Everything That Should Help With Dehydration Is Making My Dehydration Worse

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Vasopressin seems to be linked to bile flow:
Wow, wow, wow! That would explain a lot. I was eating quite a lot of fat in the past, but sudenly, eating fats started to cause me unbearable pain and digestive issues. I was so scared of the pain I have stopped eating fat altogether. My dehydration got much worse circa at the same time. Not a coincidence I guess.

So maybie I have not ruined my gallbladder by low fat diet, maybie it is not ruined at all.

Many thanks for sharing the study!!

Last edited:

yeggim

I'm having absolutely ravenous thirst very often and I crave cold drinks. Just have checked the other symptoms of diabetes insipidus and they are very similar to my other symptoms. Also, my mother have very similar issues. I need to get my Vasopressin checked as soon as possible. Thank you, this really, really, really helped!!
Same here. Started about a month ago. Crazy thirst. Each gulp of liquid was so satisfying. It was like being found after three days in the desert and given a canteen of beautiful water. Never enough though. Daily intake was usually a pint of OJ, a half gallon of lemonade, a quart or more of milk, a quart or more of water and a liter or more of coke. Exasperating to say the least and that's not counting the disrupted sleep and double the trips to the john.

As luck would have it, watermelons went on sale at my local supermarket. I bought three large seedless melons. Yesterday I sat down after work and downed about 4 lb. of ice cold ambrosia in one sitting. I couldn't stop. Something must of hit home. Today is much better. Still a bit thirsty today but not that dying desert man thirst.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Same here. Started about a month ago. Crazy thirst. Each gulp of liquid was so satisfying. It was like being found after three days in the desert and given a canteen of beautiful water. Never enough though. Daily intake was usually a pint of OJ, a half gallon of lemonade, a quart or more of milk, a quart or more of water and a liter or more of coke. Exasperating to say the least and that's not counting the disrupted sleep and double the trips to the john.

As luck would have it, watermelons went on sale at my local supermarket. I bought three large seedless melons. Yesterday I sat down after work and downed about 4 lb. of ice cold ambrosia in one sitting. I couldn't stop. Something must of hit home. Today is much better. Still a bit thirsty today but not that dying desert man thirst.
This is really interesting because I have exactly the same experience with melons and my mother too. But why? Watermelon is not very good source of any nutrient, except maybie vitamin C and lycopene. And other watery fruits / vegetables just doesn't work like that.

yeggim

This is really interesting because I have exactly the same experience with melons and my mother too. But why? Watermelon is not very good source of any nutrient, except maybie vitamin C and lycopene. And other watery fruits / vegetables just doesn't work like that.
I don't know. Four pounds contain about 2 grams of Potassium and a decent amount of copper. For now I'm not going question the whys. It's nice to sit here and not constantly think about quenching my thirst. Hope it lasts. Good thing I really really like watermelon.

redsun

I don't know. Four pounds contain about 2 grams of Potassium and a decent amount of copper. For now I'm not going question the whys. It's nice to sit here and not constantly think about quenching my thirst. Hope it lasts. Good thing I really really like watermelon.

Could be the vitamin C and copper and the fact that watermelon has a bit of arginine to go with it as well, all three being vital to make vasopressin. Also known as arginine vasopressin.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Could be the vitamin C and copper and the fact that watermelon has a bit of arginine to go with it as well, all three being vital to make vasopressin. Also known as arginine vasopressin.
I guess the arginine is the key here, because oranges have more vitamin C, more potassium and same amount of copper, but doesn't help my dehydration nearly as much.

redsun

I guess the arginine is the key here, because oranges have more vitamin C, more potassium and same amount of copper, but doesn't help my dehydration nearly as much.

Could be. I don't know what your protein mostly comes from, but if it comes from dairy and eggs mostly and lacks meat it may be a good idea to try switching that up which will provide much more arginine as dairy and eggs are really low in it. I recall in my peat days where I mostly got protein from dairy and some eggs and just a small serving of meat I had much more thirst despite drinking a lot of milk.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Could be. I don't know what your protein mostly comes from, but if it comes from dairy and eggs mostly and lacks meat it may be a good idea to try switching that up which will provide much more arginine as dairy and eggs are really low in it. I recall in my peat days where I mostly got protein from dairy and some eggs and just a small serving of meat I had much more thirst despite drinking a lot of milk.
Wow, most of my protein actually comes from dairy

redsun

Wow, most of my protein actually comes from dairy

60g of protein from milk (7.8 cups) gives 1.7g arginine while 60g protein from beef sirloin (7.08 oz) gives 4.2g. And this is just the arginine content, we are not even mentioning the fact that 8 cups of milk is a massive amount of liquid as well...

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

60g of protein from milk (7.8 cups) gives 1.7g arginine while 60g protein from beef sirloin (7.08 oz) gives 4.2g. And this is just the arginine content, we are not even mentioning the fact that 8 cups of milk is a massive amount of liquid as well...
This is eye-opening. Thank you!

Do you eat a lot of meat, yeggim?

yeggim

This is eye-opening. Thank you!

Do you eat a lot of meat, yeggim?
A lot? I'd say I eat less meat than I used to before adopting this diet. But looking back, this last month has been more meat heavy than usual. I'd say about a quarter to a third of my protein is meat based.

Mossy

I’ve dealt with a dehydration problem my entire life. I haven’t completely solved it, but it’s been the best that I can remember with Peating.

If I had to chose a single key contributor in helping to solve it, I’d say it’s salted water. Drinking more water, alone, definitely does not solve it and only makes it worse.

I would say fats have helped, but I can’t quite pinpoint the exact ones. Just saturated fat with meals. I do believe coconut oil, taken by itself, can actually make me more dehydrated.

I do think electrolytes are helpful, by way of coconut water, or elsewhere.

I’ve yet to completely solve it. I believe it’s indicative of a system that runs on adrenaline.

P.S. Sugar as well. But the right balance of it. That will be unique to each of us. I can say that the WHO hydration drink consists of:

- 1 liter water
- 1/2 TSP salt
- 6 TSP sugar

This is a lot cheaper than coconut water, if on a budget.

Last edited:
OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

I’ve dealt with a dehydration problem my entire life. I haven’t completely solved it, but it’s been the best that I can remember with Peating.

If I had to chose a single key contributor in helping to solve it, I’d say it’s salted water. Drinking more water, alone, definitely does not solve it and only makes it worse.

I would say fats have helped, but I can’t quite pinpoint the exact ones. Just saturated fat with meals. I do believe coconut oil, taken by itself, can actually make me more dehydrated.

I do think electrolytes are helpful, by way of coconut water, or elsewhere.

I’ve yet to completely solve it. I believe it’s indicative of a system that runs on adrenaline.

P.S. Sugar as well. But the right balance of it. That will be unique to each of us. I can say that the WHO hydration drink consists of:

- 1 liter water
- 1/2 TSP salt
- 6 TSP sugar
Many thanks for sharing your experience, Mossy! I have come to the same conclusion, adrenaline is a major factor in my dehydration. It always gets much, much worse when I'm experiencing any kind of stress.

I'm really curious, does the salted water upset your stomach? Are you drinking it with food? Every time I have tried salted water, I ended up with even more dehydration because it works like a emetic on me, especially on empty stomach.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

is there a way to test cholinergic tone? or how to increase it if it’s suspected to be low?
I'm no expert and I hope S-VV will chime in with more informations, but one of the ways to increase cholinergic tone is to increase your dietary intake of choline and related nutrients (folate, betaine, phospholipids etc.) and also acetyl group donors

Mossy

Many thanks for sharing your experience, Mossy! I have come to the same conclusion, adrenaline is a major factor in my dehydration. It always gets much, much worse when I'm experiencing any kind of stress.

I'm really curious, does the salted water upset your stomach? Are you drinking it with food? Every time I have tried salted water, I ended up with even more dehydration because it works like a emetic on me, especially on empty stomach.
You’re welcome. I’m sorry to hear about the salted water not working for you. I do believe early on that I did get some minor nausea, but nothing to promote actual vomiting. I still can get bloating from it, which I don’t like, and would like to get rid of, if possible. But, it’s so helpful I have to keep taking it. As an example, I’ve been trying low dose progesterone lately, which dehydrates me. This morning I woke up a little sick, which I attribute to slow transit, due to the dehydration from progesterone. I drank a large glass of salt water which created a bowel movement and had me feeling a little better—though not perfect.

SOMO

Xylitol.

Xylitol will hydrate your mouth like nothing else.

71ho2d%2BOYUL._SL1500_.jpg

It is the best sugar-substitute and has many unique properties that sugar does not have, such as increasing saliva flow.

redsun

Reminder that histamine is heavily involved in salivary flow. Acetycholine is related but I have still gotten dry mouth taking B1. Active B6 really helps keep saliva flow good and it usually doesnt go away as long as I take it periodically or keep B6 intake high from food (via meat) high.

Zinc and especially selenium which can raise T3 will increase histamine and may help increase saliva secretions but most people have decent zinc intake but can lack selenium if they don't eat seafood or a copious amount of eggs everyday. Certain organs also are high in it, i think kidney... Still thinking testing out response to active B6 is best first option. If it helps dry mouth its increasing histamine.
Screenshot_20200509-174246_Drive.jpg

Excessive copper intake will also lower histamine. if dry mouth is common one should avoid liver and keep iron and zinc intake up instead.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals