"evidence-based" Medicine Is A Failure

haidut

Forum Supporter
Not that we didn't know it already but this is a good, formal review of the systemic failures of the phenomenon of so-called "evidence-based medicine". While the authors stop short of calling the whole thing a fraud, they pretty much reach that conclusion, and even state it in the abstract.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2481 ... t=Abstract

"...Evidence-based medicine (EBM) was announced in the early 1990s as a 'new paradigm' for improving patient care. Yet there is currently little evidence that EBM has achieved its aim. Since its introduction, health care costs have increased while there remains a lack of high-quality evidence suggesting EBM has resulted in substantial population-level health gains. In this paper we suggest that EBM's potential for improving patients' health care has been thwarted by bias in the choice of hypotheses tested, manipulation of study design and selective publication. Evidence for these flaws is clearest in industry-funded studies. We argue EBM's indiscriminate acceptance of industry-generated 'evidence' is akin to letting politicians count their own votes. Given that most intervention studies are industry funded, this is a serious problem for the overall evidence base. Clinical decisions based on such evidence are likely to be misinformed, with patients given less effective, harmful or more expensive treatments. More investment in independent research is urgently required. Independent bodies, informed democratically, need to set research priorities. We also propose that evidence rating schemes are formally modified so research with conflict of interest bias is explicitly downgraded in value."

J

j.

They're probably right in their diagnoses.

Often times though, when people try to improve things, especially academics, they make them worse. So without reading their proposals, I'd say watch out they might make it worse.

burtlancast

What evidence based medecine ?

One only has to read "The cholesterol myths" to have the undisputable proof of science fraud at the highest levels coupled with mainstream media collaboration, starting from 1953.

How much proof do the masses need ?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
All I can say is I agree wholeheartedly that evidence based medicine is a sham. This is coming from someone who's worked in the trenches for 17 years.

tara

Evidence-Based Medicine might be a bit like Western Civilisation. As Gandi is quoted as saying, "I think it would be a good idea".

Peata

There was a time where I almost went down the slippery slope of medicine... first I was put on an inhaler to use 2 x day with a backup emergency inhaler, plus Singulair, plus antihistamine, plus allergy shots. Also SSRI, and birth control pills. This was in my 20s. I quit it all by my early 30s.

Then by my late 30s came another round of different meds. It seemed like one problem led to another (which led to another medication). If I mentioned something at the appointment, there were only Rx being added.

I am happy to be on no prescriptions now.

I'm at my Grandma's house today, and she has so many medications the doctors have her on: Levothyroxin, beta blocker, digoxin, meds for angina, seizure, blood pressure, warfarin, and other prescriptions, plus fish oil and iron. :(

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Peata said:
I'm at my Grandma's house today, and she has so many medications the doctors have her on: Levothyroxin, beta blocker, digoxin, meds for angina, seizure, blood pressure, warfarin, and other prescriptions, plus fish oil and iron. :(
Oh man. :( It hurts so much to see how this system is destroying our people's health. :banghead

I get relief in knowing the help is on the way. :hattip

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I secretly rejoice when people can't swallow those huge fish oil pills! Maybe you could convince your grandma Peata that they are a choking hazzard. :D

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:lol:

Peata

I just told her they are rancid, a choking hazard, and "they've" done a 360 now saying they can cause more harm than good. Told her to throw them out. She said she rarely takes them, since she takes so much other stuff she ignores the fish oil.

When she sees her doctor she questioned all the things she's on, but he told her, "A car needs gas to go, and you need these pills..."

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I feel your pain. My mom wasn't a bit happy when I told her that Prozac raises prolactin which in turn weakens bones. She didn't want to hear it because she thinks she needs the Prozac despite the fact that she might have to have her arm amputated (her bones are so weak a simple break won't heal). It's hard witnessing medicine destroy the people we love. I'm glad your grandma rarely takes the fish oil at least. Usually the people medicine labels as non compliant are the ones that do the best in my experience.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals