EU bans titanium dioxide as food addictive due to genotoxicity

Prof Maged Younes, Chair of EFSA’s expert Panel on Food Additives and Flavourings (FAF), said: “Taking into account all available scientific studies and data, the Panel concluded that titanium dioxide can no longer be considered safe as a food additive. A critical element in reaching this conclusion is that we could not exclude genotoxicity concerns after consumption of titanium dioxide particles. After oral ingestion, the absorption of titanium dioxide particles is low, however they can accumulate in the body”.

Explorer

Now that I remember some supplements I have taken had it, if you do not get it anymore will over time it get detoxified or some of it could stay in your body permanently and if so are there any specific things that can help detoxifying it and other particles that might be stuck somewhere in your body?

P

Peatness

It's such a common ingredient in medications and supplements. I hope they ban it in those too. This is welcome news.

Ben.

I wonder if the manufacturerers substitute it with something else that is bad ...

P

Peatness

Silicon dioxide
That is pretty crap too. However, they have different functions in supplements/medicines. Titanium dioxide is use to make tablets whiter, silicon dioxide is a flow agent. You wouldn't substitute one for the other. Your point is value still, they will find something else. When they do I bet it wont be harmless.

That is pretty crap too. However, they have different functions in supplements/medicines. Titanium dioxide is use to make tablets whiter, silicon dioxide is a flow agent. You wouldn't substitute one for the other. Your point is value still, they will find something else. When they do I bet it wont be harmless.
I see. I thought titanium dioxide also contributed to the anti- caking effect, but I was mistaken then. Thanks for the correction, Pina.

iso1

few days ago ordered wellman multivitamins for skin... Just checked it has titanium dioxide. FACK. Dump it or not to dump ?

P

Peatness

Just had depressing thought. UK has left the EU. This ban may not apply here.

TomS

I am happy. I created an excel sheet for all products I buy at wholesale and added an extra column for ingredients.
From Swanson I buy only products, where only rice powder or gelatine are added. They have same. :--)
Here in Germany it is not difficult to obtain good quality poducts at reasonable prices.
Cholesterin (95-102%, USP) 5 gr = 15,99 Euro (13.30 USD)
I do not find specification, what is 95-102%, however, Monday I ask them.

OP
H
Silicon dioxide

EU has reviewed silicon dioxide but has not found same genotoxity issues but advises The Panel concluded that the EU specifications are insufficient to adequately characterise the food additive E 551. Clear characterisation of particle size distribution is required. Based on the available database, there was no indication for toxicity of E 551 at the reported uses and use levels. Because of the limitations in the available database, the Panel was unable to confirm the current ADI ‘not specified’. The Panel recommended some modifications of the EU specifications for E 551.

P

Peatness

If you can forgive the sensational journalism here the message is important – ‘harmless’ fillers are not so harmless.

"All eight of the diabetic pancreases contained crystallised particles of titanium dioxide, but none of the non-diabetic ones did."

Back
Top Bottom