Evidence That Cortisol Really Does Cause Hair Loss

haidut

Forum Supporter

xetawaves

Where have you seen this reported?

On several forums, including this one. I've read several reports of men trying progesterone and them stating that it made their hair worse. I'm about a week into progesterone and my shed has gotten pretty bad.

Last edited:

haidut

Forum Supporter
On several forums, including this one. I've read several reports of men trying progesterone and them stating that it made their hair worse. I'm about a week into progesterone and my shed has gotten pretty bad.

Is progesterone the only thing you are using? How are your androgen levels, especially total T and DHT? How is your prolactin?

xetawaves

Is progesterone the only thing you are using? How are your androgen levels, especially total T and DHT? How is your prolactin?

I haven't had any blood work done. I will soon though. Is there anything specific I should know/look for beforehand? I use lisuride sometimes to keep prolactin low. I can tell that progesterone has raised my test levels. Libido is high and sexual health is great. Facial hair might be growing faster, but I'm not really sure.

Also, could the shed be "good shed" indicating regrowth?

Luckytype

Is there a kind of "if - then" chart for those considering things like @haidut 's products like lisuride/metergoline/cypro when deciding to start whittling down cortisol levels?

Ive been searching for quite some time but I cant seem to get a handle on what comes when considering the similarities

haidut

Forum Supporter
Is there a kind of "if - then" chart for those considering things like @haidut 's products like lisuride/metergoline/cypro when deciding to start whittling down cortisol levels?

Ive been searching for quite some time but I cant seem to get a handle on what comes when considering the similarities

Cypro and metergoline are more effective than bromocriptine/lisuride in lowering cortisol since the first two are antagonists at 5-HT2C (which is what controls ACTH synthesis) while the latter two are not.

Luckytype

Cypro and metergoline are more effective than bromocriptine/lisuride in lowering cortisol since the first two are antagonists at 5-HT2C (which is what controls ACTH synthesis) while the latter two are not.

Thank you @haidut , does prolaction suppression follow the same with these combos?

When would someone specifically seek to use lisuride over meter? Mainly to avoid the agonistic properties of some things?

johnwester130

..........................what if this is all a mistake ?

Cortisol causes hair to shed temporarily.

The actual baldness is caused by the clogged arteries that feed the scalp.

See 2:59 in the video

Luckytype

I agree with this @johnwester130 , my case is a strange one in that I have addressed the physical changes in my scalp with mechanical means. I continue to grow hair(in places that slowly over years "matured" but I am battling the hormonal side of constant shedding. In my case I obviously have to narrow it down to a cause of shedding.

My hair is diffusely shedding but with a better hairline than when the shedding started.

(Again for those who may stumble upon this - crap diet, crap sleep, stress all over, overdoing it at the gym, likely IF diet when it came time to lean down for summer.)

LukeL

Do you think someone’s total T and DHT should be high/optimal and prolactin low to combat hair loss?

Luckytype

So baldness is basically heart disease ?

Pauling Therapy Case Summaries - hair regrowth is mentioned

All of us have to ZOOM OUT. I think the total picture is equilibrium. Every single one of us male, female, young, old, healthy or ill has to realize that hair loss "just happens" when systems are not where they should be.

A part of this big picture is that heart disease follows stress, hair loss as well as tons of other maladies just "happen" because the body is dealing with an issue(a symptom or group of) and person A's threshold has been breached or is simply lower than another person B who has the stuff going on or the same coping.

Chronic diseases are a product of our life and choices, its not at all unreasonable to think that hairloss is a canary in a coalmine type of situation, even with those who bald super early on. Its just how their bodies priortize energy and coping with stressors.

So is it basically heart disease? Probably not always but certainly a good indicator of poor coping by a body or a person. Im certain with enough digging we find that chronic disease as a whole is linked.

haidut

Forum Supporter
So baldness is basically heart disease ?

Pauling Therapy Case Summaries - hair regrowth is mentioned

One of the first signs of it, yes. You can also think of it as hypogonadism and/or adrenal hyperactivity. CVD, diabetes, obesity, baldness etc are all ultimately tied to hypogonadism/hypothyrodism in males characterized by suppressed gonadal function and increased adrenal function but at the stage where cortisol is high and DHEA-S is low(ish). Virtually all males with heart attacks have low DHEA-S and high cortisol.
Androgen Deficiency As The Main Cause Of Chronic Disease In Males
Dehydroepiandrosterone and its sulfate predict the 5-year risk of coronary heart disease events in elderly men. - PubMed - NCBI
Cortisol Levels Link Stress to Cardiac Risk

johnwester130

Hair shedding is being caused by the stress response, cortisol/estrogen/serotonin.

Baldness is being caused by the clogged arteries that feed the scalp.

Finasteride stops shedding by raising progesterone/lowering cortisol.

Baldness is not shedding, but they are similar.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hair shedding is being caused by the stress response, cortisol/estrogen/serotonin.

Baldness is being caused by the clogged arteries that feed the scalp.

Finasteride stops shedding by raising progesterone/lowering cortisol.

Baldness is not shedding, but they are similar.

Chronic shedding turns into baldness eventually. Cortisol and aldosterone cause vascular calcification. So, the two are simply different stages of the same process.
Cortisol And Aldosterone Cause Vascular Calcification

haidut

Forum Supporter
Do you think someone’s total T and DHT should be high/optimal and prolactin low to combat hair loss?

Well, at the very least I have not seen a single person with high androgens and low prolactin who had MPB.

Wagner83

But finasteride which is as anti androgenic as can be stops hair loss for a lot of people and many feminine looking guys have superb hair. I said it before but on whole grains and salmon I had amazing hair. So imo there's more to hair loss than this, Travis is digging interesting information, there's some research on minerals and amino acids too.