Everyone Should Recognize High Endotoxin States

Jam

Interesting to note, however, that periodontal cells do not exhibit endotoxin tolerance:
Human periodontal ligament cells exhibit no endotoxin tolerance upon stimulation with Porphyromonas gingivalis lipopolysaccharide.
So I could very well be endotoxin-tolerant systemically, but not locally in my periodontal tissues where the infection is located. As a matter of fact, I do get occasional flare-ups in the form of inflamed gingival granulomas, as mentioned previously (which I can swiftly put to an end with SSKI), but don't remember ever getting these so-called high endotoxin state symptoms, as discussed in this thread.

Last edited:

Jam

All this said, I am still not convinced that my periodontal disease affects me systemically, and that I have become endotoxin-intolerant. Outside of the localized infection foci, quarantined inside of granulomas by my immune system, more generally my teeth and gums are in good shape, I have no plaque, my gums don't bleed, and I take care of them quite religiously.

yerrag

@Jam, I think you will find this article very interesting. It also talks about gingipains, which are proteases secreted by Porphyromonas Gingivalis, a periodontal bacteria, which works to degrade cytokines, thereby downregulating the host response in the form of reduced inflammation. I take this to mean that my hypertension, is not caused by the endotoxins from periodontal bacteria., and would explain why you don't have hypertension. The article makes mention of some types of periodontal bacteria that causes caries quite readily, but are benign in other aspects. Perhaps those are the periodontal bacteria you have/had.

My hypertension would still be caused by bacteria through another mechanism other than endotoxins.

However, gingipains "has been studied for its potential role in the development of Alzheimer's Disease (Gingipain - Wikipedia )" Again, I wrongly attribute endotoxins to my recent spate of poor ability to recall names and terms, even very recently encountered ones. I'm finding now that endotoxins are only incidental to my having a recurring low grade bacterial infection, the effects of which cause my blood pressure to rise. That is another topic in another thread.

Degradation of Incretins and Modulation of Blood Glucose Levels by Periodontopathic Bacterial Dipeptidyl Peptidase 4

Attachments

• Periodontitis Effect on Blood Glucose Regulation.pdf
    541.5 KB · Views: 6

Jam

Interesting as usual @yerrag, thanks. I'll read that article a little later, but I probably have not been infected with those cariogenic bacteria mentioned as I have not had a single cavity since my teens.

yerrag

Interesting as usual @yerrag, thanks. I'll read that article a little later, but I probably have not been infected with those cariogenic bacteria mentioned as I have not had a single cavity since my teens.
Sorry for not remembering correctly. If I recall correctly this time, was your issue simply confined to periodontal infection?

I'm just halfway thru the article myself but it's got me hooked, given how my blood sugar regulation has deteriorated since I let loose periodontal bacteria on my system the law of unintended consequences.

Jam

Sorry for not remembering correctly. If I recall correctly this time, was your issue simply confined to periodontal infections?

I'm just halfway thru the article myself but it's got me hooked, given how my blood sugar regulation has deteriorated since I let loose periodontal bacteria on my system y the law of unintended consequences.

Yep, strictly periodontal disease, the teeth I have lost had fillings from 35 years ago, but no new cavities.

Jam

Started reading it, interesting stuff. I'm still quite confident that, so far, I have had no systemic consequences to my health: all of my tested physiological parameters are ideal, including blood pressure, blood sugar, temperature, pulse, etc. The Alzheimer link has me a bit alarmed, but I am not a worrier (perhaps to my detriment... if I had worried about my teeth sooner, I might have saved all or most of them). Perhaps my tobacco/nicotine use has me covered there, who knows.

yerrag

Started reading it, interesting stuff. I'm still quite confident that, so far, I have had no systemic consequences to my health: all of my tested physiological parameters are ideal, including blood pressure, blood sugar, temperature, pulse, etc. The Alzheimer link has me a bit alarmed, but I am not a worrier (perhaps to my detriment... if I had worried about my teeth sooner, I might have saved all or most of them). Perhaps my tobacco/nicotine use has me covered there, who knows.

I'm now convinced most of my high blood pressure is caused by periodontal bacteria, but it is by the protective action of my innate immune system. Phagocytic neutrophils kill the bacteria with ROS, but spillover ROS could destroy adjacent healthy tissues, so anti-oxidants come to the rescue. Albumin fills that role as albumin becomes oxidized. Oxidized albumin is excreted thru urine, and as albumin is used this way, albumin in blood is lessened. Less albumin attracts less salt, and less salt results in lower blood volume. Lower blood volume requires higher blood pressure to continue for blood to distribute nutrients as well as cart off metabolic waste. Even with the infected teeth removed, the bacteria accumulated in my blood vessels over 15+ years is a motherlode, and is a constant source of low-grade infection.

I didn't feel the effect on my blood sugar when the bacteria were trickling slowly out from my latent periodontal infection, and when the teeth were removed and the infection was stopped, even as bacteria remained dormant encased in the vascular plaque.

But when I began to lyse the plaque in the entire vascular system, I had opened a pandora's box. Bacteria poured out at a heavy enough rate that surpassed what I had experienced before. This was a game changer. It was enough to cause my blood sugar regulation system to go out of whack, such as increased insulin resistance.

I have said enough. Should discuss this in another thread. I suspected endotoxin, but it isn't.

OP
ecstatichamster
I find endotoxin symptoms much worse in the winter. A lot of "I think I'm coming down with something" isn't illness per se, but endotoxins.

I am experiencing that now.

bagotage

I just got some bloodwork at the hospital but they only did an absolute monocytes, no percentage. Can anything be gleaned from this? Mine was 1.02x10E9/liter, whatever that means.