Even low-dose Vitamin D may prevent/treat dental cavities

haidut

Forum Supporter
Another study demonstrating that an "inevitable" conditions such as dental cavities may actually be preventable and, at least in its early forms, even treatable by vitamin D. The study immersed extracted teeth in different types of saliva with varying pH levels. One of the saliva types also came from volunteers that had been taking a (paltry) dose of 1,000 IU vitamin D3 daily for six weeks, before the saliva was collected. The tooth immersion was just 12 hours, and that was sufficient to significantly increase the re-mineralization of the teeth immersed in the saliva from people who had taken the vitamin D. Considering the puny dose of vitamin D used, and the fact that it was also oral route, these robust results suggest that a more targeted application of vitamin D - i.e. directly into the cavity, on the gums, or sublingual - may achieve much stronger effects, potentially even for severe dental cavities. Combining vitamin D with vitamin K may have an even stronger effect, due to the synergy of those vitamins in regards to osteocalcin synthesis/release and bone/calcium metabolism.

Effect of Oral Vitamin D3 on Dental Caries: An In-Vivo and In-Vitro Study
"...For all specimens, there was a significant decrease in both (Ca and P weight %) after demineralization and then they significantly increased after receiving vitamin D3. The microhardness and elemental analysis provide confirmed results that were represented as a statistically significant difference at (P≤ 0.05) between groups that received vitamin D3 and those without vitamin D3 dosage. Oral vitamin D3 has a significant potential in motivating remineralization of early lesions on the enamel surfaces representing improved surface microhardness and minerals content (Ca and P weight %) of demineralized tooth surfaces."

I am fascinated and amazed at how much vitamin D Is involved in so many areas of our health. Many years ago my teeth became transparent, where you could see the roots in them, because I had out dairy and was eating a lot of oats, beans and brown rice. I had read that vitamin D, K and calcium could fix that problem, and my family watched in amazement how each week the white filled back in. Thanks for the great post!

I've made a nice toothpaste from:

coconut oil, , calcium carbonate, baking soda, vitamin k2 powder, and vitamin D3 powder.

The bulk of the toothpaste is calcium carbonate and coconut oil, mixed to the right consistency. Then add the other powders. Must be careful to not overdo the D3, must do the math and keep that amount small.

coconut oil, , calcium carbonate, baking soda, vitamin k2 powder, and vitamin D3 powder.

The bulk of the toothpaste is calcium carbonate and coconut oil, mixed to the right consistency. Then add the other powders. Must be careful to not overdo the D3, must do the math and keep that amount small.
Can you please share the proportions and brand you use for the powders?

RealNeat

I think using MCHA as the calcium would be even more therapeutic.

baccheion

I think meeting all RDAs with simple foods, maintaining mineral ratios (2 : 1 : 2 : 8 : 4 calcium : magnesium : phosphorus : potassium : sodium; especially good when phosphorus is 800-1200 mg), and brushing regularly will do it. Further, sufficient fat-soluble vitamins as had by meeting RDAs. Even 500 mcg vitamin K1, like from collard greens, does something relevant. Then the K2 supplements.

The RDA for vitamin D (400 IU) stated an expected 20% from food. The other 80% was expected from sunlight. The resulting 2,000 IUs would keep vitamin D in the 30s (ng/mL), the real target as absorption varies. 50 IU : 10 mcg : 1 mcg ratio of D3 : MK-4 : MK-7.

Most work on it mention insufficient fat-soluble vitamins, magnesium, and calcium as the cause. Made worse by phytic acid, as it binds to and dramatically lowers magnesium and zinc absorption.

Most things associated with good oral health lower GSK-3b (ie, lower oxidative stress and/or inflammation): vitamin C, bioflavonoids like quercetin, vitamin K, magnesium, zinc, potassium; vitamin B3, vitamin B6, melatonin, lithium, copper..

Most people don't meet all RDAs with food. They also don't eat clean and simple. Then they also don't maintain the mineral ratios I mention above.

Last edited:

yerrag

I think meeting all RDAs with simple foods, maintaining mineral ratios (2 : 1 : 2 : 8 : 4 calcium : magnesium : phosphorus : potassium : sodium; especially good when phosphorus is 800-1200 mg), and brushing regularly will do it. Further, sufficient fat-soluble vitamins as had by meeting RDAs. Even 500 mcg vitamin K1, like from collard greens, does something relevant. Then the K2 supplements.

The RDA for vitamin D (400 IU) stated an expected 20% from food. The other 80% was expected from sunlight. The resulting 2,000 IUs would keep vitamin D in the 30s (ng/mL), the real target as absorption varies. 50 IU : 10 mcg : 1 mcg ratio of D3 : MK-4 : MK-7.

Most work on it mention insufficient fat-soluble vitamins, magnesium, and calcium as the cause. Made worse by phytic acid, as it binds to and dramatically lowers magnesium and zinc absorption.

Most things associated with good oral health lower GSK-3b (ie, lower oxidative stress and/or inflammation): vitamin C, bioflavonoids like quercetin, vitamin K, magnesium, zinc, potassium; vitamin B3, vitamin B6, melatonin, lithium, copper..

Most people don't meet all RDAs with food. They also don't eat clean and simple. Then they also don't maintain the mineral ratios I mention above.
The contribution of sunshine to our health is something that's more than just taking vitamin D3 as a supplement. I'm glad to hear from you that more of the vitamin D is to be obtained from sunlight, as there is a strong inclination to think every nutrient can be encapsulated in a pill and then swallowed, including vitamin D.

How little our doctors think of sunlight can be exemplified in how our ICUs are designed and used to treat the sickest patients, those in the gravest danger of dying. For days on end, they are immobile in a bed in the most sun-deprived environment. I don't even think these patients are even given vitamin D supplements.

In a tropical country and in the middle of summer, and at high noon where the sun is strongest, I would still need about 30 minutes to get 5,000 IU of vitamin D from the sun. It is still a big use or maybe a waste of time given how busy most people are. Still, many people would spend hours at the gym to work out just because their doctor says they lack exercise and that's why they are fat or sickly. So more time spent on an activity that is based on hokum and no time for an activity that is more beneficial.

I've spent the past 6 weeks wasting time sunbathing around high noon when there no strong cloud cover or rain and based on that time spent built 44 ng/ml worth of vitamin D so far, and will continue to do get more sunlight in the coming days to reach levels in excess of the passing grade of 50 ng/ml. But that certainly would put me far in excess of the minimum as I didn't start of with O vitamin D in my blood. But then, I believe it when I heard that one can never overdose on vitamin D when it is obtained from sunlight. And besides, I also get my skin to produce a good amount of cholesteryl sulfate which is a driver of non-heart-derived movement of blood for blood circulation.

Still, sunbathing would still be a luxury for many due to unavailability of their time and location based on seasonality.

But as the saying goes, when there's a will there's a way, and as another saying goes, when one dislikes to do something, one will find a million reasons not to.

One can pretend to treat the sun as a god, and pretend it is his obligation to bathe in the Sun's warmth, and block off all other activity at the time when the sun is the most present, and revolve his day around this obligation. Or one can cheat around this and put a shade sail (where only a certain percentage of the sunlight gets through- a shade sail I have blocks off 70%) so that one can work all day under this shade sail and get more than enough of his daily fill of vitamin D.

Just like my earlier example of the ICU, it is a matter of designing our home or workplace to maximize our health with the help of sunlight.

I have little so far to say of how this translates to improved health, but I'm observing and I have my metrics. Perhaps half a year in, I will have something to report on.

sunny

I am fascinated and amazed at how much vitamin D Is involved in so many areas of our health. Many years ago my teeth became transparent, where you could see the roots in them, because I had out dairy and was eating a lot of oats, beans and brown rice. I had read that vitamin D, K and calcium could fix that problem, and my family watched in amazement how each week the white filled back in. Thanks for the great post!
What were you taking while this happened?
I had a similar phenomena happen for a bit years ago, and then it stopped.
Ever since I have been trying to remember what I might have been doing at the time.
My teeth need to fill back in.