Excess Thyroid Increases Estrogen?

Brian

For busy schedules and cold winters, do you think that heat lamp bulbs, etc are adequate replacements?

Also you mentioned Oregano Oil above, any thoughts on using activated charcoal for lowering serotonin?

I personally haven't had much noticeable effect from lamps compared to outdoor sunlight, but it's definitely better than nothing.

I've never used activated charcoal myself, but from what I know it's pretty well established that it helps with endotoxin.

James_001

Prove it))

What should that look like in terms of Thyroid biomarkers: PTH, TSH, RT3, RT4... for hypoT, hyperT, and the symptoms associated to them?

I don't think the biomarkers mean much, as I have personally tested with a low tsh despite clearly having hypo symptoms

Some doctors think that a high pulse and low tsh is always hyperthyroidism, although this can happen in hypo as well...

supernature

The regular thyroid biomarkers are not useful to tell hows the thyroid function as a whole, ok.
You probably mean body temp, basal metabolic rate, perspiration, cortisol levels, but could all that be 100% valid marker of the thyroid function as its all connected and dependent of the function of other organs, systems?

"Basal” body temperature is influenced by many things besides thyroid." - RP
"The metabolic rate is very closely related to thyroid hormone function, but defining it and measuring it have to be done with awareness of its complexity." - RP
treatment:
"An effective way to use supplements is to take a combination T4-T3 dose, e.g., 40 mcg of T4 and 10 mcg of T3 once a day, and to use a few mcg of T3 at other times in the day. Keeping a 14-day chart of pulse rate and temperature allows you to see whether the dose is producing the desired response. If the figures aren't increasing at all after a few days, the dose can be increased, until a gradual daily increment can be seen, moving toward the goal at the rate of about 1/14 per day" - RP

You say docs are misdiagnosing some people, but whether they recognize one as hypo or hyper or the reasons why its thyroid is not functioning optimal they are just prescribing supplements- to fill the gap or to suppress, which is the regular approach of the mainstream medicine, i still cant see the difference.

Many "hyperthyroid" people are actually hypo...

By this i assume you mean the inability to be deactivated triiodothyronine after its use from the body.

Parsifal

I experienced a reduction of water retention when I stopped taking thyroid over the summer. In my case, I think my t3 levels were too high in relation to t4. I had labs done during the time I stopped thyroid and was clearly hypothyroid with TSH of 17 and t4/t3 levels at bottom of range or lower. I've since resumed taking thyroid with a higher ratio of t4 (currently 9:1) and the water hasn't come back so far.

This article (http://www.tiredthyroid.com/rt3-2.html) connects excess t3 with sex hormone binding globulin to explain the rise in estrogen. I'm not smart enough to know if the research or conclusions are sound. Maybe someone could check it out...

So much different and confusing informations on thyroid out there. It seems like nobody really knows what is true.

alfredborden

Estrogen receptors seem to be activated by hypoxia. Tissues that are more adept at metabolising thyroid correctly will start to filter out more oxygen from the blood, possibly creating hypoxia for other tissues. This may result in the sensitization of some tissues to estrogen. It also seems that hypoxia induces aromatase activity as well. This would explain the higher estrogen itself. Possible remedies might be frequent bag breathing, and sodium bicarbonate supplementation for a while before experimenting with thyroid so that the body can have more co2 in reserve so that it can deliver oxygen to tissues more uniformly and efficiently. This in turn might protect against thyroid induces tissue hypoxia.

tara

Estrogen receptors seem to be activated by hypoxia. ... It also seems that hypoxia induces aromatase activity as well.
This makes sense to me.

Tissues that are more adept at metabolising thyroid correctly will start to filter out more oxygen from the blood, possibly creating hypoxia for other tissues.
Are you aware of any evidence for this, or is it just a guess? I would have thought that usually if some tissues are using more oxygen under the influence of increased thyroid, then they would also be producing more CO2. IIUC, this should improve general as well as local oxygen delivery, unless there is some specific lung dysfunction that prevents adequate oxygen uptake by blood.

Possible remedies might be frequent bag breathing, and sodium bicarbonate supplementation for a while before experimenting with thyroid so that the body can have more co2 in reserve so that it can deliver oxygen to tissues more uniformly and efficiently. This in turn might protect against thyroid induces tissue hypoxia.
I think raising CO2 levels via bag-breathing etc is probably a good idea for many people. Baking soda may depend on other factors, too - sometimes helpful but not always.

alfredborden

I dont see why bicarb could be a problem unless it is taken in excess, the reason that I proposed they might be beneficial to use together is because the bicarb may help the body retain more co2 since it would offset the blood acidifying effects which result in hyperventilation and loss of CO2.

tara

I dont see why bicarb could be a problem unless it is taken in excess, the reason that I proposed they might be beneficial to use together is because the bicarb may help the body retain more co2 since it would offset the blood acidifying effects which result in hyperventilation and loss of CO2.
Well yes, excess would be relevant.
For people whose systems are already running overly alkaline, baking soda might not be a positive addition. There are a couple of people here who seem to have got into trouble with milk-alkali syndrome after supplementing significant calcium and baking soda. For people who are running too acid, baking soda might be more helpful. Or in the context of a bout of extreme exercise.
There are probably other ways to modify the is pH balance too, such as with dietary alkaline minerals.

alfredborden

Just to make sure, I am not a proponent of alkalizing the blood just for its own sake. My reasoning behind alkalizing it is so that it might be better at retaining CO2. Given that the body can convert bicarb into CO2 it seems to be a substance that lends itself more sensibly to be used for blood ph regulations. I also dont agree with Dr.Peats recommendation of high calcium consumption at the stage of speeding up a slow metabolism in the first place so in a situation like that I would ditch the calcium for a while.

tara

Just to make sure, I am not a proponent of alkalizing the blood just for its own sake. My reasoning behind alkalizing it is so that it might be better at retaining CO2. Given that the body can convert bicarb into CO2 it seems to be a substance that lends itself more sensibly to be used for blood ph regulations.
I think it can have a positive effect as you say, that can involve higher CO2 levels.
But not in all situations, because some people's systems are already too alkaline.
I think the body generally does a good job of managing blood pH unless it is severely depleted of minerals. But the rest of the system can get quite out of balance before the blood pH goes off, and the rest of it is important too.

James_001

Just to make sure, I am not a proponent of alkalizing the blood just for its own sake. My reasoning behind alkalizing it is so that it might be better at retaining CO2. Given that the body can convert bicarb into CO2 it seems to be a substance that lends itself more sensibly to be used for blood ph regulations. I also dont agree with Dr.Peats recommendation of high calcium consumption at the stage of speeding up a slow metabolism in the first place so in a situation like that I would ditch the calcium for a while.

Care to elaborate on the calcium part?

alfredborden

Calcium requires adequate amounts of CO2 to be distributed appropriately. This is because vitamin K needs to be bound to calcium to exert its calcium regulating effects. So if your metabolism is slow and you dont produce enough CO2 than you will not be able to deal with calcium appropriately. This is my rationale.

tara

Is there an optimum time to take thyroid supplements?
If it has T3, I would think split into several doses through the day.

tara

I'm currently taking 4 small doses, last one right before bed. T3 has a short half-life.
I think Peat has said that people can take T3 through the day and T3+T4 in the evening?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals