Even mainstream medicine admits many claims about sugar are myths

haidut

Forum Supporter
It is always nice to see when a outpost of mainstream medicine tries to set the record straight on something as controversial as refined sugar. My personal favorites are the myths on sugar and causal links to diabetes / cancer. Apparently, there is solid evidence those links are myths. Yet, every doctor I ever met keeps promoting those falsehoods...yet rarely practices them. The same appears to be true of FDA, even though their constant parroting of lies/falsehoods is probably more driven by lobbying then (institutional) stupidity.

6 common myths about sugar

(1) Sugar is addictive

"...Along similar lines, Prof. David Nutt, Chair of the Independent Scientific Committee on Drugs and head of the Department of Neuropsychopharmacology and Molecular Imaging at Imperial College London, writes: “There is not currently scientific evidence that sugar is addictive, although we know that sugar has psychological effects, including producing pleasure, and these are almost certainly mediated via brain reward systems.”

(2) Sugar makes kids hyperactive

"...This is perhaps the most common myth associated with sugar: eating candy causes children to run wild. In fact, there is no scientific evidence that sugar increases hyperactivity in the vast majority of children. For instance, a 1995 meta-analysis in JAMA combined data from 23 experiments across 16 scientific papers. They concluded: “This meta-analysis of the reported studies to date found that sugar (mainly sucrose) does not affect the behavior or cognitive performance of children.”

(3) Sugar causes diabetes

"...Another relatively common myth is that sugar directly causes diabetes. However, there is no direct link between the two. The confusion perhaps arises because there is an intrinsic association between blood sugar levels and diabetes."

(4) Avoid fruit when dieting

"...Fruits are delicious, partly because they are sweet, thanks to naturally occurring sugars. Because of their sugar content, some people believe that we should avoid eating fruit when maintaining a moderate weight. This is a myth. Fruits contain a range of healthful compounds, including a variety of vitamins and minerals, and fiber."

(5) Sugar causes cancer

"...Cancer cells divide rapidly, meaning they require a great deal of energy, which sugar can provide. This, perhaps, is the root of this myth. However, all cells need sugar, and cancer cells also require other nutrients to survive, such as amino acids and fats, so it’s not all about sugar. According to Cancer Research UK: “There’s no evidence that following a sugar-free diet lowers the risk of getting cancer, or boosts the chances of surviving if you are diagnosed.”

equipoise

I always say the biggest thing I got for me from Peat is not fearing sugar. They really got me in the past. After my body got accustomed to sugar metabolism, things started getting better

Perry Staltic

I say yea and amen to this. But I don't need anyone to tell me too much sugar is not good because my own body tells me that.

Although there are a number of misunderstandings surrounding sugar, some things are certain: although it might not directly cause diabetes or cancer, eating high levels of sugar is not healthful. Moderation, I am afraid, is the solution.

Salvador

It is always nice to see when a outpost of mainstream medicine tries to set the record straight on something as controversial as refined sugar. My personal favorites are the myths on sugar and causal links to diabetes / cancer. Apparently, there is solid evidence those links are myths. Yet, every doctor I ever met keeps promoting those falsehoods...yet rarely practices them. The same appears to be true of FDA, even though their constant parroting of lies/falsehoods is probably more driven by lobbying then (institutional) stupidity.

6 common myths about sugar

(1) Sugar is addictive

"...Along similar lines, Prof. David Nutt, Chair of the Independent Scientific Committee on Drugs and head of the Department of Neuropsychopharmacology and Molecular Imaging at Imperial College London, writes: “There is not currently scientific evidence that sugar is addictive, although we know that sugar has psychological effects, including producing pleasure, and these are almost certainly mediated via brain reward systems.”

(2) Sugar makes kids hyperactive

"...This is perhaps the most common myth associated with sugar: eating candy causes children to run wild. In fact, there is no scientific evidence that sugar increases hyperactivity in the vast majority of children. For instance, a 1995 meta-analysis in JAMA combined data from 23 experiments across 16 scientific papers. They concluded: “This meta-analysis of the reported studies to date found that sugar (mainly sucrose) does not affect the behavior or cognitive performance of children.”

(3) Sugar causes diabetes

"...Another relatively common myth is that sugar directly causes diabetes. However, there is no direct link between the two. The confusion perhaps arises because there is an intrinsic association between blood sugar levels and diabetes."

(4) Avoid fruit when dieting

"...Fruits are delicious, partly because they are sweet, thanks to naturally occurring sugars. Because of their sugar content, some people believe that we should avoid eating fruit when maintaining a moderate weight. This is a myth. Fruits contain a range of healthful compounds, including a variety of vitamins and minerals, and fiber."

(5) Sugar causes cancer

"...Cancer cells divide rapidly, meaning they require a great deal of energy, which sugar can provide. This, perhaps, is the root of this myth. However, all cells need sugar, and cancer cells also require other nutrients to survive, such as amino acids and fats, so it’s not all about sugar. According to Cancer Research UK: “There’s no evidence that following a sugar-free diet lowers the risk of getting cancer, or boosts the chances of surviving if you are diagnosed.”
Hi Georgi, I work as an MD in a center for preventive health care. Unfortunately I am surrounded by people who still very much believe in these myths. Is there a database of sorts of articles which point out or directly contradict these beliefs? Would be of much help. Thanks for all your continuous work and dedication. Kind regards from Amsterdam

meatbag

Hi Georgi, I work as an MD in a center for preventive health care. Unfortunately I am surrounded by people who still very much believe in these myths. Is there a database of sorts of articles which point out or directly contradict these beliefs? Would be of much help. Thanks for all your continuous work and dedication. Kind regards from Amsterdam
Low Blood Sugar Basics – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
Sugar (Sucrose) Restrains the Stress Response – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)
Ray Peat, PhD on Low Blood Sugar & Stress Reaction – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

Glucose and sucrose for diabetes.
Glycemia, starch, and sugar in context

P

Peatness

President of the European Brain Council