Even very low-dose endocrine disruptors induce learned helplessness, anhedonia

haidut

Forum Supporter
Not much to comment on this study, considering the mountains of literature already available on the topic of endocrine disruptors such as BPA/BPA/DEHP, except to point out that the results were obtained even with very low-dose exposure to the harmful chemicals. Another interesting finding was the feminization of the male threat response that the chemicals caused. And perhaps the most eye-opening findings were the reductions in dopamine, as well as the induction of passive coping strategies in both sexes - a reliable sign of learned helplessness. So, in summary, even very low dose exposure to endocrine disruptor chemicals leads to anhedonia (low dopamine), feminization (in males), and learned helplessness in both sexes.

Endocrine-disrupting chemical exposure in womb impact fear, anxiety behavior in rats
"...However, male offspring administered high-dose DEHP showed feminized anxiety-like behavior in a maze. Fear responses among male offspring in most of the groups exposed to endocrine-disrupting chemicals were impaired in a test examining the response to a threatening object. Interestingly, low-dose endocrine disruptors led to passive coping strategies in male and female offspring. Brain studies indicate male offspring in the BPA, low-dose and high-dose DEHP, and BPA and high-dose DEHP groups had diminished dopamine levels in the paraventricular hypothalamic nucleus. "

LeeLemonoil

This has so many implications if humans are influenced in a similar vein. Plastic changed history and civilization forever.

Question: what might be human „female threat responses“ and what are male responses?

What are passive coping strategies translated to humans?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
This has so many implications if humans are influenced in a similar vein. Plastic changed history and civilization forever.

Question: what might be human „female threat responses“ and what are male responses?

What are passive coping strategies translated to humans?

Females (rodents) typically freeze when presented with a thread while males would normally fight. Castrated males exhibit feminized dear responses too, so another way of looking at this study is that those endocrine disruptors (chemically) castrated the males.
As far as the passive coping response, see below.
"...Passive coping responses are often used when individuals decide that the basic circumstances cannot be altered and, thus, they need to accept a situation as it is (Blalock & Joiner, 2000)."

"...Passive coping refers to feeling of helplessness to deal with the stressor and relying on others to resolve the stressful event or situation (Zeidner & Endler, 1996). Those engaging in passive coping relinquish to others the control of the stressful situation and of their reaction to that situation, or allow other areas of their lives to be adversely affected by the stressful event or situation (Field, McCabe, & Schneiderman, 1985). This reliance on external resources is contrasted with “active coping,” in which the individual is relying upon their own."
"...Passive coping generally involves avoidance, withdrawal, and wishful thinking. ... Catastrophization (e.g., thinking “it's terrible and I think it's never going ..."

Nomane Euger

@haidut hi, anything that give me low DHT rising E2/serotonin associated characteristics make me experience dreams where violence and confrontation cause me pains in my brains even with high testosterone associated characteristics,while awake contexts with rising tension and potential confrontations and threat are way more likely to cause me some unpleasants hearts and belly feelings,wich in it self can stop me from acting.High DHT some serotonin/E2 associated characteristics i have dream where violence and competition feel enjoyable,and during the day i dont submit or freeze in any situation,i dont get any unpleasants heart or belly feelings,and i get dominant and more violent orally and acessory physically when peoples say/do things that i deem disrespectfull,with out being a bully

Back
Top Bottom