Excessive Farting From Milk?

UltraSuperior

I started peating recently, since about a month.

When I was a teenager I had no problems drinking a lot of milk every day.

Haven't drank milk in about 1-2 years, and I am now drinking around 1 liter of milk every day.

However, since I'm drinking milk again I have been suffering from excessive gas production. At first I had diarrhea from milk, but now it's only gas.

Why could this be? It seems to happen more severely with organic milk.

Tenacity

Ray Peat said:
People who have told me that they have had digestive problems with milk have sometimes found that a different brand of milk doesn't cause any problem.

Milk with reduced fat content is required by US law to have vitamins D and A added. The vehicle used in the vitamin preparation, and the industrial contaminants in the “pure” vitamins themselves, are possible sources of allergens in commercial milk, so whole milk is the most likely to be free of allergens.

Ray Peat said:
Besides the idea of milk allergy, the most common reason for avoiding milk is the belief that the genes of some ethnic groups cause them to lack the enzyme, lactase, needed to digest milk sugar, lactose, and that this causes lactose intolerance, resulting in gas or diarrhea when milk is consumed. Tests have been reported in which a glass of milk will cause the lactase deficient people to have abdominal pain. However, when intolerant people have been tested, using milk without lactose for comparison, there were no differences between those receiving milk with lactose or without it. The “intolerant” people consistently tolerate having a glass with each meal.

When a group of lactase deficient people have been given some milk every day for a few weeks, they have adapted, for example with tests showing that much less hydrogen gas was produced from lactose by intestinal bacteria after they had adapted (Pribila, et al., 2000).

Ray Peat said:
Another hormonal condition that probably contributes to lactase deficiency is progesterone deficiency, since a synthetic progestin has been found to increase the enzyme (Nagpaul, et al., 1990). The particular progestin they used lacks many of progesterone's effects, but it does protect against some kinds of stress, including high estrogen and cortisol. This suggests that stress, with its increased ratio of estrogen and cortisol to progesterone, might commonly cause the enzyme to decrease.

Milk in context: allergies, ecology, and some myths

Raising the metabolic rate and steadily increasing the amount of milk consumed from a small amount to a larger amount may help.

Last edited:

sladerunner69

Haven't drank milk in about 1-2 years, and I am now drinking around 1 liter of milk every day.

However, since I'm drinking milk again I have been suffering from excessive gas production. At first I had diarrhea from milk, but now it's only gas.

So I don't get it. What are you complaining about exactly? I always thought of the epic flatulence as one of the many benefits of this diet...

Wagner83

Ray has said numerous times that gas are the fuel of life, the energy expelled from your intestines is a way for the body to propel you into the experience of an authority-free life.

sele

:D Give it time. It'll go away as your body produces more lactase enzyme.
Try drinking warm milk.

As a teenager your metabolism was higher and you could make lactase faster.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals