Every Year, A Penguin Swims Thousands Of Miles To Visit A Man Who Saved Him

Cirion

I can say with certainty that grain fed meat is very pro-inflammatory for me. Like, literally I will start to feel random aches and pains in the joints and sometimes muscles after.

akgrrrl

That last bit about the bovine male calf being slaughtered in front of her sounds a bit hyperbolic...

Is it weird that I find conventional raised meats and dairy tastier than grass fed? The PUFAS have (un)saturated my taste buds!

These threads always get derailed, and I am definitely guilty of instigating such behavior.
You may think that hyperbole if you want, but I was raised in Oklahoma beef country on grain fed beef and all its distasteful practices were not hidden until decades later. In summers we kids would go to Arkansas where great aunt and uncle raised 14,000 broiler hens which was yet another hands on experience I cannot un-see, un-smell, or un-know. Both industries were rife with chemicals and cruelty, nothing like the clean kill of a hunter's aim.

Peatogenic

I would argue this not an example of intelligence, but of instinct. Penguins already migrate long distances each year for mating, as many birds do. This penguin developed a familial bond with the gentleman due to the extended period of time he was being cared for, thus his innate migration shifted to his new "home". This is actually observable in zoology, as birds caught in the wild and brought long distances into captivity, after remaining in captivity long enough to integrate the new place as a home, will not migrate back to the original home in the wild.

This story, while interesting and sweet, does not demonstrate an intelligence previously unknown to penguins.

And to get philosophical, "love" among humans is an instinct. I don't perceive it somehow above or in a different domain from our biology. So in that sense, it could even be "love" for the penguin. Animals can be incredibly selfless like humans, but this seems wired in as well.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom