Everyday Objects And Natural Forms (lounge)

Amazoniac

Just a cool text about a detail in newer objects that reflects a change of mindset in development that approximate products to the smoothness or sharpness of natural forms, not somewhere in between as it has been for a long time as a result of the strictness and obsessiveness of control owa geometry or lack of perception that the objects are the ones that have to adapt to the user and environment, not the other way around.

A Periodic Table of Form: The secret language of surface and meaning in product design, by Gray Holland - Core77
"Functions and features [of everyday objects] most likely dominated the development process rather than ease of use and quality of experience. I would venture again that the user was not really put at the forefront because it is not easy to measure their experience, thus the "rational" mindset ends up driving development by functionality alone because it is simple to quantify. Also much of the "piling up" of Tangentially [literally] formed products today is directly proportional to the tools (solid modeling software) that designers and engineers are using to conceive and implement ideas. So development tools and marketing features are dictating customer experiences instead of the other way around."

"Remember that the Tangent category does not exist in nature in pure form: it is a mental construction from man's imagination; an abstraction of functional form designed to simplify the task of product development. Predating CAD, this geometric linear- and arc-based approach evolved out of the mental constructs of design technique, industrial fabrication, and reproduction of the objects of the 20th Century. It was the root of the Bauhaus ideal: the single language of "form following function." And while I have a deep affection for the pragmatism embodied in that phrase, I find it too limiting."

On a side note, and positives and negatives aside, it's often seen in underdeveloped countries, where there's less effort to control things, more irregular constructions, respecting natural boundaries and less strict/planned occupations: growing as allowed and needed. Seeming like a reverse process of erosion (someone send this one to Ray, so that he can upload to the art gallery).
The opposite is found in palaces almost everywhere. burtlan, if you read this, can you upload a picture of your humble residence?

Last edited:

Drareg

Thanks this was interesting but why does he not talk about time,even motion as time,it's important here,no?

It seems like a great topic to discuss but the author does not deliver imo,to speak of the improtance of emotion in design and then speak of macs, Lamborghini's and F22's, 3 items the essence of material excess and killing in the modern world ,picking these items are his own subconscious coming through imo,he is pumping an intellectual view of design for his own profit. The companies/designs he mentions re-design to keep the newness buzz going,all those products look much the same with similar performance based on outside structure

Suppose it is emotional if an F22 flys over your house and drops a bomb,memorable design there for sure,if it was designed like a crumpled paper airplane the emotional impact would still be there. Lamborginis are also very loud,these cars leave an emotional impact this way also,brightly coloured etc ,somebody screaming at the top of their lungs out of the window of a yellow Ford Fiesta would have similar impact in society or with the boot converted into a stereo system.
I guess it's about what it does that counts,after that it's over-designed,we could apply this to nature,is nature overdesigned ? male nipples you say ? according to Peat they do have use during times when a man may need to breast feed the child when mother is not present for extended periods.
It sounds like the reductionist view of design.

For example Salvador Dali's the persistence of time started life as rectangular white piece of paper in essence,why do many painting start on rectangular canvases and not round?most master pieces do.

It looks like the new tool is weaker,slightly better looking but possibly not as practical.
The macbooks look similar except for the colours on the screen and keyboard.
Lambo's are douchebag detectors and the essence of humanitys capacity for creative grime,the F22 is a machine for insuring peace and love.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Thanks this was interesting but why does he not talk about time,even motion as time,it's important here,no?

It seems like a great topic to discuss but the author does not deliver imo,to speak of the improtance of emotion in design and then speak of macs, Lamborghini's and F22's, 3 items the essence of material excess and killing in the modern world ,picking these items are his own subconscious coming through imo,he is pumping an intellectual view of design for his own profit. The companies/designs he mentions re-design to keep the newness buzz going,all those products look much the same with similar performance based on outside structure

Suppose it is emotional if an F22 flys over your house and drops a bomb,memorable design there for sure,if it was designed like a crumpled paper airplane the emotional impact would still be there. Lamborginis are also very loud,these cars leave an emotional impact this way also,brightly coloured etc ,somebody screaming at the top of their lungs out of the window of a yellow Ford Fiesta would have similar impact in society or with the boot converted into a stereo system.
I guess it's about what it does that counts,after that it's over-designed,we could apply this to nature,is nature overdesigned ? male nipples you say ? according to Peat they do have use during times when a man may need to breast feed the child when mother is not present for extended periods.
It sounds like the reductionist view of design.

For example Salvador Dali's the persistence of time started life as rectangular white piece of paper in essence,why do many painting start on rectangular canvases and not round?most master pieces do.

It looks like the new tool is weaker,slightly better looking but possibly not as practical.
The macbooks look similar except for the colours on the screen and keyboard.
Lambo's are douchebag detectors and the essence of humanitys capacity for creative grime,the F22 is a machine for insuring peace and love.
I thought that this thread was going straight to the dungeons. :ss

Your thoughts about economy and practicality make sense, working with straight geometry would accomplish that. I think that most designers are creative because of a slight ignorance and lack of specialization, which is what makes the profession great for innovation, but not much for the application of it.

You know when you build a paper plane that every tiny difference when folding transforms the whole flight? I guess that it's something similar here. This harmony in details can only be perceived in tighly controlled experiments when needed for industrial purposes/improvements or by the feeling of the user.

Apple’s Icons Have That Shape for a Very Good Reason

Last edited:
OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

The blade industry has a lot of information about grinds, and how each of them have advantages and disadvantages. The convex (harmonious) type tends to be one of the most resistant ones, for example. Search on Google images "blade grinds".

Check this:
LowTemp
"After resetting my daytime body temperature back up to 98.6oF, I feel that I am more brilliant than I have EVER been and make fewer mistakes, but at the cost of some attention span and tolerance for uninteresting detail. Before, I would have patiently analyzed and untied the Gordian Knot, whereas now I would simply cut it in half."

Edit: Drared, it's not directed towards you or your post, but to the obsession with minutiae.

Last edited:

Drareg

I thought that this thread was going straight to the dungeons. :ss

Your thoughts about economy and practicality make sense, working with straight geometry would accomplish that. I think that most designers are creative because of a slight ignorance and lack of specialization, which is what makes the profession great for innovation, but not much for the application of it.

You know when you build a paper plane that every tiny difference when folding transforms the whole flight? I guess that it's something similar here. This harmony in details can only be perceived in tighly controlled experiments when needed for industrial purposes/improvements or by the feeling of the user.

Apple’s Icons Have That Shape for a Very Good Reason

Right but a crumpled up ball of paper can be thrown further I think,starting on the ground anyway.

Yes the minutiae,it's always possible to get stuck in the reductionist world,the details so to speak.

What about architects in this case,we have some terrible buildings for the sake of design,however this design makes sense for the environment in question.
http://inhabitat.com/mohammad-ganji...rans-mosques-celebrate-their-sacred-geometry/

Unfortunately I don't know what the song is in the video before everyone starts asking.....

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Right but a crumpled up ball of paper can be thrown further I think,starting on the ground anyway.

Yes the minutiae,it's always possible to get stuck in the reductionist world,the details so to speak.

What about architects in this case,we have some terrible buildings for the sake of design,however this design makes sense for the environment in question.
http://inhabitat.com/mohammad-ganji...rans-mosques-celebrate-their-sacred-geometry/

Unfortunately I don't know what the song is in the video before everyone starts asking.....

One of the most famous architects where I live is known for projecting some bizarre and impractical buildings, a nightmare for those that are going to realize the projects but also for the inhabitants, however they end up being unique and become icons of cities.

burtlan finds sacred geometry everyday when shaving in front of the mirror.

By the way, this works:
Musipedia: Musipedia Melody Search Engine
I already found many pieces with it, but I'm not sure if the micro matches results for non-tempered music. It's cool!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals