Every 5% Increase Of Total Calories From Saturated Fat Associated With Higher Risk Of Mortality

Saturated Fat - Brain Booster or Brain Killer? - The Energy Blueprint

The largest study on saturated fats and total longevity showed that: “When compared with carbohydrates, every 5% increase of total calories from saturated fat was associated with an 8% higher risk of overall mortality” from causes like Alzheimer’s disease, cardiovascular disease, and cancer. [10]

"What does this mean? It means that your brain does need cholesterol and saturated fat, but it makes its own when it needs it.

Roughly 7% of your circulating cholesterol comes from your diet. Your brain is not dependent on your diet for cholesterol. Your brain makes its own cholesterol as needed and that cholesterol is made from different constituents than the cholesterol in your bloodstream.

Saturated fats are not a health food and there is no credible evidence suggesting that they will protect your brain from aging or help it work better."

OP
ShirtTieFitness
@Edward let's get some other viewpoints for balance OH WAIT

Am sure you are joking Such, but Edwards latest post gives us some clues that his strictly HFLC days are over:

The Apocalypse: Conquest

"I eat all of the macronutrients in any combination that I am hungry for. The only rule I follow is to avoid polyunsaturated fat."

"One of the most interesting accidental discoveries I made this year was after I purchased a pressure cooker. Starch gelatinization on digestibility is pretty incredible, rice and potatoes no longer bother me."

Am sure you are joking Such, but Edwards latest post gives us some clues that his strictly HFLC days are over:

The Apocalypse: Conquest

"I eat all of the macronutrients in any combination that I am hungry for. The only rule I follow is to avoid polyunsaturated fat."

"One of the most interesting accidental discoveries I made this year was after I purchased a pressure cooker. Starch gelatinization on digestibility is pretty incredible, rice and potatoes no longer bother me."

Lol, that's disappointing

tankasnowgod

Saturated Fat - Brain Booster or Brain Killer? - The Energy Blueprint

The largest study on saturated fats and total longevity showed that: “When compared with carbohydrates, every 5% increase of total calories from saturated fat was associated with an 8% higher risk of overall mortality” from causes like Alzheimer’s disease, cardiovascular disease, and cancer. [10]

Well, that association is a giant leap of faith, considering food intake was only assessed once every 2-4 years.

raypeatclips

Lol, that's disappointing

tumblr_inline_o3fq6ek2po1t82rs0_500.jpg

Interesting. I wonder whether the type of saturated fat matters. My current understanding is that while Dr. Peat has occasionally advised to limit saturated fat intake from meat and dairy, he's always been a proponent of coconut oil.

J

jb116

Interesting. I wonder whether the type of saturated fat matters. My current understanding is that while Dr. Peat has occasionally advised to limit saturated fat intake from meat and dairy, he's always been a proponent of coconut oil.
We should not misinterpret Dr. Peat's words. He has advised limiting saturated fats not within the context "saturated fat is bad for you" but in the context of overall weight gain. He as indeed mentioned several times if you don't watch your saturated fat intake, it is after all fat, you could gain weight. He has never explicitly stated that saturated fat will increase mortality or destroy your health.
Also, "according to a study from Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health"
yeeea, I'll take a grain of salt with that.

@Westside PUFAs a study that might be interesting for you!

No because it's not controlled. I'm not anti-saturated fat. I consume cocoa bean fat, coconut fat, palm fat and some cow fat but I just control the amount and keep it low overall, sometimes very low, sometimes none at all and sometimes high when doing experimental things. I just think that when it comes to filling up your fat cells a.k.a. becoming obese, fat, whether saturated or not, does it better than any amino acid or carbohydrate ever will or could and this is because the nature of fatty acids in the bloodstream. And I think carbohydrate and fat do not mix well in the bloodstream and cause stress when consumed at the same time. I think that when people blame "carbs" for one being obese, they completely ignore all of the fat that the obese also eat alongside the "carbs." It is such a crazy statement because they are actually implying that the obese eat a low fat diet. That is ridiculous. They do not. And I'm not saying that they have to. Maybe they can do high fat low carb and lose all of the excess fat. But again, the two don't mix at the same time. Pick your fuel.

Last edited:

milk_lover

No because it's not controlled. I'm not anti-saturated fat. I consume cacao fat, coconut fat, palm fat and some cow fat but I just control the amount and keep it low overall, sometimes very low, sometimes high when doing experimental things. I just think that when it comes to filling up your fat cells a.k.a. becomeing obese, fat, whether saturated or not, does it better than any amino acid or carbohydrate ever will or could and this is because the nature of fatty acids in the bloodstream. And I think carbohydrate and fat do not mix well in the bloodstream and cause stress when consumed at the same time. I think when people blame "carbs" for one being obese completely ignores all of the fat that the obese also eat alongside the "carbs." It is such a crazy statement because they are actually implying that the obese eat a low fat diet. That is ridiculous. They do not. And I'm not saying they have to. Maybe they can do high fat low carb and lose all the excess fat. But again, the two don't mix at the same time. Pick your fuel.

What about Peat recommendation of eating starch with some type of fat to reduce insulin?

schultz

Whoa, different types of saturated fats? That's too complicated! Better to just lump them all into 1 group. Actually let's lump all fat into 1 group to simplify things.

What about Peat recommendation of eating starch with some type of fat to reduce insulin?

Peat may have contradicted on that because of this quote so I'm not sure what his full stance is. I think it's the opposite. I think the fatty acids in the bloodstream make it harder for insulin and glucose to do what it needs to do when they go into the blood at the same time. This is just from my own PE and from most people I know who eat H starch LF, they keep overall fat low for optimal blood glucose levels because they feel that the fat clogs everything up because your blood would have a large surge of sugar and fat at the same time. I can not eat breakfast, fast for a few hours, and then eat a chunk of butter and be fine, no insulin or blood glucose problems. But not with the butter and starch at the same time. I think this is why people get "food coma" when eating pizza, burgers, etc. High fat and high starch simultaneously.

I think lactose may be the only exception to this as a sugar that can work well with SFA simultaneously.

J

jb116

Peat may have contradicted on that because of this quote so I'm not sure what his full stance is. I think it's the opposite. I think the fatty acids in the bloodstream make it harder for insulin and glucose to do what it needs to do when they go into the blood at the same time. This is just from my own PE and from most people I know who eat H starch LF, they keep overall fat low for optimal blood glucose levels because they feel that the fat clogs everything up because your blood would have a large surge of sugar and fat at the same time. I can not eat breakfast, fast for a few hours, and then eat a chunk of butter and be fine, no insulin or blood glucose problems. But not with the butter and starch at the same time. I think this is why people get "food coma" when eating pizza, burgers, etc. High fat and high starch simultaneously.

I don't see that quote as a contradiction, I see it as specific to a scenario. Both things are correct but each detriment and benefit applies to a specific situation. Again, we should look at his words carefully since he doesn't say eat lots of saturated fat with starch. His intent is to slow the release of the starch to prevent spikes. That's perfectly sound. It's also true as confirmed by Peat that fatty acids can inhibit glucose oxidation as per the quote you posted for example. But perhaps, in context, having "some fat," saturated at that, is beneficial precisely because it interferes. Perhaps by that mechanism we deem detrimental in vast quantities, chronically, since that becomes dominant, is actually what helps with satiety in small or balanced amounts: creating an acute, short-lived resistance while pro-longing the activity of the digestion.

milk_lover

@Westside PUFAs I really appreciate your input in the forum as always. But it's truly hard for me to make that plan practical for me, especially I work around 9 hours a day and I go out for lunch with my coworkers. How can I eat simple white rice without anything? It would be tasteless. How would you advice me to apply your advice? I really mean it because I like to try new things.

Wagner83

I have gotten food coma from very low fat high carb and some proteins too, although a few times it worked extremely well, I 'd get oily skin, bursts in well being and energy, feel warm etc.. Repeating the same meal at the same time does not produce the same results, I need to experiment some more but so far I'm a bit at a loss as to what happens after those meals to create such unreliable responses. In the afternoon lots of starch = food coma for sure, again, I need to experiment more with it.

tankasnowgod

I have gotten food coma from very low fat high carb and some proteins too, although a few times it worked extremely well, I 'd get oily skin, bursts in well being and energy, feel warm etc.. Repeating the same meal at the same time does not produce the same results, I need to experiment some more but so far I'm a bit at a loss as to what happens after those meals to create such unreliable responses. In the afternoon lots of starch = food coma for sure, again, I need to experiment more with it.

Have you ever done a full iron panel? One of the things I noticed as I lowered body iron stores was the ability to eat starchy foods WITHOUT the food coma feeling afterwards.