Everything That Increases Prolactin

High tsh, low magnesium, low calcium, low vit D(through calcium absorption), low vit b6, too many orgasms

Anything else?

Brian

Low zinc and vitamin A locally in the testes. One reason why I think excessive ejaculation can increase baseline prolactin. The more dysfunctional your metabolism is the slower it is replenish the local tissue level despite intake, which only leads to less androgen production and more estrogen dominance.

So low dht is probably the ultimate hormonal factor allowing prolactin to rise so easily from various stresses.

Low cellular energy from various causes including chronically simply not eating enough and/or insulin resistance is probably a major if not the main cause of high prolactin as well. As low glucose in brain cells is a master controller of the rise of stress hormones.

Ron J

Not sure where I got it from, but apparently, prolactin raises from masturbation even if you don't ejaculate.

OP
mayweatherking
Low zinc and vitamin A locally in the testes. One reason why I think excessive ejaculation can increase baseline prolactin. The more dysfunctional your metabolism is the slower it is replenish the local tissue level despite intake, which only leads to less androgen production and more estrogen dominance.

So low dht is probably the ultimate hormonal factor allowing prolactin to rise so easily from various stresses.

Low cellular energy from various causes including chronically simply not eating enough and/or insulin resistance is probably a major if not the main cause of high prolactin as well. As low glucose in brain cells is a master controller of the rise of stress hormones.

isn't DHT increased during stress in general? so my thought line was increased stress -> increased 5AR2 expression -> increased DHT to actually help offset the stress , if DHT is high, i would assume that prolactin would all ready be an issue, i would think DHT should be low and prolactin would be low. or are you saying, that if your DHT is too low, then it can't help to stop prolactin?

i have always thought in people who have post finasteride syndrome, something is blocking the prolactin response from being lowered, maybe it could be low DHT since 5AR2 expression is inhibited

tara

A few more:
Ovulation.
Pregnancy.
Breast-feeding babies.
Listening to babies cry for milk.

Various pathological conditions, eg. prolactinoma.

OP
mayweatherking

pretty interesting study.... although it kind of is odd in relation to typical "hair loss". typically people say DHT is increased in hair loss, i dont know where that comes from, but i imagine there is some study on it somewhere, but here it is saying that increasing prolactin actually decreased DHT. @haidut you might find this interesting.

STUDY ON THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN PLASMA PROLACTIN LEVELS AND ANDROGEN METABOLISM IN MAN. | The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism | Oxford Academic

The purpose of the study was to investigate the effect of hyperprolactinemia on the metabolism of androgens in man. A group of 6 normal men was treated for 4 consecutive days, on separate periods, with Sulpiride which is known to raise plasma prolactin (PRL) concentration. The effect of the treatment on plasma steroids was verified in basal conditions and under stimulation by HCG. In the controls, a parallel rise in testosterone (T) and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) was observed in response to HCG stimulation. In experimental hyperprolactinemia, the rise in T in response to HCG, similar to that of the controls, was accompanied by a markedly diminished rise in DHT. Similar results were observed in a patient with hyperprolactinemia following apparent accidental section of the pituitary stalk. These data demonstrate the interference of increased levels of PRL in the metabolism of testosterone into the active DHT form by 5αreductase. They suggest that thismechanism could possibly impair the gonadal function in man.

haidut

Forum Supporter
pretty interesting study.... although it kind of is odd in relation to typical "hair loss". typically people say DHT is increased in hair loss, i dont know where that comes from, but i imagine there is some study on it somewhere, but here it is saying that increasing prolactin actually decreased DHT. @haidut you might find this interesting.

STUDY ON THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN PLASMA PROLACTIN LEVELS AND ANDROGEN METABOLISM IN MAN. | The Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism | Oxford Academic

The purpose of the study was to investigate the effect of hyperprolactinemia on the metabolism of androgens in man. A group of 6 normal men was treated for 4 consecutive days, on separate periods, with Sulpiride which is known to raise plasma prolactin (PRL) concentration. The effect of the treatment on plasma steroids was verified in basal conditions and under stimulation by HCG. In the controls, a parallel rise in testosterone (T) and dihydrotestosterone (DHT) was observed in response to HCG stimulation. In experimental hyperprolactinemia, the rise in T in response to HCG, similar to that of the controls, was accompanied by a markedly diminished rise in DHT. Similar results were observed in a patient with hyperprolactinemia following apparent accidental section of the pituitary stalk. These data demonstrate the interference of increased levels of PRL in the metabolism of testosterone into the active DHT form by 5αreductase. They suggest that thismechanism could possibly impair the gonadal function in man.

Thanks for the study. Here is a related post of mine on DHT and hair loss.
Beyond DHT (article)

shepherdgirl

Curcumin(diferuloylmethane) inhibits cell proliferation, induces apoptosis, and decreases hormone levels and secretion in pituitary tumor cells.
Curcumin (diferuloylmethane) inhibits cell proliferation, induces apoptosis, and decreases hormone levels and secretion in pituitary tumor cells. - PubMed - NCBI
FYI have also heard good things about liposomal curcumin, and also that piperine (black pepper) and fat are supposed to enhance curcumin effectiveness. The liposomal curcumin is pretty expensive - i saw a diy video online for it.

shepherdgirl

I have heard that taurine might increase prolactin but have not seen any human studies. I also found a website that said the body can make taurine from cysteine when B6 is present. But i have also read that B6 supplementation can reduce prolactin. So it doesn't make sense to me - supplementing B6 is supposed to lower prolactin, but at the same time it could increase the amount of taurine the body makes which might increase prolactin? Does anyone have any insight into this?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals