haidut

Forum Supporter
I posted a study recently that suggested memories are NOT stored in the brain but are rather somehow capable of being reproduced by chemical messengers (RNA) synthesized by other cells of the organism. And if those RNA messenger molecules are transferred to another organism, so is the "memory" of the original organism.
Memories Not Stored In The Brain But In The Entire Organism, Can Be Transmitted

That study above did not completely eliminate the possibility that memories could be somehow stored in the brain because the brain could be the source of those RNA memory-carrying molecules. However, the study below performed an experiment that I think shows definitively that memories (and possibly personalities) are not stored (exclusively) in the brain. The scientists decapitated flatworms, and let them regrow their heads back (which flatworms can do). Once their heads grew back, the flatworms seemed to remember everything they had learned before the decapitation. As the scientists say, it may be time for neuroscience to start looking beyond the brain as the seat of what makes us "us", including our memories, personalities, and maybe even the source of primordial consciousness. Also, I think these results are consistent with the "brain as an antenna" idea (ala Sheldrake's work), which the proponents of the Electric Universe Theory (EUT) endorse. Incidentally, Luc Montagnier (co-discoverer or HIV) also published a few papers on the idea of DNA being an antenna (hence the coiled shape) and cells using EMF to communicate with each other, and transmit information this way capable of remote "genetic imprinting".
And finally, some food for thought. What would happen to a person who gets periodic blood transfusions from another person, to mimic the memory/personality transfer as per the first study I posted? Would they, over time, become the same person as the blood donor? Or maybe become capable of "telepathy" with that person as Peat suggested? Or, if the human "soul" is really a vortex in the neutrino sea (as Peat also suggested), then if one of these "entangled" people "dies" then the other one would be able to still communicate with them? This phenomenon has been reported extensively in twins, who share identical DNA/RNA and would likely have access to the same subset of the "ethereal" plane (neutrino sea) I mentioned in another post.

An automated training paradigm reveals long-term memory in planaria and its persistence through head regeneration
https://blog.nationalgeographic.org/2013/07/16/decapitated-worms-regrow-heads-keep-old-memories/

"...After the team verified that the worms had memorized where to find food, they chopped off the worms’ heads and let them regrow, which took two weeks. Then the team showed the worms with the regrown heads where to find food, essentially a refresher course of their light training before decapitation. Subsequent experiments showed that the worms remembered where the light spot was, that it was safe, and that food could be found there. The worms’ memories were just as accurate as those worms who had never lost their heads."

"...The obvious question remains: How can a worm remember things after losing its head? “We have no idea,” Levin admitted. “What we do know is that memory can be stored outside the brain—presumably in other body cells—so that [memories] can get imprinted onto the new brain as it regenerates.” Researchers have long confined their investigations of memory and learning to the brain, Levin said, but these results may encourage them to look elsewhere."

Last edited:
I agree with the antenna theory. It helps to explain several times where I was in the same house with a friend or family member, where we both woke up and told eachother about a far-out dream with exact same events and details and eachother in the dream. Whatever the connection there is, it certainly is not always On, but when it is, it is unmistakable.

Last edited:
I think decapitating a person, as opposed to a planaria worm, would affect his or her memories a great deal. LOL

This is one of the most interesting thread titles in some time!

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
I think decapitating a person, as opposed to a planaria worm, would affect his or her memories a great deal. LOL

This is one of the most interesting thread titles in some time!

How do you know? In all seriousness, since we do not yet have the technology to regrow human heads we can't say one way or the other currently. But in theory, regrowth of any body part is possible and some labs already work on making that possible in practice.
Electrical Fields, Not Dna, May Shape The Look Of An Organism

Human bodies can be kept alive indefinitely even in the presence of a dead brain (e.g. people in coma). Making heads regrow is a bit more complex but the idea is the same - if a person with a dead brain can recover and have their memories/personalities return even in the face of massively atrophied brain, then I do not see why the same principle seen in worms would not apply to humans as well. As you can see, the scientists themselves think this applied to humans as well and suggest science start to look beyond the brain as an explanation of memories, personalities and even the origin of consciousness.

Last edited:

Tenacity

This reminds me of caterpillars. During the process of metamorphosis, every cell, including the brain, is scrambled and reassembled. The emergent butterfly essentially has a different brain, yet studies have shown that they retain their conditioning.

Mossy

This is consistent with a thought by C. S. Lewis, which I can't locate, but I'll paraphrase: our memories make up our soul. So, if you destroy the body, you still have the soul--the memories.

I think I have this thought right. Anyone, please correct me on this.

Also the effects of head trauma suggest that yes it is all in the brain. So you can remove all limbs and some organs and you’d still have memories in your brain.

mujuro

Certainly explains the visions people have of “past lives”.

I wonder if this could be tested somehow. I know some people just feel more “at home” in some places, like the country or the coast or the snow, and it’s just regarded as personal preference.

Last edited:

Waynish

I posted a study recently that suggested memories are NOT stored in the brain but are rather somehow capable of being reproduced by chemical messengers (RNA) synthesized by other cells of the organism. And if those RNA messenger molecules are transferred to another organism, so is the "memory" of the original organism.

That study above did not completely eliminate the possibility that memories could be somehow stored in the brain because the brain could be the source of those RNA memory-carrying molecules. However, the study below performed an experiment that I think shows definitively that memories (and possibly personalities) are not stored (exclusively) in the brain. The scientists decapitated flatworms, and let them regrow their heads back (which flatworms can do). Once their heads grew back, the flatworms seemed to remember everything they had learned before the decapitation. As the scientists say, it may be time for neuroscience to start looking beyond the brain as the seat of what makes us "us", including our memories, personalities, and maybe even the source of primordial consciousness. Also, I think these results are consistent with the "brain as an antenna" idea (ala Sheldrake's work), which the proponents of the Electric Universe Theory (EUT) endorse. Incidentally, Luc Montagnier (co-discoverer or HIV) also published a few papers on the idea of DNA being an antenna (hence the coiled shape) and cells using EMF to communicate with each other, and transmit information this way capable of remote "genetic imprinting".
And finally, some food for thought. What would happen to a person who gets periodic blood transfusions from another person, to mimic the memory/personality transfer as per the first study I posted? Would they, over time, become the same person as the blood donor? Or maybe become capable of "telepathy" with that person as Peat suggested? Or, if the human "soul" is really a vortex in the neutrino sea (as Peat also suggested), then if one of these "entangled" people "dies" then the other one would be able to still communicate with them? This phenomenon has been reported extensively in twins, who share identical DNA/RNA and would likely have access to the same subset of the "ethereal" plane (neutrino sea) I mentioned in another post.

An automated training paradigm reveals long-term memory in planaria and its persistence through head regeneration
https://blog.nationalgeographic.org/2013/07/16/decapitated-worms-regrow-heads-keep-old-memories/

"...After the team verified that the worms had memorized where to find food, they chopped off the worms’ heads and let them regrow, which took two weeks. Then the team showed the worms with the regrown heads where to find food, essentially a refresher course of their light training before decapitation. Subsequent experiments showed that the worms remembered where the light spot was, that it was safe, and that food could be found there. The worms’ memories were just as accurate as those worms who had never lost their heads."

"...The obvious question remains: How can a worm remember things after losing its head? “We have no idea,” Levin admitted. “What we do know is that memory can be stored outside the brain—presumably in other body cells—so that [memories] can get imprinted onto the new brain as it regenerates.” Researchers have long confined their investigations of memory and learning to the brain, Levin said, but these results may encourage them to look elsewhere."

How do we know what the flatworms learned was stored in the brain? What if it was mostly "muscle memory-like," for example? With a brain the size of a flatworm, why wouldn't it at least have as much memory stored as the rest of its body?

Regina

If you got a transplant from, I don't know, a violent criminal? How could you "exorcise" the warped memories grafted onto you?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
How do we know what the flatworms learned was stored in the brain? What if it was mostly "muscle memory-like," for example? With a brain the size of a flatworm, why wouldn't it at least have as much memory stored as the rest of its body?

That was not muscle memory. They taught the worms to go through a maze to find food. A task considered requiring higher cognitive skills, currently thought to be located in the brain.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
If you got a transplant from, I don't know, a violent criminal? How could you "exorcise" the warped memories grafted onto you?

We talked about this in the other memory thread. There is even a horror movie from the early 1990s - a serial killer is executed and his parts, including head are transplanted into others. All recipients turn violent like the donor.
I don't know if that would happen as far as serial killing is concerned, but it is well documented that transplant recipients have personality changes and acquire some features of the donor.

Regina

We talked about this in the other memory thread. There is even a horror movie from the early 1990s - a serial killer is executed and his parts, including head are transplanted into others. All recipients turn violent like the donor.
I don't know if that would happen as far as serial killing is concerned, but it is well documented that transplant recipients have personality changes and acquire some features of the donor.
Ahh, like Abby Normal.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Kykeon

i always find it interesting when a decapitated animal or a animal that is getting slaughtered is still running. i dont think the "brain" can direct this anymore, and the animals are clearly not only having random nerve spasms, but they are "running", even more coordinated than a dog "runs" when he dreams.
there is was also a rooster that lived quite long without a head. Mike the Headless Chicken - Wikipedia
The case of the man who lost most of his brain yet lived a rather "normal" life is also intriguing.
Brain of a white collar worker