Excessive coffee consumption may lead to thiamine deficiency

Gabriel

Coffee and tea contain antithiamine substances. Excessive consumption may cause a subclinical thiamine deficiency. A high-coffee hyperthyroid ray peat diet with a lot of refined sugars may have an even higher thiamine demand (as thiamine requirement is higher depending on carbohydrate intake). Supplementing thiamine may be beneficial in this situation.

Although biological effects have not been clearly demonstrated in animal feeding trials, human tests have shown that the consumption of tea or coffee can cause decreased thiamin excretion and blood transketolase. The implications of these studies for the many people who drink coffee and tea are not known. The early stages of thiamin deficiency are mild and nonspecific. It is possible that heavy coffee
or tea drinkers may have nervous symptoms associated with thiamin deficiency and be misdiagnosed or not seek medical help.

Source: ANTITHIAMINS OF PLANT ORIGIN: THEIR CHEMICAL NATURE AND MODE OF ACTION

In conclusion, the case was diagnosed as Wernicke's encephalopathy secondary to hyperthyroidism that was probably exacerbated by the thiaminases present in tea.

Source: Wernicke's encephalopathy secondary to hyperthyroidism and ingestion of thiaminase-rich products

4peatssake

Re: Excessive coffee consumption may lead to thiamine defici

A high-coffee hyperthyroid ray peat diet with a lot of refined sugars

spock-dafuq.jpg

OP
Gabriel

Gabriel

Coffee (inhibits thiamine uptake) + T3 supplements (increases metabolism and hence nutrient needs) + refined sugar (pure energy without minerals and vitamins) -> Risk of thiamine deficiency

Just food for thought, can't tell you if that's really happening.

4peatssake

:lol

J

j.

Gabriel said:
Coffee (inhibits thiamine uptake) + T3 supplements (increases metabolism and hence nutrient needs) + refined sugar (pure energy without minerals and vitamins) -> Risk of thiamine deficiency

Saying that the Ray Peat diet is a diet of pure energy without minerals and vitamins is crazy. Ray Peat advises high consumption of milk, oj, liver, potatoes, shellfish, all nutrient dense sources of food. Saying that it's a diet with no minerals and vitamins because sugar has no vitamins and minerals is like saying that the Peat diet is a low sodium diet because he advises OJ which has no sodium. It's idiotic to look at one component of the diet to judge it.

Why aren't you warning about how the Peat diet increases the risk of having low sodium because he advises OJ, which has little sodium?

Why aren't you warning about how the Peat diet increases the risk of having low potassium because he advises to use salt, which has no potassium?

Why aren't you warning about how the Peat diet increases the risk of having low vitamin K2 because he advises to use gelatin, which has no vitamin K2?

What insanity.

OP
Gabriel

Gabriel

All I said is that refined sugar is pure energy (sucrose) without minerals and vitamins. That's a true statement.

I never said or implied that a RP diet is characterized by high refined sugar consumption. I said a "high-coffee hyperthyroid ray peat diet with a lot of refined sugars". This was a simple - and albeit not very exact - description for a RP diet + lots of coffee + refined sugars + T3 supplements. This obviously does only apply to a very small fraction of people. Of course that is not what RP recommends. This should be clear for everybody on a RP forum.

You guys are overly sensitive.

J

j.

Gabriel said:
All I said is that refined sugar is pure energy (sucrose) without minerals and vitamins.

Why didn't you point out that gelatin is low in minerals and vitamins, including thiamine? Sugar isn't the only thing low in thiamine. Why talk negatively only about sugar which in the context is as negative as other foods which you don't mention? In the context, your statement is nonsensical. It seems like a remnant of being a part of the anti-sugar cult.

Sure, I'm "sensitive" or annoyed by members of the anti-sugar cult, especially when they make nonsensical statements, I can't even call it an argument.

OP
Gabriel

Gabriel

I didn't intend to make a full analysis of all foods that may or may not cause nutrient depletion. I just wanted to share those studies.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals