Eugenol

Discussion in 'Supplements' started by postman, Feb 13, 2020.

1. postman

postman Member

I couldn't find a thread about this chemical which was a bit surprising to me.

Is this really a good thing to take? My body seems to reject it. Doing a cursory search on it there are articles about it being genotoxic, livertoxic, and it acting as a MAO-A inhibitor.

What are your experiences with it and what have you read about it, good or bad?

2. sun-maid

sun-maid Member

The only bad thing I found about it, is that in a 1993 report, a 2 year old nearly died from ingesting 5ml to 10ml of eugenol. I think it is hepatotoxic in high dose.
    I wonder how much eugenol is in a bottle of idealabs ? @haidut

3. schultz

schultz Member

I don't know much about it, but recognize it as one of the chemicals in cloves. It is also in a benzocaine product that I have which I use occasionally on painful wounds (I get cut and bludgeoned semi-frequently as I am in the trades).

I would like to know more about it myself as I realized a few days ago that it is now used in at least 1 of Haidut's supplements.

4. Inaut

Inaut Member

I use clove oil topically to aid in oil absorption. Georgi has also mentioned its androgenic. Camphor and clove oil/eugenol are the main EOs I use topically

5. sun-maid

sun-maid Member

What about ingesting it ? My bottle of Tyromix has eugenol in it..

6. Inaut

Inaut Member

I think there’s situations where it’s ok to ingest it but I think too much can be a bad thing.... If you are very sick with a virus/flu I think it’s warranted but I think eugenol can be toxic.... That’s why i prefer topical