Euphoria after separating food & liquids.

SamYo123

A meal can take up to 5 hours before leaving your stomach completely. Waiting 1 hour likely would have no effect as much of the food would still be in there. What might make a difference is the temperature of the liquid consumed with the food. Drinking a cold liquid with a starchy meal would modify the starch making it less digestible. If I remember correctly the Chinese have been saying for a very long time that drinking hot liquids with food improves digestion while cold liquid hinders good digestion.
what about in summer then when cold liquids are preferred?

T

tca300

what about in summer then when cold liquids are preferred?
I dont know. It just doesn't seem logical to assume waiting only 1 hour after you've finished a meal before consuming a liquid equals separation when the food is still in the stomach.

A meal can take up to 5 hours before leaving your stomach completely. Waiting 1 hour likely would have no effect as much of the food would still be in there. What might make a difference is the temperature of the liquid consumed with the food. Drinking a cold liquid with a starchy meal would modify the starch making it less digestible. If I remember correctly the Chinese have been saying for a very long time that drinking hot liquids with food improves digestion while cold liquid hinders good digestion.

Sounds right to me! Sipping liquids with a meal is more productive than guzzling too. Oh man I use to drink a couple of glasses of milk with my dinner through my 20's and 30's and would regularly get the worst stomach aches! I never have stomach aches now.

OP
D
30 minutes sounds like a sensible time. I don't think there is a need to go a full hour before eating.

I wouldn't deem it impossible. For what it's worth, after the first day of trying this, I woke up with zero morning breath or white coating on the tongue, both of which are usually present. I had not even brushed my teeth and had drank four beers before going to the bed. Definitely going to be experimenting further with this.
30 minutes sounds like a sensible time. I don't think there is a need to go a full hour before eating.

I wouldn't deem it impossible. For what it's worth, after the first day of trying this, I woke up with zero morning breath or white coating on the tongue, both of which are usually present. I had not even brushed my teeth and had drank four beers before going to the bed. Definitely going to be experimenting further with this.
Do you use mouth tape when you sleep? That kills morning breath for me.

OP
D
I've been doing this for a long time, along with eating everything separately/good combining (especially avoiding starch-meat combinations) has alleviated a lot of issues

I started off with severe digestive problems and this is what i've arrived at to minimise bloating and pain

1. drinking most of my liquids in the morning, I drink this slowly, taking small sips
• 1 litre of coconut water
• 500 ml of vegetable juice (predominantly cucumber)
• as much warm water as I desire

waiting half an hour

2. having a meal of fruits
I almost always go for a mono meal, and if combined I avoid combination of juicy and starchy fruits like orange+pear/banana

wait 40-50 minutes
3. meal of well cooked white sweet potatoes, chewing everything thoroughly, making sure to salivate

4. another meal of sweet potatoes

wait 3 or more hours until I have my animal protein for the day

5. meat and fat meal with some lemon juice, salt, olive oil

ideally, 10 hours of fasting until my morning water

Im still tinkering through as it might be best to have the meat at noon when stomach acid is strongest yet the influx of fat in the bloodstream may cause blood sugar issues with the carbs that are to be eaten later in the day, and this regiment has not been very good for my liver glycogen/sleep. Stomach is flat though and it's the least problematic for digestion
Yeah I’d definitely add some carbs close to bedtime to fix the sleep issue. I personally keep my starch for my last meal and then I’ll either have a glass of milk with sugar & salt an hour before bed or I also like sipping on warm chamomile tea with sugar and taurine. I sleep pretty good for the most part.

OP
D
I use that same strategy and don't get the bloat I use to get having milk or other liquids with meals. I keep solids seperated from liquds and my digesting is better than ever because of it.
Hey If it works, it works, right. I’m getting tested for H.Pylori next week. I’m kinda hoping I test positive so i can fix it and hopefully not be so fussy with food. I’m definitely sticking with this separation tactic for now tho. I’ve spent loads on high end probiotic protocols that haven’t done anything this good.

OP
D
I usually have a coffee straight after lunch and there was definitely bloating after it. But maybe I’d done some damage earlier in the morning by mixing food with cold fluids. Definitely something to explore.

T

tca300

I usually have a coffee straight after lunch and there was definitely bloating after it. But maybe I’d done some damage earlier in the morning by mixing food with cold fluids. Definitely something to explore.
Coffee itself gives me bloating and gas. That seed water can be tricky.

TheSir

Saying that separating foods and liquids by one hour is 'unlikely to have an effect' only because some of the food may linger around in the stomach for more than one hour sounds unreasonable. It's not like the whole serving will remain in the stomach for 5 hours and then progress forward as one unit. Rather, any amount of the solid food that manages to enter the SI before the liquid hits the stomach is a step forward to a better digestion. Furthermore, the food would have to be extremely indigestible to begin with in order to cause such latency in digestion. As such, I'm wondering how relevant that concern could be to us Peatarians who favor easily digestible foods.
Do you use mouth tape when you sleep? That kills morning breath for me.
It does help for a specific type of morning breath, but there is also another kind that is internally generated.

Hey If it works, it works, right. I’m getting tested for H.Pylori next week. I’m kinda hoping I test positive so i can fix it and hopefully not be so fussy with food. I’m definitely sticking with this separation tactic for now tho. I’ve spent loads on high end probiotic protocols that haven’t done anything this good.
I use to take expensive probiotics, for 20+ years too, but gave them up several years ago. Less is more for me nowadays, and I am bounding with energy! I will be interested to see where you get with this a week or months down the road!

ursidae

Eating meat on the last meal of the day, especially without a sufficient amount of carbs, will most definitely lead to a poor glycogen-depleted sleep for me. I'm sure that you will find reserving the last meal of the day for starches much more conducive to a good night of sleep. I personally get the best sleep when I eat a small bowl of rice just before the bed. Just enough to supply you with some glucose without turning your digestion on so much that your sleep quality will suffer.
yeah I figured that out, but meat takes quite a while to digest. I either need to pair my meat with honey instead of fat which means going very low fat or to have the meat as early as 10 AM to be able to start eating other foods around 7-8. it's very satiating, takes a while to digest.
I drank nothing but juice and coconut water this morning and decided to move my meat meal to 3 PM today and did a little experiment with a niacin tablet, i took it near the end of the meat meal and it took more than six hours for me to get the niacin flush which I presume is the time it took for the meal to finally reach my small intestine. And 7 hours later I still don't feel ready to eat anything else. Though to be fair this was a pretty large portion of the hardest to digest meat (beef)

Last edited:

TheSir

yeah I figured that out, but meat takes quite a while to digest. I either need to pair my meat with honey instead of fat which means going very low fat or to have the meat as early as 10 AM to be able to start eating other foods around 7-8. it's very satiating, takes a while to digest.
I drank nothing but juice and coconut water this morning and decided to move my meat meal to 3 PM today and did a little experiment with a niacin tablet, i took it near the end of the meat meal and it took more than six hours for me to get the niacin flush which I presume is the time it took for the meal to finally reach my small intestine. And 7 hours later I still don't feel ready to eat anything else. Though to be fair this was a pretty large portion of the hardest to digest meat (beef)
Ah, that's clever. I'm surprised that it took so long for the flush to occur. Another possibility could be that the tablet sank somewhere into the meal and then took a while to get uncovered and absorbed by the SI.

T

tca300

Saying that separating foods and liquids by one hour is 'unlikely to have an effect' only because some of the food may linger around in the stomach for more than one hour sounds unreasonable.
When considering a complex meal containing all 3 macronutrients, not some, but most of the food will absolutely still be in the stomach after only one hour. Waiting at least 2.5 hours would be significantly better in my opinion as in 1 hardly anything will have left yet.
Screenshot_20220221-142149_Chrome.jpg

SamYo123

When considering a complex meal containing all 3 macronutrients, not some, but most of the food will absolutely still be in the stomach after only one hour. Waiting at least 2.5 hours would be significantly better in my opinion as in 1 hardly anything will have left yet.View attachment 33854
Imagine people trying to drink their 2l of milk or 2l of Oj with this method?

TheSir

When considering a complex meal containing all 3 macronutrients, not some, but most of the food will absolutely still be in the stomach after only one hour. Waiting at least 2.5 hours would be significantly better in my opinion as in 1 hardly anything will have left yet.View attachment 33854
What is the Y axis representing?

T

tca300

@TheSir. Percentage of food in the stomach and colon that was labeled and tracked as it went through the body,

T

tca300

The seperating of food and liquids and waitings an hour or 2 before u can drink
Most peaty foods are already mostly water, and someone wouldn't need to drink more liquid with juice or milk. I think eating freshly cooked warm starch while also drinking cold liquid with it is likely to cause a decent amount of that starch to become less digestible as exposing cooked starch to cold has that effect.

Back
Top Bottom