Home > Resources, Diet, Testimonials, Logs > Ask For Help or Advice > Diet > EVERYTHING We Learned About Butter And Beef Fat Is Not True Anymore

EVERYTHING We Learned About Butter And Beef Fat Is Not True Anymore

1. Dairy makes your fat? Chronometer shows 2 grams of PUFA only? Still inflamed? Fishy beef or lamb? Butter tastes funny? Peating doesn't give any results?

We all know that GI tract of cow is able to hydrogenate unsaturated fat. Bacteria bla bla bla.

Sorry, It's not true anymore.

FAT BYPASS FEED is soybean, flaxseed and rapeseed protected from hydrogenation. They call it RUMEN-PROTECTED oil.

Mega-Pro is a combination of Megalac rumen-protected fat and rumen-bypass protein to supply energy and high-quality protein to meet the needs for milk production.

• Contains Megalac rumen-protected fat to improve milk yield and fertility
    • Energy and protein supplied in the recommended balance for maximum milk production
    • Contains an ideal balance of lysine and methionine amino acids for milk protein production
    • Fat not fermented in the rumen - energy without risk of acidosis
    Mega-Flax is a unique combination of Megalac rumen-protected fat and processed linseed to supply energy and the essential omega-3 fatty acids which can improve cow fertility.

Products | Animal Feed Suppliers | Megalac

26-36% of C18:1 that are never hydrogenated and go straight to your table.

Screenshot_20200320-224813.png

2. Wow. Is there a way to test fat composition of foods at home? It would be the only reliable way to know what you are eating.

Please send this to Ray. Would like to hear his opinion,

3. If that amount of alfa- linoleic acid( 32%) doesn't get hydrogenated, that would be really bad news.

4. Whoa. Is this allowed to be fed to organic cattle?

5. yea, we are fcked

6. Shouldn't be allowed as the bypass oil is man-made. But it all depends on how the USDA allows standards to be watered down.

7. If the fat desaturate I think it will be visible, so no worries

9. Yeah I thought that too

10. Could test the composition with iodine.

11. I don't understand. I can't visualize it. How does a fat desaturate?

12. I mean, if you buy some beef which appears to have high O3/O6 content and less saturated fats, it will be visible. As duck fat, it will be less solid, will melt easier and could even change in taste

13. Perhaps, but pork fat is pretty solid even if it has PUFAs. I'm afraid beef fat may just appear as firm as pork fat though, and I won't be able to tell the difference.

14. The beef fat that I render gets very solid when I put it in the fridge. Lard has a creamy texture( at least the last lard that I saw), and it's easy to press a hole in it with your fingers. I can't do that with beef tallow easily.

15. They've been studying this for a while now, but I've never seen it utilized in a commercial feed. I didn't think it would ever really take off because I assumed it would make the product taste different and people would object (like adding fish oil to dairy products, or omega-3 eggs) and also that it would affect the health of the animal in a negative way. However, detecting omega-3 is one thing as it's quite obviously fishy, but omega-6 might be more difficult so maybe the consumer wouldn't object. Flax should be easy enough though.

If this becomes common in Canada I will be quite upset about it. I will 100% buy a cow. Do they have to ruin everything?! Can't people just eat pork if they want PUFA, and drink pig milk...? :shock:

16. You're comparing rendered beef fat and pork lard, but when we buy meat, we don't get to do that.

17. How?

18. Right. I guess I was thinking more about a situation where the meat fat was already cooked. If I cook beef, and put some on my plate, the fat that remains on the plate turns solid- ish( at room temperature).

Raw chicken fat is much more tender than raw beef fat, but I don't know if the same applies to pork fat. In your experience, is raw pork fat more tender than beef fat?

19. I'm interested in knowing as well.

20. It's feed for cows that aims to optimize cow health for better milk production.

It shouldn't matter for beef... and the milk composition change would be easy to spot on nutrition labels if it happens.

21. I still trust the labels and company websites for nutritional information.. If label says beef is 7.9g SAFA / 12g total fat, the remaining 4g can't possibly be all PUFA. And i believe they can't put false information for food labels.

22. Pork fat has lots of PUFA. Raw chicken fat is solid too

I believe they sell a lot of this type of feed. There are other brands around.

23. It's not black or white. The more saturated the more thick and solid it is on the spectrum. It is obvious to differentiate a fully saturated oil from a fully unsaturated one, but it is also possible to differentiate pufa pig fat from saturated beef fat. I also remember on an article someone talking about how pig fat from 20/21st century changed in color, texture, and taste because of its change in feeding (and thus composition). I believe it will happen the same for beef fat

24. Pigs fed a healthy diet have more solid fat. Factory pig fat is less hard in the fridge indicating more PUFA.

25. I guess I will need to investigate this in my area.

26. No worries! The way things are going we'll all return to being hunter-gatherers soon, so at our diets will improve with the wild game.
    I'm actually headed to the forest today...........gotta get away from all this craziness. If I find any dead wild game I'll send you guys some.

27. Oh I should mention, when I researched this before, from what I remember, they were not able to get the PUFA that much higher with bypass fats. I think probably 8% max in milk. I'll double check though. Might be higher in beef, but I doubt it would get past 12%.

One reason they use bypass fat, aside from trying to sneak some extra "beneficial" PUFAs into the meat and milk, is that a lot of PUFA in the cows diet is harmful to the bacteria in the cows stomach, so it causes a lot of problems if they give them too much PUFA. Making it so that the PUFA bypasses the rumen prevents this, allowing them to add more fat to the cows diet without the harmful effects on the bacteria.

28. Global Rumen Bypass Fat Market Insights, Forecast to 2025 - Radiant Insights

In global market, the sales of rumen bypass fat increases from 655.59 K MT in 2013 to 745.33 K MT in 2017. In 2018, global rumen bypass fat sales have exceeded 770.46 K MT. Southeast Asia is the world's largest feed market. In 2017, the global rumen bypass fat market is led by Southeast Asia At present, the major leader manufacturers of rumen bypass fat are concentrated in Malaysia. Volac Wilmar is the world leader, holding 33.79% sales market share in 2017.
    Europe was the largest consumption regional market for rumen bypass fat, with 45.60% of global sales. It is further expected still to grow due to downstream demand. In the past time, the global rumen bypass fat market has maintained a more stable growth rate.

29. This coupled with the alleged gum inclusion to regular milk makes dairy somewhat risky without investigation...

Coconut oil to the rescue? Low-fat cuts of beef, more fructose and baking soda to lower phosphate, more vitamin D to lower PTH?

30. :mytwocentsJust from my experience ,when I 'm making cutlets or hamburger: while mixing ground beef with spices etc. and making this flat balls my hands covered w/ thick sticky fat that can be wash off only w/hot water to melt it.

Never w/pork ground, it's fat melted from hand warm?

31. This is true, this kind of fat is hard to wash off.

32. This is interesting.

But what else is there but PUFAs that cows eat when it comes to the fat when they eat fodder?

33. This is widespread. Southeast Asia the largest market. And not Brazil, nor Argentina, nor Australia, nor the US- the major producers and exporters of beef?

Must be because there's little grass to feed them on in Southeast Asia! Well, except for Cambodia.

34. I think the fat content of most forage tends to be pretty low. Grains tend to be pretty low as well. Things like soybeans, nuts and stuff like that are the problem and they like to give them things like roasted soybeans.

35. I agree. And that's why there's a market for the bypass oil in Southeast Asia, where there's not an abundance of grasslands.

Perhaps why my local steak can't compare to those from where there are pampas.

36. I urge anyone in the US who eats meat regularly to check for a local quality source and form a relationship with the people who raise the animals. Letting them know how much and how often you plan to order and that they can depend on you for regular business goes a long way. It’s way better quality and worth the effort in my experience. I connected with a small family farm several years ago through a farmers market but another way to find local connections is the website eat wild dot com. I feel my best when I exclusively eat their meat compared to supermarket and restaurant meat. It’s really not that much more expensive either.

37. Yep it's probably a faulty solution for Fat In - Fat out "problem" of greedy milk producers

38. Definitely.

While I don't have access to a farm butcher in the city, I still like to buy from a butcher with fresh slaughter, unfrozen, than from the supermarket, where it's frozen, and I wouldn't know if it's from halfway across the globe or not. I also smell the meat, and sometimes I can smell "made in China" from the pork. It makes a big difference when some of the locally grown pigs and poultry (not factory farms though) eats coconut meat, the end-products of making virgin coconut oil. The china chicken, I feel, tastes fish from being fed feed made from fish.

Most importantly, it's different buying from a butcher you know than from the supermarket.

39. Yes! I can pick up on the taste of what the animal ate as well. I love knowing where my food comes from and not having to worry about some shady practices.

40. :thumbsup:

41. To answer my last post. Iodine will saturate double bonds in fats and lose it’s brownish colour. Melt some butter and add iodine until it no longer loses its colour. One iodine molecule for every double bond. Since different pufas have multiple double bonds it won’t give you the exact % composition but will give you an idea of how unsaturated the fat it.

42. That's a nice test. What kind of iodine solution do you use?

43. It doesn't say what iodine is used.

44. -

45. Needs to be diatomic iodine, so lugols should do the trick.

46. Great! I got that.

I'll render beef tallow and test it. I'll then know how bad tallow is in Manila.

47. Nice thread, especially for Ray Peat fans in Southeast Asia, and countries that don't have vast grasslands and yet raise cattle for food. Thanks @methylenewhite!

48. As I told you in the chat, I wish I have never found it. I have some beef and butter stocked for this covid19 period, cant eat it now without paranoid thinking. They use this feed quite extensive here.

49. So buying 100% grass fed beef would solve this, right? I order mine (100%) online or get it at a Farmers market from someone I trust. Any way you slice it, grain and/or soybean fed is going to be very bad anyway, right?

50. Can you do an iodine test on the rendered beef tallow? I'm going to do a test as soon as I can get some beef fat to render to tallow. I was hoping to get some today, but the wet market required me to have a quarantine pass. Tried to get one from my barangay (like a barrio in the Phils.) and couldn't get one since my bgy feels residents can just buy from nearby supermarkets. Covid19 is really making me have to adapt to new shopping routines.