Excess Fat Soluble Vitamin Cause Weight (fat) Gain?

berk

just did some googling and then I came across this.

I saw a lot of posts online with people stating they gained weight when taking vitamins, especially a multivitamin. I thought that was really interesting. I couldn't find any results as far as a reputable site discussing it.

When asked the question most people responded as vitamins don't have calories so they don't lead to weight gain. I guess that's the simple answer without thinking about what impact vitamins have on the body.

One person responded on Yahoo with an interesting answer - "I am going against the grain, but I support my answer with scientific facts. Not my way off base opinion like everyone else.
Technically yes you can gain weight from vitamins. Vitamins A, D, E, and K are fat soluble. This means any excess taken in the body is transported to the liver, if the liver realizes it and the body do not need said vitamin, it is turned into fat. Once that vitamin is turned into fat the body cannot turn it back into a usable vitamin. It can only be used as an energy source. Every other vitamin is water soluble, so taking in excess it is eliminated through urine. Email me if you have any further questions, it's a waste of time to post public questions and get ridiculous answers."
Chris
M.S.,C.S.C.S.
https://www.wahm.com/forum/health-w...321-can-taking-vitamins-lead-weight-gain.html

Never thought on that.
maybe this the issue here why lot of people that start peating getting fat.
(with all the high doses of A,K,E)

That's the theory that Grant Genereux put forth, at least for vitamin A. I believe he supports it on his blog by linking a study about a few obese people who ate plenty of liver. I honestly don't believe that fat soluble vitamins trigger fat storage.

I took accutane as a teen and I got even leaner when I was on it. I didn't gain weight on a high strength multivitamin either. The only thing that made me gain weight was prolonged calorie restriction followed by keto. My theory is that the majority of people who gain on a Peat inspired diet do so because they come from a background of excessive restriction.

OP
berk

berk

someone have study's thats shows that excess fat soluble vitamin can/cant cause fat gain?

cyclops

isn't there a difference between being stored in fat vs turning into fat? I always thought fat soluble vitamins somehow did the former.

tankasnowgod

That's the theory that Grant Genereux put forth, at least for vitamin A. I believe he supports it on his blog by linking a study about a few obese people who ate plenty of liver.

One of the studies Grant links in his "Obesity" post to show that Vitamin A intake causes fat gain actually showed the exact opposite- that Vitamin A deficiency causes fat gain. If anyone is following Grant's advice for weight loss, I would encourage them to double and triple check the studies he cites in his "Obesity" post. I don't think his claims in that post all well supported at all, and not even supported by the studies he cites.

Gone Peating

just did some googling and then I came across this.

Never thought on that.
maybe this the issue here why lot of people that start peating getting fat.
(with all the high doses of A,K,E)

This has no basis in reality, and even if somehow they did turn into fat, it would be at most a gram of fat and that’s with megadosing the fat solubles.

OP
berk

berk

This has no basis in reality, and even if somehow they did turn into fat, it would be at most a gram of fat and that’s with megadosing the fat solubles.
how much is a megadosing?
every day a gram for a long period of time is a lot.

One of the studies Grant links in his "Obesity" post to show that Vitamin A intake causes fat gain actually showed the exact opposite- that Vitamin A deficiency causes fat gain. If anyone is following Grant's advice for weight loss, I would encourage them to double and triple check the studies he cites in his "Obesity" post. I don't think his claims in that post all well supported at all, and not even supported by the studies he cites.
Thanks for taking the time to verify his claims. I knew something was fishy. I just went back and skimmed his blog post and in it he pins most of the blame for weight gain among mental asylum patients on carrots and vegetables rather than solely on the administration of tranquillisers. Unbelievable.

OP
berk

berk

So what exactly happend then with excess fat soluble vitamine intake if it dont cause weight gain?
You don't piss it out like water soluble vitamins right?

Anecdotally, when I started taking vitamin D3 in high dosages to correct my deficiency, I started losing a lot of weight. At that time, I was under-eating, but before the D3, my weight was stable. The weight loss only started happening after I introduced that vitamin into my regimen.

Also, the amount of fat that we produce from carbs per day is higher than one gram, and carbs don't make you fat( the body always burns some fat everyday).

Wagner83

@Amazoniac mentioned how excess FSV (or was it just vitamin E) might lead to slower weight loss, when the body doesn't need the vitamins it will be reluctant to liberate them from fat storage.

Last edited:

Dr. B

that means excess vitamin D, by causing vitamin A deficiency, can cause fat gain?
does vitamin D deficiency cause fat gain too?

should vitamin supplements be avoided entirely? it seems the problem is the supplements, if you get vitamin A from whole milk it doesn't seem to be an issue.

@Amazoniac mentioned how excess FSV (or was it just vitamin E) might lead to slower weight loss, when the body doesn't need the vitamins it will be reluctant to liberate them from fat storage.

do you know which thread this was?
I got significant weight loss when I added vitamin D3 to the stack and was already using 5000Iu vitamin A in a multivitamin for years. but now that I cut out more supplements, vitamin D3 seems to cause issues even with 3000IU vitamin A daily from milk.

that makes sense too if the body needs a vitamin it will get it from the fat.

Dr. B

Anecdotally, when I started taking vitamin D3 in high dosages to correct my deficiency, I started losing a lot of weight. At that time, I was under-eating, but before the D3, my weight was stable. The weight loss only started happening after I introduced that vitamin into my regimen.

Also, the amount of fat that we produce from carbs per day is higher than one gram, and carbs don't make you fat( the body always burns some fat everyday).
were you supplementing vitamin E or eating it from foods or fortified foods

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals