Everyone seems to "have anxiety" - do you think this is imagined?

stressless

Everyone seems to "have anxiety", especially Gen-Y & Gen-Z. Do you think this is imagined?

I'm 27 and for many years have identified as someone with anxiety and would act accordingly. I'd tell myself that I don't like going to parties, don't like meeting new people, don't do well with confrontation, etc.... but I'm starting to wonder if this may be imagined and my identity as "someone with anxiety" is causing me to act and feel like someone with anxiety.

It doesn't seem to matter what I eat, the anxiety is kind of always there, which leads me to think that it's purely in the mind and not related to physical health. The solution seems so simple - just stop thinking, just stop worrying, just let go, etc. I wonder if it really is as simple as that but my identity as someone with anxiety won't let me believe it's that simple.

bornamachine

Anxiety might be a term that is used improperly, instead of saying I was worried or stressed, they might say "I had such bad anxiety" true anxiety is no joke.

Another example of misuse that comes to mind;
I've noticed this also for the term "passive aggressive" and people apply that term on the regular for directly aggressive or just normal people all the time. Ive only had to deal with one passive aggressive person in my life, once you do though, you'll know what passive aggressive is.

OccamzRazer

Everyone seems to "have anxiety", especially Gen-Y & Gen-Z. Do you think this is imagined?

I'm 27 and for many years have identified as someone with anxiety and would act accordingly. I'd tell myself that I don't like going to parties, don't like meeting new people, don't do well with confrontation, etc.... but I'm starting to wonder if this may be imagined and my identity as "someone with anxiety" is causing me to act and feel like someone with anxiety.

It doesn't seem to matter what I eat, the anxiety is kind of always there, which leads me to think that it's purely in the mind and not related to physical health. The solution seems so simple - just stop thinking, just stop worrying, just let go, etc. I wonder if it really is as simple as that but my identity as someone with anxiety won't let me believe it's that simple.
I think you're onto something!

You might consider using a mild psychotropic or psychedelic...these things can sometimes help you realize what you already know.

Anxiety is very real in the sense that it's based on fear, which is a sort of false reality or lower 'version' of reality.

Such feelings gather more power the more you believe in them.

Another antidote? As the scripture says, perfect love casts out all fear...

I'm.No.One

Sounds like your nervous system needs some support.

Every moment of any fear/anxiety/worry you feel comes from your vagus nerve telling your body you're in danger.

We live in a society that is constantly bombarded by information, worry, judgment, demands, & your age demographic puts you in the main target group.

But seriously, look into healing your vagus nerve. Everything else will inevitably fall short.

TheCalciumCad

for many years have identified as someone with anxiety and would act accordingly. I'd tell myself that I don't like going to parties, don't like meeting new people, don't do well with confrontation, etc.... but I'm starting to wonder if this may be imagined and my identity as "someone with anxiety" is causing me to act and feel like someone with anxiety.

If you identify as having anxiety, and tell yourself you have anxiety and do things that people with anxiety would do (like avoid social occasions) then yes you will keep having anxiety. You only attract more of what you are which means if you identify as someone who is anxious you will keep attracting events which would make you feel more anxious.. confirming to yourself "thats just me, i have anxiety!". Your subconscious hears all and believes what you tell it about yourself everyday which only makes you go looking for it out there for confirmation further locking in place the limiting belief. So stop identifying as someone who has anxiety and using it as an excuse to avoid certain situations and start doing more things that someone who isn't anxious would do so you can identify with that instead. Eventually it will 'click in' after you demonstrate new thoughts/beliefs/behaviours and you won't react with the same anxiety anymore and probably laugh at the thought of calling yourself anxious.

Bonus learn how to Let Go of negative emotions "Releasing only one heavy emotion, releases thousands of accompanying thoughts." - Fred Dodson

OP
S

stressless

Anxiety might be a term that is used improperly, instead of saying I was worried or stressed, they might say "I had such bad anxiety" true anxiety is no joke.

Another example of misuse that comes to mind;
I've noticed this also for the term "passive aggressive" and people apply that term on the regular for directly aggressive or just normal people all the time. Ive only had to deal with one passive aggressive person in my life, once you do though, you'll know what passive aggressive is.

This is a good point - "anxiety" does seem to have become a very broad term. Maybe identifying what we feel beyond just "anxiety" is a good first step.

OP
S

stressless

Sounds like your nervous system needs some support.

Every moment of any fear/anxiety/worry you feel comes from your vagus nerve telling your body you're in danger.

We live in a society that is constantly bombarded by information, worry, judgment, demands, & your age demographic puts you in the main target group.

But seriously, look into healing your vagus nerve. Everything else will inevitably fall short.

This is interesting - I'll do some research on this. Thank you!

I have scoliosis that goes into my neck and every time I go to the chiropractor and get my neck adjusted, I always feel a more "fearless" and much less nervous/anxious. I wonder if there's a connection here.

bornamachine

This is a good point - "anxiety" does seem to have become a very broad term. Maybe identifying what we feel beyond just "anxiety" is a good first step.
You, being someone who has dealt with anxiety, according to you, how would you describe anxiety or give us some real life examples where "anxiety" kicked in and you felt the feeling of anxiety and knew "I am feeling anxiety!"

Demyze

OP
S

stressless

If you identify as having anxiety, and tell yourself you have anxiety and do things that people with anxiety would do (like avoid social occasions) then yes you will keep having anxiety. You only attract more of what you are which means if you identify as someone who is anxious you will keep attracting events which would make you feel more anxious.. confirming to yourself "thats just me, i have anxiety!". Your subconscious hears all and believes what you tell it about yourself everyday which only makes you go looking for it out there for confirmation further locking in place the limiting belief. So stop identifying as someone who has anxiety and using it as an excuse to avoid certain situations and start doing more things that someone who isn't anxious would do so you can identify with that instead. Eventually it will 'click in' after you demonstrate new thoughts/beliefs/behaviours and you won't react with the same anxiety anymore and probably laugh at the thought of calling yourself anxious.

Bonus learn how to Let Go of negative emotions "Releasing only one heavy emotion, releases thousands of accompanying thoughts." - Fred Dodson

Exactly! You put into words what I've been trying to work out in my head lately.

Thank you - I'll take a look at that article.

tankasnowgod

After using cyproheptadine (and other serotonin antagonists) quite a bit of the past year and half, no, I do not think this is "imagined." No doubt there is a mental component, but I think a lot of it is physical....... likely, higher serotonin and lower dopamine primarily.

Months of cypro used really reduced "anxiety" in me, and it seems to have been curative.... meaning, it didn't come back when I stopped taking cypro. I used to have this sort of feeling frequently, now, it not there in general.

OP
S

stressless

After using cyproheptadine (and other serotonin antagonists) quite a bit of the past year and half, no, I do not think this is "imagined." No doubt there is a mental component, but I think a lot of it is physical....... likely, higher serotonin and lower dopamine primarily.

Months of cypro used really reduced "anxiety" in me, and it seems to have been curative.... meaning, it didn't come back when I stopped taking cypro. I used to have this sort of feeling frequently, now, it not there in general.

Do you have any good resources on cyproheptadine dosing and how long to take it? I just got some but haven't started it yet, I want to make sure I take the right amount.

Oh, I was just talking to someone about this the other day. It is 100 percent imagined with Y/Z because it really is the foolproof way and excuse to not do anything. I would argue that video games helicopter parents ( mommies ) play a part just generally not knowing what like , work is.

Bella56

You are right stop thinking! Easier said that done. Our minds are constantly chattering all sorts of thoughts all our waking hours , most of the time we’re not aware of it. I too have suffered anxiety most of my life, especially social settings, meeting people, even talking on the phone.. Somebody introduced me to Eckhardt Tolle’s book The Power of Now which lead me to watch many utube videos, podcasts him speaking at retreats & other Functions, Podcasts. It is changing my llfe. Easy to find him with google or on utube ... Hope it helps

SamYo123

This is interesting - I'll do some research on this. Thank you!

I have scoliosis that goes into my neck and every time I go to the chiropractor and get my neck adjusted, I always feel a more "fearless" and much less nervous/anxious. I wonder if there's a connection here.
www.functionalpatterns.com

Buy the 10 week course, then see if you have anxiety after it. I doubt you will

OP
S

stressless

Oh, I was just talking to someone about this the other day. It is 100 percent imagined with Y/Z because it really is the foolproof way and excuse to not do anything. I would argue that video games helicopter parents ( mommies ) play a part just generally not knowing what like , work is.

Yes, this "excuse not to do anything" is similar to the victim culture being pushed in the media with all the talk about racism, sexism, etc. etc. Using the excuse of "I have anxiety so I'm not going to do this" is very limiting and very effective.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals