Even Intermittent Fasting Reduces Insulin Sensitivity (in The Obese)

HLP

I believe that certain individuals benefit from consuming most of their calories later in the day. For those of us who lived many years with an imbalance that wasn't addressed and who leaned on food to get through life, eating light during the day and eating more in the evening may work. It does for me and I sleep better too. That being said I work in an office and do moderate muscle toning workouts three times per week. Yes, for those people who do heavy physical work a larger breakfast may be necessary. I don't think it's a one size fits all. This doesn't mean I have nothing to eat all day. I probably consume 500-600 by 4pm in the way of milk and fruit. This is similar to the "Warrior Diet"for me, but without grains or nuts. One thing I know, I never go to bed feeling hungry.

Lyall

I am, but these benefits usually have to do with losing weight. I have not seen any long term studies with IF and things like all-cause mortality, CVD, cancer, etc. Just because something made these people lose some weight does not mean it is automatically good for them. As I posted in another study, it is RMR that is most strongly correlated with health, not BMI or even blood glucose levels. Recent studied found that lowering HbA1c found higher mortality. As usual, the biomarker that the med industry is after is just a symptoms, not something that is beneficial when manipulated.
Glycated hemoglobin - Wikipedia
"...In diabetes mellitus, higher amounts of glycated hemoglobin, indicating poorer control of blood glucose levels, have been associated with cardiovascular disease, nephropathy, neuropathy, and retinopathy. A trial on a group of patients with Type 1 diabetes found that monitoring by caregivers of HbA1c led to changes in diabetes treatment and improvement of metabolic control compared to monitoring only of blood or urine glucose.[3] However, a trial designed specifically to determine whether reducing HbA1c below the normal 6% would reduce the rate of cardiovascular events in Type 2 Diabetes found higher mortality—the trial was terminated early.[4]"
@haidut apologies if this has been asked before but are there any human clinical trials showing increased RMR is associated with lower mortality?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut apologies if this has been asked before but are there any human clinical trials showing increased RMR is associated with lower mortality?

Yes, but I am not near a computer right now so can't search for them. If you search for "RMR mortality" on Google you should be able to find them.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Lyall

Yes, but I am not near a computer right now so can't search for them. If you search for "RMR mortality" on Google you should be able to find them.
Funny thing is googling that produces a slew of hits showing negative correlations with BMR and longevity.

RobertJM

Thomas DeLauer does IF. He is one shredded mofo. He advocates keto/low carb as well, but whenever I have done keto/IF it isn’t the muscle that visibly goes, it is my gut. But then you run into problems with cold hands and feet & just feeling off. You go back to the RP way of eating, and the gut comes back again. I think eating this way, it is just too easy to overeat. Each meal, I know I eat too much. Also, I eat starch as well (in combination with other RP approved foods) and this has also not helped & has perhaps added to the reason I have a tyre of fat going around my mid section. But hey, there’s no rule book with the RP approach to eating is there, so knock yourselves out guys!

I’m just a bit of a pig, that’s all.

rei

I don't see what the title is claiming after reading the study. Insulin AUC is clearly lower when skipping breakfast and the excretion spike is not as extreme. Yet glucose AUC is clearly higher. So a smaller amount of insulin is able to take care of the same amount of food. This is clear increase in insulin sensitivity. Only thing that this study found is that when you start from a fasted state with low insulin/high FFA it takes a bit longer to react to the onslaught of food.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals