Even Minimal Zinc Deficiency Impairs Digestion

Quotes are from the news release (Diet lacking in zinc is detrimental to human, animal health: Even moderate zinc deficiency is bad for digestion) of the study "Subclinical zinc deficiency impairs pancreatic digestive enzyme activity and digestive capacity of weaned piglets." (Subclinical zinc deficiency impairs pancreatic digestive enzyme activity and digestive capacity of weaned piglets. - PubMed - NCBI)

"The trace element zinc has an impact on the essential metabolic functions of most living organisms. New research carried out by the Chair of Animal Nutrition at the Technical University of Munich (TUM) has found that even minimal zinc deficiency impairs digestion, albeit without any typical symptoms such as skin problems or fatigue. Hence, short-term zinc deficiency in the diet should be avoided."

"the accumulation of undigested food inside the gastrointestinal tract due to zinc deficiency results in feeling less hungry," says Brugger."

""We proved that there is a direct correlation between the amount of digestive enzymes inside the pancreas and zinc levels in the organism as a whole," explains Brugger. "Even short intervals of zinc deficiency in the diet should therefore be avoided. Given the similarities between a pig's organism and the human organism, we may draw the following conclusion when applying our results to the human body: an egg or two more once in a while can do no harm." Brugger advises vegans, vegetarians and older people to monitor their zinc intake. Among other things, a subclinical zinc deficiency in humans has been attributed to increased levels of inflammation markers and reduced immunocompetence."

From the actual study abstract:
"Pancreatic Zn concentrations and pancreatic activities of trypsin, chymotrypsin, carboxypeptidase A and B, elastase and α-amylase exhibited a broken-line response to stepwise reduction in dietary Zn by declining beneath thresholds of 39·0, 58·0, 58·0, 41·2, 47·5, 57·7 and 58·0 mg Zn/kg diet, respectively. Furthermore, carboxypeptidase B and α-amylase activities were significantly lower in samples with reduced pancreatic Zn contents. Coefficients of faecal digestibility of DM, crude protein, total lipids and crude ash responded similarly to pancreatic enzyme activities by declining below dietary thresholds of 54·7, 45·0, 46·9 and 58·2 mg Zn/kg diet, respectively. In conclusion, (1) subclinical Zn deficiency impaired pancreatic exocrine enzymes, (2) this response was connected to pancreatic Zn metabolism and (3) the decline in catalytic activity impaired faecal digestibility already after 1 week of insufficient alimentary Zn supply and very early before clinical deficiency symptoms arise."

Reasons to make sure one eats oysters regularly?

Vinny

Quotes are from the news release (Diet lacking in zinc is detrimental to human, animal health: Even moderate zinc deficiency is bad for digestion) of the study "Subclinical zinc deficiency impairs pancreatic digestive enzyme activity and digestive capacity of weaned piglets." (Subclinical zinc deficiency impairs pancreatic digestive enzyme activity and digestive capacity of weaned piglets. - PubMed - NCBI)

"The trace element zinc has an impact on the essential metabolic functions of most living organisms. New research carried out by the Chair of Animal Nutrition at the Technical University of Munich (TUM) has found that even minimal zinc deficiency impairs digestion, albeit without any typical symptoms such as skin problems or fatigue. Hence, short-term zinc deficiency in the diet should be avoided."

"the accumulation of undigested food inside the gastrointestinal tract due to zinc deficiency results in feeling less hungry," says Brugger."

""We proved that there is a direct correlation between the amount of digestive enzymes inside the pancreas and zinc levels in the organism as a whole," explains Brugger. "Even short intervals of zinc deficiency in the diet should therefore be avoided. Given the similarities between a pig's organism and the human organism, we may draw the following conclusion when applying our results to the human body: an egg or two more once in a while can do no harm." Brugger advises vegans, vegetarians and older people to monitor their zinc intake. Among other things, a subclinical zinc deficiency in humans has been attributed to increased levels of inflammation markers and reduced immunocompetence."

"Pancreatic Zn concentrations and pancreatic activities of trypsin, chymotrypsin, carboxypeptidase A and B, elastase and α-amylase exhibited a broken-line response to stepwise reduction in dietary Zn by declining beneath thresholds of 39·0, 58·0, 58·0, 41·2, 47·5, 57·7 and 58·0 mg Zn/kg diet, respectively. Furthermore, carboxypeptidase B and α-amylase activities were significantly lower in samples with reduced pancreatic Zn contents. Coefficients of faecal digestibility of DM, crude protein, total lipids and crude ash responded similarly to pancreatic enzyme activities by declining below dietary thresholds of 54·7, 45·0, 46·9 and 58·2 mg Zn/kg diet, respectively. In conclusion, (1) subclinical Zn deficiency impaired pancreatic exocrine enzymes, (2) this response was connected to pancreatic Zn metabolism and (3) the decline in catalytic activity impaired faecal digestibility already after 1 week of insufficient alimentary Zn supply and very early before clinical deficiency symptoms arise."

Thank you. I suppose I have pancreatic issues, will try to get some more zinc

ExCarniv

Beef have good amounts of zinc and you should eat zinc everyday, easier to eat a small steak everyday than oysters.

Waremu

Beef have good amounts of zinc and you should eat zinc everyday, easier to eat a small steak everyday than oysters.

I disagree that it is easier to rely on steak than oysters for zinc. It's actually more economic and easier to eat a small or half an oyster with each of your main meals. Assuming you don't hate the taste. If taste is not an issue, it's far easier to rely on oysters for zinc. To eat steak for zinc, you would need to eat steak at most meals so that the zinc is divided up because you can only eat enough zinc at any given meal to last you two-thirds of your day. I can buy half a dozen of wild caught oysters for like six bucks. Way more zinc per calorie/dollar. Thats not to say that one shouldn't eat steak for a portion of their daily zinc or whatever, but I wouldn't rely on it for zinc, especially if I had a genetic disorder that causes me to absorb/store more iron, which many people do have. I would eat or look at steak more so as a main source of protein calories rather than something to rely on for that micronutrient.

Waremu

Good article. With chronic masturbation, sex/ejaculation, digestive/stomach acid issues, and anti-nutrients commonly consumed with zinc foods all combined, I think far more people suffer from lower levels of zinc than is known or reported. Copper is also another one. Wild caught lobster is one of my favorite lower PUFA copper sources and oysters for zinc. Reasonably economic, depending on where you live as well. Zinc is also very important for the body to remove certain heavy metals, toxins, etc.

Mauritio

I recently had a cold that lasted for almost two weeks I tried everything from charcoal to aspirin to methylene blue , antibiotics ,...
Only when I took 25mg of zinc i got completely rid of it. Might be a coincidence.
I also got those white spots in my fingernail that I haven't had in probably years and I think their indicative of a zinc deficiency...

Overall guys we should think about the micro minerals more!
Also had great results from selenium . I also want to take at least once or twice a week a drop of iodine and some manganese ...

I don't eat that much see food and no oysters but a lot of lamb and chicken. So some of those minerals might be lacking.

Amazoniac

Guru, I'll be practicing fecal retention to preserve brain cells and assimilate more of this great information. Thank you for sharing.
keep in my that one can only absorb about 10mg each 6-8 hours.so intake should be spread out accordingly.
Since the absorption becomes more incomplete as the dose increases and it can interfere with the uptake of other nutrients, the idea of not concentrating is good, but I'm not sure about the relevance of adsordeb amount for meal content.
- Zinc bioavailability and homeostasis

--
- Handbook of Elemental Speciation II – Species in the Environment, Food, Medicine and Occupational Health
Chapter 2.22: Speciation of Zinc ()

Vinny

burtlancast

Maybe the reason zinc helps to prevent/treat cancer: it increases the activity of trypsine and chymotrypsine, the 2 enzymes used for IV injection by the enzyme doctors ( John Beard, Krebs Sr)

Guru, I'll be practicing fecal retention to preserve brain cells and assimilate more of this great information. Thank you for sharing.

Since the absorption becomes more incomplete as the dose increases and it can interfere with the uptake of other nutrients, the idea of not concentrating is good, but I'm not sure about the relevance of adsordeb amount for meal content.
- Zinc bioavailability and homeostasis

--
- Handbook of Elemental Speciation II – Species in the Environment, Food, Medicine and Occupational Health
Chapter 2.22: Speciation of Zinc ()

good thinking.

I recently had a cold that lasted for almost two weeks I tried everything from charcoal to aspirin to methylene blue , antibiotics ,...
Only when I took 25mg of zinc i got completely rid of it. Might be a coincidence.
I also got those white spots in my fingernail that I haven't had in probably years and I think their indicative of a zinc deficiency...

Also had great results from selenium . I also want to take at least once or twice a week a drop of iodine and some manganese ...

I don't eat that much see food and no oysters but a lot of lamb and chicken. So some of those minerals might be lacking.

yes,we should care more about micros.if someone is already depleted,it is for most micros impossible to ever get right again.vitamin e depletion and
resistance to low doses is mind-boggling,you have to supplement,otherwise you never get it back!wonder how much victims of the medical complex are
roaming around at any given time =[

long standing infection sounds like Vitamin D deficiency to me.had reoccuring Tonsilitis that hurt my
wellbeing,only resolved by megadosing Vitamin D3 for a short time,then 4000IU maintenance.
yes,the white spots are indeed a marker of zinc-insufficiency,they are imperfections in Proteinsyntheses.
how much meat do you eat per day?bodyweight?age?

Vinny

Hi! Did it help or anything else?
Hi.
Had forgotten about zinc, but I eat almost only meat, which I digest very well, so I guess it helps.