Evidence That Cortisol Really Does Cause Hair Loss

nbznj

aren't most meats higher in lysine than in arginine anyway? Although muscle meat will be quite high in methionine, tryptophane.

Anxiety should be the focus here, just like inflammation. There is work to be done to identify the causes of both and then maybe supplement with more pills.

By the way, HGH isn't even that expensive now. But it requires people to be fine with daily subcutaneous injections. 2 to 3iu a day should be around $200 a month.

Richiebogie

Yes @nbznj, I have spent a lot of time studying that page!

This page tells you that it's not just hair loss and lip sores that can be a problem when arginine exceeds lysine!

High Lysine Diet

You can see how vegan diets can lead to problems! Wheat, rice, chick peas, grapes, oranges, coconut milk, almonds, peanuts...

Pea sprouts and fermented foods seem to be the only options!

Jijita

Hi every one
My English isn't so good but I want share with you my experience since you helped me in some how .
2 months ago I was just the sadness girl in the word because my hair was going away and I just saw my self like my mom (which have bald head like man) so I watched every video talk about hair loss I read all the theories till I read here about MR and aldosterone ex... and than I linked it with the kidney because my mom have problem in it(not big) but she always said that she is OK anyway and than I notice some thing I don't go to do pee just 1 time in the day in the other side I have a friend she have a very very thick hair and she pee a lot of time every hour maybe although she don't drink a lot of water. I don't now how or what's the link or the mécanisme between hair and kidney also other thing my mother always her tensien of the heart 90 that's mean it's high not very but high and we all know that kidney control blood pressure. so I decide to start eating 2 cloves of garlic in the morning and don't eat nothing till it get digeste than I eat every thing (an other thing I was just like men eat very fast now I start doing like girls and chewing slowly very) than in the evening I eat we call it in my country yaourt nature and I add lemon(1/2 one) and 1/2 c à c curcuma (I read here that curcuma can block maybe MR but it can't be digest very well so I search and I found that black pepper help the curcuma to digeste 100% or low I don't remember) to dont lie I didn't have pure curcuma I use a mix of (curcuma + Ginger and I don't remember what else if you want to know I will ask my papa(he buy it to spice the meat )) and I eat like normal peoples just chew slowly and drink water not a lot but every hour 1/2 cup or cup also I drink or eat some times parsley (good for kidney) results :
this month I had a crazy shedding buuuuut the happy thing in this word in the bald spots I have little red plump in it small hair and this week I have small hair every where
It's my first month the hair can't be fool like before but my front have lot of come back hair
One last thing am a Muslim girl and I prayer to the god in every prayer and I was crying from my heart because of my hair I was affraid te become like my mother in my 20's thank you god
Hope you try it and tell me if it work for you too to tell other people about it (sorry for my bad language)

Progesterone

Hi every one
My English isn't so good but I want share with you my experience since you helped me in some how .
2 months ago I was just the sadness girl in the word because my hair was going away and I just saw my self like my mom (which have bald head like man) so I watched every video talk about hair loss I read all the theories till I read here about MR and aldosterone ex... and than I linked it with the kidney because my mom have problem in it(not big) but she always said that she is OK anyway and than I notice some thing I don't go to do pee just 1 time in the day in the other side I have a friend she have a very very thick hair and she pee a lot of time every hour maybe although she don't drink a lot of water. I don't now how or what's the link or the mécanisme between hair and kidney also other thing my mother always her tensien of the heart 90 that's mean it's high not very but high and we all know that kidney control blood pressure. so I decide to start eating 2 cloves of garlic in the morning and don't eat nothing till it get digeste than I eat every thing (an other thing I was just like men eat very fast now I start doing like girls and chewing slowly very) than in the evening I eat we call it in my country yaourt nature and I add lemon(1/2 one) and 1/2 c à c curcuma (I read here that curcuma can block maybe MR but it can't be digest very well so I search and I found that black pepper help the curcuma to digeste 100% or low I don't remember) to dont lie I didn't have pure curcuma I use a mix of (curcuma + Ginger and I don't remember what else if you want to know I will ask my papa(he buy it to spice the meat )) and I eat like normal peoples just chew slowly and drink water not a lot but every hour 1/2 cup or cup also I drink or eat some times parsley (good for kidney) results :
this month I had a crazy shedding buuuuut the happy thing in this word in the bald spots I have little red plump in it small hair and this week I have small hair every where
It's my first month the hair can't be fool like before but my front have lot of come back hair
One last thing am a Muslim girl and I prayer to the god in every prayer and I was crying from my heart because of my hair I was affraid te become like my mother in my 20's thank you god
Hope you try it and tell me if it work for you too to tell other people about it (sorry for my bad language)

Hi sweetie, any update?

Ketoconazole being an antifungal agent is a cortisol or glucocorticoid receptor (GR) antagonist.
Ketoconazole and miconazole are antagonists of the human glucocorticoid receptor: consequences on the expression and function of the constitutive a... - PubMed - NCBI

Ketoconazole is also a FAAH inhibitor.
Ketoconazole Inhibits the Cellular Uptake of Anandamide via Inhibition of FAAH at Pharmacologically Relevant Concentrations

"Inhibition of anandamide hydrolysis by a FAAH inhibitor would likely provide increased anandamide levels but, in turn, increase proalgesic biosynthesis of prostamide F 2 a to counteract any benefit from increased anandamide concentrations (Piscitelli and Di Marzo, 2012)"
https://www.researchgate.net/figure...olysis-FAAH-and-MAG-lipase-and_fig3_253335362

Prostamide F 2 also known as Bimatoprost stimulates eyelash growth in vivo , human scalp hair growth in organ culture, and mouse pelage hair growth in vivo . https://www.researchgate.net/figure...wth-by-bimatoprost-Bimatoprost_fig5_232721404

:D
Maybe ketoconazole (Nizoral) shampoo is effective against stress induced hair loss caused via high cortisol or Excess Glucocorticoid Receptor Activation.

Watson350

Anyone consider injection apple cider vinegar into the scalp via a 22 gauge needle or something similar?

Hairfedup

Ketoconazole being an antifungal agent is a cortisol or glucocorticoid receptor (GR) antagonist.
Ketoconazole and miconazole are antagonists of the human glucocorticoid receptor: consequences on the expression and function of the constitutive a... - PubMed - NCBI

Ketoconazole is also a FAAH inhibitor.
Ketoconazole Inhibits the Cellular Uptake of Anandamide via Inhibition of FAAH at Pharmacologically Relevant Concentrations

"Inhibition of anandamide hydrolysis by a FAAH inhibitor would likely provide increased anandamide levels but, in turn, increase proalgesic biosynthesis of prostamide F 2 a to counteract any benefit from increased anandamide concentrations (Piscitelli and Di Marzo, 2012)"
https://www.researchgate.net/figure...olysis-FAAH-and-MAG-lipase-and_fig3_253335362

Prostamide F 2 also known as Bimatoprost stimulates eyelash growth in vivo , human scalp hair growth in organ culture, and mouse pelage hair growth in vivo . https://www.researchgate.net/figure...wth-by-bimatoprost-Bimatoprost_fig5_232721404

:D
Maybe ketoconazole (Nizoral) shampoo is effective against stress induced hair loss caused via high cortisol or Excess Glucocorticoid Receptor Activation.

Any sides effects/systematic issues with using Nizoral?

Arrade

Nope. It's just a shampoo
My scalp burned from it, even if that is an allergy it shows an effect.
I had to throw my regenpure shampoo out as I was impacted mentally from the anti androgens

Soren

Forum Supporter
here are some threads about hairloss and cortisol (adrenal up regulation)
THREAD 1: The Cause Of Baldness

Heres some references supporting the adrenal up regulation piece:

1) Hormonal parameters in androgenetic hair loss in the male. - PubMed - NCBI

"Significant differences in serum levels of androstenedione, cortisol, 17 beta-estradiol and luteinizing hormone were noted between hair loss patients and control subjects. Suprarenal stimulation as well as hypophyseal feedback mechanisms therefore seem to be involved in male pattern alopecia."

2) Hormone studies in females with androgenic hairloss. - PubMed - NCBI

"The results of the study show no significant elevation of androgens in females with androgenic hairloss, but a more complex condition with involvement of the glandula suprarenalis and the hypophyseal level"

(this was in women, the study also shows with up regulation of the HPA axis, the Thyroid is down regulated, this is evidenced by the increased TSH in the women.)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) Hormonal profile of men with premature balding. - PubMed - NCBI

"The frequency of subnormal values in SHBG, FSH, testosterone and epitestosterone (but not in free androgen index) was significant in the balding men. A borderline significant trend was recorded with respect to increased levels in 17OH-P and prolactin."

4) 17-Hydroxyprogesterone in children, adolescents and adults. - PubMed - NCBI

"An inherited deficiency of 21-hydroxylase leads to greatly increased serum concentrations of 17-OHP, while the absence of cortisol synthesis causes an increase in adrenocorticotrophic hormone. The classical congenital adrenal hyperplasia (CAH) presents usually with virilisation of a girl at birth."

"A non-classical form of congenital adrenal hyperplasia (NC-CAH) presents later in life usually with androgen excess. Moderately raised or normal 17-OHP concentrations can be seen basally but, if normal and clinical suspicion is high, an ACTH stimulation test will show 17-OHP concentrations (typically >30 nmol/L) above the normal response."

#3 and #4 are together. #3 shows increase in hypophyseal activation with FSH test and epitest but also shows increased 170H-P and prolactin. As shown earlier Prolactin is indicative of tissue estrogen and serotonin (look at original post). Also, prolactin shows an increase In hypophyseal activation. The 17OH-P is often elevated in congenital adrenal hyperplasia as shown in #4 hence the grouping of these two together, which as shown above is also elevated in balding men. What do you know, babies with congenital adrenal hyperplasia also show virilisation at birth (increased body hairiness) which is similar to the hirsutism seen in balding men and also the hirsutism seen in cushings syndrome. I don' think these are coincidences. All of these disorders show adrenal up regulation clearly and all have similar side effects. Also, shows why PCOS and balding are related. They are the same diseases just in different genders. PCOS is adrenal up regulation in females leading to high androgens from DHEA. Also, PCOS presents with insulin resistance, and obesity which are side effects of excess cortisol, i.e. adrenal up regulation.

adrenal androgens PCOS:

The adrenal and polycystic ovary syndrome. - PubMed - NCBI

PCOS, IR, Obesity:

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijrmed/2014/719050/

adrenal gland volume in PCOS:

Adrenal gland volume assessed by magnetic resonance imaging in women with polycystic ovary syndrome - ScienceDirect

THREAD 2: Latest Hair Studies: Hairloss Is Caused By Immune Imbalance

T-regs are dependent on the colonic microfolora. From what I understand and my own experience with hair loss, intestinal inflammation is the main culprit of hairloss, I think on multiple fronts:

1) Intestinal inflammation upregulates in general way the adrenal gland leading to production of aldosterone, cortisol and DHEA. People on here have talked about bald men having hirsute properties, this is DHEA from the adrenal gland being converted in DHT and estrogen I think. The upregulation of cortisol leads to the expression of aromatas in the body causing DHEA to convert to estrogen and when it converts to DHT the tissue environment, I think, causes DHT to convert to estrogenic beta-diols. This combination of estrogen, mineralocorticoids, glucocorticoids and estrogenic DHT derivates is what leads to hairloss

2) this T-reg is a new component in the hairloss paradigm in a more direct way atleast. The T-reg, as the name suggest regulate inflammation (colonic dysbiosis upregulates inflammation upregulates the adrenals and downregulates T-regs. Lack of T-regs also allows inflammation to increase thus the cycle becomes self perpetuating). They are dependent on the colonic microflora. Without them you develop autoimmunity. I think all hairloss is a variation of these mechanisms. These studies now indicate its more direct than I thought in the sense that you need T-regs to regrow hair. This I think is the reason that you arent seeing bald men regrow hair; no one is addressing the underlying problem with thier colonic ecosystem, just taking ridiculous drugs that are very specific and have no context of the problem.

To summarize, colonic dysbiosis leads to inflammation directly and downregulation of T-regs, upregulates the adrenals leading to hairloss through cortisol, aldosterone and DHEA/ DHT/ estrogen derivatives and overactice immune response.

The cure is to address your intestinal issue I think; the ecosystem needs to be fixed.

"Foxp3+ regulatory T cells (Tregs) are key suppressive cell types that regulate autoimmune inflammation in the body (23). In the gut, Tregs accumulate under steady-state conditions where they play an important role in the regulation of inflammation against microbial stimuli."

"Tregs are critical for the prevention of spontaneous inflammation against commensal microbes (Fig. 1). In antibiotic-treated mice or GF mice, Tregs remain detectable, but their numbers are significantly decreased in the intestinal LP, suggesting that the microbiota promotes the differentiation and/or maintenance of Tregs (26, 27). Colonization of GF mice with 46 strains of Clostridium(26), or with a cocktail of 8 defined commensals, called altered Schaedler flora (ASF) is sufficient to induce Tregs in the gut (26, 27). "

"Treg development is largely dependent on the microbiota in the colon, but not in the small intestine."

Role of the Gut Microbiota in the Development and Function of Lymphoid Cells

----------------------------------------

@Travis

@haidut

Both have discussed hairloss as a function of general adrenal upregulation. Travis has discussed anti-glucocorticoids and mineralcorticoids to treat hair loss as well as topical cyclosporin and vit D ( @Such_Saturation also mentioned vit a; D and A go hand in hand). All of these things, I think are indications of the true cause. I dont think they are the cure tho, all of them have significant side effects and from what I undersrand need to be used continuously. Also, the inflammation is still going on elsewhere, now its just blocked locally at the scalp or from some endpoints in the pathways with the drugs; definetly not a cure.

this is travis (hope its ok I quote you, Your posts are great):

"I think it's multifactorial; a cross between three separate pathways:

➤ Cortisol is the big one. This is greatly increased in males and acts directly on the mineralcorticoid receptor shortening the anagen phase. This has been proven directly in vitro: with a hair follicle, some cortisol, and a clock. Mice with overexpressed mineralcorticoid receptor in their skin are nude throughout life, and mineralcorticoid-inhibitors (spironolactone, cyclosporin) cause spontaneous and hairgrowth in most cases. Hydrocortisone directly thins hair when applied topically.

➤ Vitamin D analogues have been shown to stimulate hair growth. Vitamin D receptor null mice are totally hairless, always. The use of a hat can lower vitamin D on the scalp.

➤ Something must be said about ischemic hair loss, or cardiovascular hair loss. The vessels near the crown of the head are the thinnest and the first to suffer restriction of blood flow. There is a strong correlation between cardiovascular disease and balding.

Dihyrotestosterone stimulates hair growth in certain areas only. The scalp does not appear to be DHT-responsive. Only the hairs that grow at puberty are DHT-responsive follicles. The entire androgen paradigm came from Hamilton in the 30s based on logic and epidemiological evidence alone. This would make total sense if it weren't for the fact that males also have higher cortisol, wear hats, and get more cardiovascular disease. Shortly after, dozens or hundreds of experiments have shown cortisol to be a powerful killer of hair follicles in rats, cats, dogs, and even...sheep."

"I wan't to say that the hirsutism is caused by androgens. I'm fairly certain that it's actually defined this way. Androgens stimulate the growth of facial hair, and the other hair characteristic of males.

But I think the cortisol and aldosterone causes the balding of the scalp.

Certain follicles respond differently than others to particular steroid hormones. This has been shown in vitro. Emotional shock is one well-known initiator of scalp hair loss in women, a phenomenon almost certainly caused by the stress hormone cortisol.

Maybe Cushing's Disease is just hypercorticolism? Imagine a nonspecific overstimulation of the adrenal glands: this might produce cortisol, aldosterone, and the androgens. All three of these are produced mainly by the adrenal glands. In such a scenario you might actually expect scalp balding from both aldosterone and cortisol, but also androgen-stimulated hair growth elsewhereat places which have actually been shown responsive to DHT, like the beard:"

"

Spironolactone works some, and is a purported DHT receptor antagonist; this is what the DHT proponents will say. However, it actually was originally designed as mineralcorticoid receptor agonist.

Mineralocorticoid receptor antagonists: the evolution of utility and pharmacology." Kidney international 57.4 (2000): 1408-1411.

†Wysocki, G. P., and T. D. Daley. "Hypertrichosis in patients receiving cyclosporine therapy." Clinical and experimental dermatology 12.3 (1987): 191-196."

Hered the thread where its discussed: Announcement - Regarding The Recent @gbolduev Threads

Fantastic post. What are your thoughts on a topical anti cortisol progestine such as 6-Keto P4?

Some who are taking it are already saying it has improved their hair.

Arrade

I may have felt the anti androgen, it was months ago tho and it would have been the weakest anti androgen i ever felt

Arrade

@Arrade Yes, Anti-androgenic, it is a form of androgenic effect no?
Placebo effect, they have no systemic effect you could feel.
Well you have to use correct grammar, by saying androgenic you are saying it is positive, inherent in the connotation.

That's bull**** it's placebo. Even a little bit of poison you're still applying it everyday on the thin skin of the scalp while hot water opens your pores.

"Inhibition of Testosterone Production with Ketoconazole Alone and in Combination with a Gonadotropin Releasing Hormone Analogue in the Rat"
http://cancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/canres/46/1/38.full.pdf

"
Ketoconazole-Induced Increase in Estradiol-Testosterone Ratio"
Ketoconazole-Induced Increase in Estradiol-Testosterone Ratio

This is the only saving grace:
Site of action of low dose ketoconazole on androgen biosynthesis in men. - PubMed - NCBI

Like I said, it was too long ago and too minimal for me to be sure but applying something toxic on your scalp everyday it's a risk

@Arrade LOL Are you freakin trolling? You are refering to oral administration of Ket, topically it does not have those effects bro. Were's your head at?

"... ketoconazole is an androgen receptor antagonist, competing with androgens such as testosterone and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) for binding to the androgen receptor. This effect is thought to be quite weak however, even with high oral doses of ketoconazole.[34]"

[34] https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1526623
"It should be noted, however, that the dose of ketoconazole required for 50% occupancy of the androgen receptor is not likely to be achieved in vivo, at least in plasma."

boxers

I been using KETO shampoo for awhile.. I dont see how using a shampoo 1% KETO topically is even in the same planet as studies using up to 600mg KETO daily...

I have to use correct grammar?
Generally speaking:
"Androgenic" is the adjective form of the noun "androgen," a word referring to any of the male hormones, including testosterone and androsterone.

Also: Estrogenic drugs, can be either pro or anti -estrogenic, same for androgenic. Thus correct grammar irrelevant.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals