Everything That Should Help With Dehydration Is Making My Dehydration Worse

BearWithMe

Salt is making me dehydrated.
Sodium bicarbonate is making me dehydrated.
Glucose is making me dehydrated.
Creatine is making me dehydrated.
Trimethylglycine is being given to people with dry mouth issues and is an osmoprotectant, yet it makes my mouth even drier and triggers other dehydration symptoms.
Boron should prevent electrolyte loss, but is making me dehydrated.
B vitamins should be helpful, but are making me dehydrated, especially niacin / niacinamide.

High fructose / high potassium foods seems to be safe / doesn't trigger symptoms.

What could be a reason for this?

ThinPicking

Try this.

No supplements at all. Only whole food and water.

Drink your water slowly, don't just down a pint.

LLight

Or else, you could try selenium, thiamine (I see that a b complex is not helping but maybe B1 in isolation would be better), vitamin A, zinc. There might be other.

These minerals/vitamins are connected somehow to the osmotic stress response either in humans or in plants.

I've seen people reporting that dry fasting helped their hydration but I can understand you will find that paradoxical :):

postman

Do you "only" have dry mucuous membranes or do you also hae more general dehydration symptoms? How much fat are you eating? How much water are you drinking? I would try eating more fat and drinking less fluids.

jzeno

lol you're dehydrated and the only thing you haven't tried is liquid? Brilliant.

Try something simple: Juice some vegetables or fruits. This is something Peat suggests and discusses with some frequency:

Very hydrating. You can buy a nice masticating juicer for $70 on Amazon these days. Tons of high water content fruits and vegetables also contain lots of potassium, eg, watermelons.

In the meantime, If potassium is helpful, there's coconut water for like $3 at most grocery stores. Chug a few of those buy some extra and then you should be fine.

The potassium in fruit and vegetables allows your body to use the glucose, which may be why just trying straight glucose was not helpful.

What's with all the kooky supplements just to get more water?

coconut water nutrition facts - Buscar con Google

Sometimes this place is ******* insane. I swear if it isn't counter intuitive, this place won't believe it. If it's simple, it's probably wrong according to this place.

Have none of you heard of the phrase keep it simple? If you're thirsty, drink things--water, milk, juice--etc.

Last edited:

mangoes

@jzeno I think it’s obvious op has tried liquids. Kinda goes without saying. Some conditions cause dehydration despite adequate liquid intake

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

lol you're dehydrated and the only thing you haven't tried is liquid? Brilliant.

Try something simple: Juice some vegetables or fruits. This is something Peat suggests and discusses with some frequency:

Very hydrating. You can buy a nice masticating juicer for $70 on Amazon these days. Tons of high water content fruits and vegetables also contain lots of potassium, eg, watermelons.

In the meantime, If potassium is helpful, there's coconut water for like $3 at most grocery stores. Chug a few of those buy some extra and then you should be fine.

The potassium in fruit and vegetables allows your body to use the glucose, which may be why just trying straight glucose was not helpful.

What's with all the kooky supplements just to get more water?

coconut water nutrition facts - Buscar con Google

Sometimes this place is ******* insane. I swear if it isn't counter intuitive, this place won't believe it. If it's simple, it's probably wrong according to this place.

Have none of you heard of the phrase keep it simple? If you're thirsty, drink things--water, milk, juice--etc.

The irony is that the liquids are actually making me dehydrated. I must closely watch my fluid intake, because once I pass certain treshold, it triggers excessive urination and causes flare up of my symptoms. I feel the best with total fluid intake around 50 fl oz a day, anything more is making me dehydrated.

Thank you, @mangoes!

Last edited:

S-VV

Hydration status is not determined by how much you drink, absent gross excess, deficiency or sudden loss.

The kidneys run a very tight ship. ADH aka Vasopressin is the main hormone involved in the maintenance of adequate osmolarity. When serum osmolarity rises, hypothalamic osmosensitive neurons stimulate pituitary release of ADH, which causes water reabsorption in the kidneys and thirst.

Sodium is regulated independently of osmolarity via angiotensin II and aldosterone.

So if you have constant thirst, you may want to have your serum ADH level tested, a deficiency of ADH is called diabetes insipidus.

On the other hand, dry oral mucosa is also a sign of low cholinergic tone.

You can distinguish between them via the presence or absence of thirst.

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Hydration status is not determined by how much you drink, absent gross excess, deficiency or sudden loss.

The kidneys run a very tight ship. ADH aka Vasopressin is the main hormone involved in the maintenance of adequate osmolarity. When serum osmolarity rises, hypothalamic osmosensitive neurons stimulate pituitary release of ADH, which causes water reabsorption in the kidneys and thirst.

Sodium is regulated independently of osmolarity via angiotensin II and aldosterone.

So if you have constant thirst, you may want to have your serum ADH level tested, a deficiency of ADH is called diabetes insipidus.

On the other hand, dry oral mucosa is also a sign of low cholinergic tone.

You can distinguish between them via the presence or absence of thirst.
I'm having absolutely ravenous thirst very often and I crave cold drinks. Just have checked the other symptoms of diabetes insipidus and they are very similar to my other symptoms. Also, my mother have very similar issues. I need to get my Vasopressin checked as soon as possible. Thank you, this really, really, really helped!!

Last edited:

jzeno

@JanP The point on fresh juices is still relevant even if you are getting 50 oz of liquid per day because you may be ingesting something that isn't helping. I presume you're drinking some water and milk, but if you feel relief by ingesting potassium you may still want to look into vegetable and fruit juices high in natural potassium because you only stand to improve from a potassium intake position and second, fruit and vegetable juices are some of the most thirst quenching substances out there. What have you got to lose? And it could provide some relief in the short term while you find a long term solution. Everything in most circles points to getting ample amounts of potassium as a good thing.

T

TheBeard

Trimethylglycine is being given to people with dry mouth issues and is an osmoprotectant, yet it makes my mouth even drier and triggers other dehydration symptoms.
B vitamins should be helpful, but are making me dehydrated, especially niacin / niacinamide.

High fructose / high potassium foods seems to be safe / doesn't trigger symptoms.

This is not at all a list of what should help with dehydration.
Hydration is dependent on fat intake.
Increase your saturated fats: butter, tallow, milk

Vesi

Juice cucumbers or ripe tomatoes, and drink it instead of water?

Also, you didn't mention taurine. Have you tried it?

OP
BearWithMe

BearWithMe

Do you "only" have dry mucuous membranes or do you also hae more general dehydration symptoms? How much fat are you eating? How much water are you drinking? I would try eating more fat and drinking less fluids.
This is not at all a list of what should help with dehydration.
Hydration is dependent on fat intake.
Increase your saturated fats: butter, tallow, milk
Yes, I have galblbadder / liver issues, so my fat intake has been pretty low in recent months :(

T

TheBeard

Yes, I have galblbadder / liver issues, so my fat intake has been pretty low in recent months :(

Going low fat isn't going to solve your issues.
You're only perpetuating the lack of nutrients vicious circle

LLight

Vasopressin seems to be linked to bile flow:
Desmopressin stimulates bile secretion in anesthetized rats

"One of the synthetic analogues of antidiuretic hormone-desmopressin is used in patients with central diabetes insipidus and in those with coagulation disorders. However, its effects on bile secretion are not fully defined. We investigated the effect of desmopressin on bile formation and determined the role of V1a vasopressin receptors in the action of desmopressin on choleresis. Rats were injected intraportally with a bolus of desmopressin; the changes of bile flow, the content of free and conjugated cholates were compared with control animal group. Selective antagonist of V1a receptors was injected 10 minutes before desmopressin treatment and the findings were compared with the results after desmopressin injection alone. Desmopressin increased bile flow, secretion of total cholates like amino acids conjugated, while diminished free bile acids content. Secreted bile volume and conjugated bile acids content were reduced in V1a receptors antagonist+desmopressin-treated rats. In contrast, free bile acids content was more than the results in desmopressin-treated rats. Desmopressin at concentrations nearly equal to physiological concentrations of natural hormone in blood shows its choleretic effect. Antagonist of V1a vasopressin receptors modulates desmopressin action. This certifies the role of these receptors in the action of desmopressin on different processes of bile formation."

Thus, Vasopressin/ADH could be involved in bile secretion.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals