Even “normal” TSH Levels Correlate With Arterial Stiffness

One thing I’m always wondering about is Dr. Peat’s insistence that TSH itself is inflammatory.

Here is a study that bears him out...

High normal thyroid-stimulating hormone is associated with... : Journal of Hypertension

Note that women with NORMAL TSH values had greater arterial stiffness...and this correlates with insulin resistance...

Objective: Apart from the effects of a dysfunctional thyroid gland on the cardiovascular system, thyroid function within the reference range may have an impact on the vasculature. The present study aimed to evaluate the association between thyroid function and markers of arterial structure and function in euthyroid postmenopausal women.

Methods: The present cross-sectional study recruited 106 healthy postmenopausal women with a mean age of 55.0 years and thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH) levels within the laboratory reference range (0.4–4.5 μIU/ml). Anthropometric and biochemical measures as well as blood pressure were determined in each individual. Vascular structure and function were assessed by intima–media thickness, pulse wave velocity (PWV), augmentation index and flow-mediated dilation, respectively. We evaluated the associations between arterial markers and serum TSH, free triiodothyronine, free thyroxin, as well as serum thyroid peroxidase and thyroglobulin autoantibodies.

Results: Mean levels of PWV increased linearly across increasing TSH quartiles (P value = 0.014). Individuals with serum TSH greater than 2.5 μIU/ml had significantly higher values of PWV when compared with individuals with TSH levels below 2.5 μIU/ml (9.68 ± 1.97 vs. 8.54 ± 1.83 m/s; P = 0.030). In multivariate analysis, age, insulin resistance and TSH above 2.5 μIU/ml were the only significant predictors of PWV (TSH, β-coefficient = 0.222; P = 0.014). No associations were found between the remaining markers and levels of thyroid hormones, whereas thyroid antibodies were not associated with any of the arterial markers.

Conclusion: Women with TSH levels in the upper reference range have increased arterial stiffness compared to women with lower TSH. The upper limit of normal TSH in postmenopausal women may need re-evaluation with respect to the effects on the vasculature.

akgrrrl

Yes, excellent discover. I am in that group and currently ameliorating arterial stiffness and some deposits. Very helpful.

ShotTrue

Elevated TSH seems to be correlated to inflammation.
I have a friend who lowered his TSH with curcumin and turmeric, herbs usually used for inflammation

marsaday

Can arterial plaque be removed with diet or once you have it it just stays there ?

I have been told i have a narrowing of an artery but it isn't serious and so i need to think longer term about letting it get worse, but i would prefer to try and get rid of it (if possible).

TeaRex14

Can arterial plaque be removed with diet or once you have it it just stays there ?

I have been told i have a narrowing of an artery but it isn't serious and so i need to think longer term about letting it get worse, but i would prefer to try and get rid of it (if possible).
It's possible, sure. Raising CO2 is the main goal for treating atherosclerosis, as with most other diseases as well. Anything that helps the metabolic rate will obviously have net positive effects on the cardiovascular system. Lowering free fatty acids, by getting enough carbohydrate, thiamine, biotin, and niacinamide is the first and arguably most crucial step. This probably means eating a lower fat diet as well, anything 20% and below is fine, with an emphasis on PUFA reduction (2% or lower). Check temps and pulse rate, to determine whether or not NDT supplementation is appropriate. Most of the population probably would benefit from taking at least 1 grain of thyroid. Reduce the amount of tryptophan, methionine, and cysteine you're eating. Increase the amount of gelatin in your diet. Take at least 6 grams of vitamin c (ascorbic acid) and 3 grams of lysine in divided doses everyday. Once arterial plaque has regressed significantly, reduce to 3 grams of vitamin c and 1.5 grams of lysine for proactive maintenance. Additional supplements can help, such as aspirin, magnesium, K2, taurine, vitamin E, pregnenolone, cypro, etc. My one recommendation is to avoid most supplement vendors, you end up getting watered down, weak products with a bunch of additives and filler. Health Natura, Idealabs, Pure Bulk, and Life Giving Store are the best vendors in my opinion. You get pure products, not a lot (if any) added ingredients. For magnesium, Ancient Minerals also sells a good mag oil.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals