Everyday Oranges And Teeths

Prota

With oj i use straw, but eating everyday 500-800g oranges (no other options) in the long run i think is bad for my teeths. I can't juice them, thay are my main solid fruit. After meal i rinse my mouth with bicarbonate soda solution, eat them with main meal etc. .....but I'm still worried! Any suggestions?!

Tenacity

If you're going to worry about any food damaging your teeth, worry about dried fruit, which is both acidic and sticky.

You don't need to worry too much about fresh fruit and juices as long as you are following dental protection strategies such as consuming alkaline foods (dairy) after acidic food consumption, rinsing with bicarbonate and making sure you're getting enough of the alkali/alkaline metal minerals (sodium, potassium, magnesium and calcium).

OP
Prota

Prota

I hurt my teets with oj, solution was straw. Oranges are less acidic and probably not so dangerous! Thanks Tenacity!
Sorry cause my english is not so good (Serbia - Europe)!

The straw thing...it just doesn't make any sense. Yes, it may reduce the volume of liquid that passes through your - mostly just front - teeth, but the volume is irrelevant. It is the minuscule residue that lingers on after you finished drinking, that may be potentially damaging to tooth enamel. And that residue is about the same with or without the straw, your tongue makes sure it is all over your month in the end. When you have a tube going to your stomach, you can say you're protected. Not with a straw.

At the end of the day, I do believe the theory that cavities come from within is true. If your mineral and vitamin stores are sufficient and at the right balance, the sugar (or rather the bacteria it produces) won't hurt you. Conversely, you can tube feed all you want, if your minerals are off, you'll get cavities even on all fat diet.

I've been peating for over a year, often I fall asleep without brushing my teeth, with an OJ being the last thing I drink in the day. No cavities so far. Then again, I eat egg shells, milk, cheese, take magnesium, D and K2 supplements, so something must be working.

OP
Prota

Prota

Proper diet or diet and supplementation is crucial.

Every acid drink especially oj is dangerous.

Tip of straw must pass line/or be near of your back teeths. Position of tongue must be strong to ensure protection of inner side of your few last teeths. It can be done almost perfect with a little practice.

In the end, trick is to reduce exposure to acidic drinks.

marteagal

The straw thing...it just doesn't make any sense. Yes, it may reduce the volume of liquid that passes through your - mostly just front - teeth, but the volume is irrelevant. It is the minuscule residue that lingers on after you finished drinking, that may be potentially damaging to tooth enamel. And that residue is about the same with or without the straw, your tongue makes sure it is all over your month in the end. When you have a tube going to your stomach, you can say you're protected. Not with a straw.

I support the idea of using a straw for OJ. My story regarding teeth:
2006 - March 2015: good teeth, I always received compliments from the dentist.
~April 2015 - November 2015: Drinking OJ on a regular basis, without straw.
November 2015: Dentist was horrified when he saw my teeth: Massive corrosive damage to several of my front teeth. Teeth were pretty sensitive to anything.
December 2015 - now. Strictly using a straw for OJ. Rinsing with milk afterwards. No further damage. Actually, sensitivity to cold and crystals has greatly diminished since. I am slightly optimistic that I will be able to maintain the current status without the need for "repairing" the teeth by the dentist.
Positive: there was no increase in cavities in 2015.

OP
Prota

Prota

I support the idea of using a straw for OJ. My story regarding teeth:
2006 - March 2015: good teeth, I always received compliments from the dentist.
~April 2015 - November 2015: Drinking OJ on a regular basis, without straw.
November 2015: Dentist was horrified when he saw my teeth: Massive corrosive damage to several of my front teeth. Teeth were pretty sensitive to anything.
December 2015 - now. Strictly using a straw for OJ. Rinsing with milk afterwards. No further damage. Actually, sensitivity to cold and crystals has greatly diminished since. I am slightly optimistic that I will be able to maintain the current status without the need for "repairing" the teeth by the dentist.
Positive: there was no increase in cavities in 2015.
I have similar experiance with oj.

Now, more problematic are low Ph fruits (oranges, plums...). I am trying to reduce amount of liquids, but juicing them, it's the only solution i can think of.

marteagal

@Prota, unfortunately I have no practical idea how to solve the problem with solid fruits. Neutralizing them with baking soda is not an option, is it? ;):innocent:
I usually avoid them because I cannot afford long contact with the acids contained. The only solid fruits I eat twice a week or so are mangoes. I cut them in pieces, put in milk. I would not touch oranges any more. Hope, you'll find a solution for this.

OP
Prota

Prota

@Prota, unfortunately I have no practical idea how to solve the problem with solid fruits. Neutralizing them with baking soda is not an option, is it? ;):innocent:
I usually avoid them because I cannot afford long contact with the acids contained. The only solid fruits I eat twice a week or so are mangoes. I cut them in pieces, put in milk. I would not touch oranges any more. Hope, you'll find a solution for this.
Milk, banana, oranges, plums, little baking soda, blender....fruit puree, ph test stripes or maybe more liquid with straw.

Ph adjustment with more or less liquid and more or less Peaty fruits.

Thanks for the response, marteagal.

Agent207

I wonder whats the deal with making juice from whole oranges?

I use to juice 1l. in the mornings, I add bicarbonates, magnesium, b and MB. Shake it and its done, then I take it through the day...

OP
Prota

Prota

I wonder whats the deal with making juice from whole oranges?

I use to juice 1l. in the mornings, I add bicarbonates, magnesium, b and MB. Shake it and its done, then I take it through the day...
I am hypothyroid, i need more solid food.

Luann

@marteagal you brought up rinsing with milk, which is a great idea, the more able that milk is to linger on your teeth afterwards, the better. it's basically topical calcium, which yes, is a thing in tooth health. dry milk is the perfect solution because it sticks to your gums after you eat it dry.

Richiebogie

Hi @Prota,

Phytic acid from non fermented grains, seeds and legumes can interfere with calcium absorption and weaken tooth enamel / bones.

Are you avoiding these as well as flour producs like cakes, biscuits and breads? (Long fermented Sourdough breads should be less of a problem).

OP
Prota

Prota

H
Hi @Prota,

Phytic acid from non fermented grains, seeds and legumes can interfere with calcium absorption and weaken tooth enamel / bones.

Are you avoiding these as well as flour producs like cakes, biscuits and breads? (Long fermented Sourdough breads should be less of a problem).
Hi Richiebogie,

Yes, 15 years.

Commercial oranges are only available (and acidic) fruit. Blending them with baking soda is the only solution i can think of.

I also rinse my mouth with bs solution or milk after meal (oranges) but i don't now how is this helpful in the long run?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals