Estrogen Restores Skin Thickness

An increase in epidermal thickness in human female skin following six months of oral estrogen administration has been reported with an increase in keratinocyte volume and more defined rete ridges. A study of elderly males and females has confirmed that administration of topical estrogen increases keratinocyte proliferation and epidermal thickness after only two weeks. In estrogen deficient women skin thickness is reduced by 1.13%

Estrogens and aging skin

smith

How can I get that without the toxic effects of estrogen on everything else

OP
2thecloudsabove
I think DHEA also does that, without toxic effects that estrogen has.

Its not one or the other. Both have their role at keeping a nice skin. Estrogen is not the movie's bad guy unless out of control, just like any other hormone. Balance is the key. The evidence is clear, women at menopause restores skin looks taking estrogen. That doesn't mean dhea or progesterone have their benefits too, and the ideal is for all of them to be balanced; but its not like "one can replace the other".

smith

Its not one or the other. Both have their role at keeping a nice skin. Estrogen is not the movie's bad guy unless out of control, just like any other hormone. Balance is the key. The evidence is clear, women at menopause restores skin looks taking estrogen. That doesn't mean dhea or progesterone have their benefits too, and the ideal is for all of them to be balanced; but its not like "one can replace the other".
I suspected something like this earlier. Question is how to have healthy levels. Not sure what hormones affect what exactly but I'm kinda done with the whole body-hair and thin skin thing

ladyhawke

I think this is not necessarily healthy growth. It seems all of the stress hormones can temporarily create the illusion of health. Cancer is a growth but is not healthy (estrogen involved here too)!

A quote from Ray Peat's article 'Blocking Tissue Destruction';

"Vitamin A's effect on the skin opposes that of estrogen.4...vitamin A is necessary for proper the differentiation In the skin and other membranes. A deficiency tends to cause an increased rate of cell division, with the production of abnormal cells, and a substitution of keratinised cells for other types. Estrogen also promotes keratinization and speeds cell division. A deficiency of vitamin A can also produce leukoplakia in the mouth and on the cervix of the uterus; although this is considered 'pre-cancerous', I have found it to be very easily reversible as I have discussed elsewhere.6. I suspect that the intracellular fiber, keratin, is produced when the cell can't afforded to do anything more complex. Adequate vitamin A speeds protein synthesis,7 and allows it to be used more efficiently."

The condition keritosis pilaris is a good example of estrogen related skin based growth which is unhealthy. Excess keratin is possibly produced because estrogen is a factor in limited energy for differentiation of cells. The skin is thicker but also painful, rough and bumpy.

shepherdgirl

One more quote from Ray to back up the great post by @ladyhawke :
Estrogen, by creating an oxygen deficiency, stimulates first swelling, and then collagen synthesis. Collagen tends to accumulate with aging.
from "Aging, estrogen, and progesterone"

dreamcatcher

An increase in epidermal thickness in human female skin following six months of oral estrogen administration has been reported with an increase in keratinocyte volume and more defined rete ridges. A study of elderly males and females has confirmed that administration of topical estrogen increases keratinocyte proliferation and epidermal thickness after only two weeks. In estrogen deficient women skin thickness is reduced by 1.13%

Estrogens and aging skin

Oestrogen skin treatment

lampofred

Because it increases water retention in the skin

Not cause it actually thickens the skin in a healthy way

According to Peat

Last edited: