Estrogenic Effects Of Soybeans Vs. Other Legumes

FredSonoma

Hi everyone,

Are Soybeans, in particular, worse than other legumes? (From an estrogenic standpoint). I'm Asian and tofu is such a big part of our diet - (and the diets of our really healthy ancestors) other than a raw carrot salad and the other Ray Peat guidelines is there anything I can do to counteract this? Should I try eating other legumes instead? (chickpea tofu is a thing lol)

Thanks,
Fred

jyb

The Wikipedia page on phytoestrogens cites a ranking with legumes and soy, then Pubmed search with keywords "estrogenic activity" and soy or tofu returns more articles. You'd still have to check whether traditional tofu has the same effect.

Peat's view is that all legumes are best avoided. If you enjoy them and you don't have any health problems then eat them. When asked what his number one recommendation would be in one of the audio interviews, Peat said "Don't eat oils." Many asians are now getting all of the western diseases because they are eating tons and tons of oil:

Mayonaise, all salad dressings (the first ingredient in salad dressing and mayo is pure oil), margarine all snack foods and potato chips (but it's not the potatoes that are the problem, its the oil they are cooked in same thing with "fried" rice, its the oil, not the rice), baked goods like donuts, pastries, and cakes have huge amounts of PUFA, restaurant food, fried food, pizza dough is made with oil, soups from restaurants are made with lots of oil (and homemade soups too, by people who think oil is good for them), supplements like fish oil, evening primrose oil, flax oil etc.

Popular Japanese PUFA:

29m60pj.jpg

Mittir

I think RP is strongly against both soy and legumes. He cites a study where animal were
having miscarriage from eating clover, part of legume family.

Based on the report Dan Wich posted tofu has 40 percent less phyroestrogen
than regular soy bean. But, there is still a ton of phytoestrogen in tofu.

In Ayurveda beans and legumes are not recommended in anti-ama diet except
for well cooked split yellow mung beans. Soaking over night removes a lot of
problematic compounds in all kind of beans and grains. In traditional dosa making, rice and
beans are soaked for about 2 days. Similar things are done in nixtamalization of corn.
I did some reading on mung beans. I do not exactly remember but
I think there are some problematic things in mung, probably high iron and phosphorus too.
But ,i think it is way better than soy.

Aflatoxin is a serious problem in a lot of grains and beans. In selecting seeds it is important
to check if that seed is known to contain this toxin. Peanuts are famous for having a lot of
aflatoxin.

As westside mentioned that having a low PUFA diet make people strong enough to
tolerate a lot of not so healthy foods. RP cites a study that found PUFA intake below
4 gram is protective against cancer, French has PUFA intake around 3% of total energy,
one of the lowest in developed countries and USA and Japan has about 7-8 %.
Okinawan in 50s had 4.5 grams of PUFA intake.