drink chai tea, black tea, and sometimes raw cocoa, but mostly chai, at least 3 times a day with coconut milk (lactose intolerant). A week ago I took eggs out of my diet, but before that, I was eating 4 eggs a day. Sometimes I'll drink some orange juice, maybe I'll eat some tuna and crackers, but that's about it. I've got an incredibly limited diet that revolves heavily around my dinner.

I discontinued all supplementation about three months ago. During the period which preceded that, I was taking 3g of Glycine, 1g of Magnesium, 5000IU of D3, some zinc here and there (seemed to tolerate high dosages because of the absurd raw cacao was eating at the time). That's it.

Do you have any suggestions for anti-cholinergic supplements or pharmaceuticals? I took Loratadine (anti-histamine with slightly anti-cholinergic activity) and it didn't seem to help with the saliva flow, if anything, I noticed a stronger flow. I've ordered more Mag, we'll see how that goes.

Well I would agree that your diet seems somewhat normal. Problem is I am confident the reason why your saliva problem is worse at night is because you have a massive amount of potatoes. Potatoes (especially with the skin) are filled with glycoalkaloids and you are consuming a lot even without the skin so you are getting large amounts of glycoalkaloids at night which inhibits acetylcholinesterase (enzyme that breaks down acetylcholine). Thus you cant sleep.

To add, its generally not good to have most of your calories and protein in your dinner. Rather they should be spaced out throughout the day. Too many calories and especially protein before bed can be too stimulating. Also its probably a compounding effect your getting from the glycoalkaloids and the choline in the beef at night making it even worse.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals