Estrogen, Not Androgens, May Be The Cause Of Baldness

haidut

Forum Supporter
A quick post about a study calling into question yet another dogma in medicine - i.e. that the "evil" androgens (especially DHT) are the causes of men losing their hair and getting prostate cancer. So, the "solution" modern medicine proposes is "chemical castration" with drugs like finasteride, dutasteride, flutamide, bicalutamide, etc that render men impotent, demented, and overall very far from being...men, let alone healthy ones. I have studies in the works attempting to debunk one of those myths - DHT as a cause of prostate cancer - but the study below is already pointing at another part of the myth about DHT being false. It demonstrates that estrogen, and not androgens, cause hair loss in males and administration of estrogen "receptor" antagonists restores hair back to normal levels. The estrogen receptor antagonist used in the studies below was the breast-cancer drug Fulvestrant (ICI-182780) and just twice weekly topical application was enough to restore hair growth to control levels. After 12 weeks of treatment ALL bald mice had hair-growth restored to control levels. Progesterone is the main endogenous estrogen antagonist and works similarly to Fulvestrant. Other estrogen antagonists such as (gasp!) DHT and even aromatase inhibitors such as exemestane may also work. What about the dose? Well, the study used 10 nMol Fulvestrant dissolved in 200uL of acetone, and applied that dosage topically, only twice weekly, to treat an area of 10 cm^2. Since progesterone has roughly the same affinity/antagonism for the estrogen receptor as Fulvestrant, the HED of progesterone to replicate the design of this study would be about 10mcg/kg bodyweight for every 10 cm^2 of balding area. This means a man weighing 100kg would need to apply roughly 1mg of progesterone for every 10 cm^2 of balding area. Applying even higher amount or more often, if there is no response within 3-4 weeks, should be fine as progesterone is not known to inhibit hair growth even in massive doses. As a side note, if androgenic antagonists of the estrogen receptor (e.g. DHT, Masteron, exemestane, etc) are used then just to stay on the safe side, I would not use more than 1mg for every 10 cm^2, and would stick to the twice weekly regimen.

Perhaps the most promising finding of the research is not so much about possible hair-loss treatments but the connection between estrogen and skin cancer. In fact, the lead author of the studies below stated that the same estrogen blocker used to restore growth may also be useful as skin cancer treatment/prevention. Oh well, it seems medicine is not entirely a lost cause and is slowly getting back on the right track :):

https://repository.lib.ncsu.edu/handle/1840.16/5314
https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/82416775.pdf
HAIR-RAISING TEST - ESTROGEN LINKED TO BALDNESS

"...Dr. Robert Smart and graduate assistant Hye-Sun Oh were studying the pesticide's impact when they found that the shaved skin of mice grew hair when treated with an estrogen blocker."Estrogen was playing some fundamental role in skin biology," Smart said. The discovery by the North Carolina State University researchers was published in Tuesday's edition of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. The discovery is being tested for possible application in humans, but any commercial use could be five years away, Smart said. Smart said the studies also provided insights into skin cancer, but a scientist who wasn't involved in the research said it was too soon to suggest the data may lead to cures for either condition....Smart said the estrogen blocker acts as a switch to turn on hair growth in the lab mice. He said research to determine if the same switch exists in humans is underway at Wake Forest University's Bowman-Gray School of Medicine."

Baldness gets thin explanation Hair: Researchers agree on how hair grows but have yet to discover the definitive reason for male-patterned baldness.

"..."...The latest debate erupted last year when Dr. Robert Smart, a researcher at North Carolina State University, reported that the female hormone estrogen harmed hair follicle growth, and hence played a role in baldness. Published in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, Smart's research entailed clipping off the hair of three groups of mice. One group then was coated with a chemical that arrested hair growth for a prolonged period. Two control groups received chemicals that had a minimal effect. When Smart treated the denuded skin of the first group with an estrogen-blocking drug, their hair follicles responded. Within 10 weeks, the mice produced coats so thick they were indistinguishable from untreated mice. Smart says the estrogen blocker prevented normal estrogen stimulation and hair growth was the result."

Estradiol

As a long term AI user (Letrozole/Exemestane/Proviron) I have seen lots of benefits. But there is no single example of regrowing hair with estrogen antagonists in the real world.

I agree with you adrenal hyperactivity causes hair loss. I think we should head for adrenal androgens.

Yes estrogens stimulates adrenal androgens but apparently blocking estrogen alone does not results in regrowth.

I know that you are super anti-estrogen. But you should look into ethinylestradiol. At least try to understand what is really going on.

Bald Guy Regrows Hair With Birth Control Pills

Effects of Gonadal Androgens and Oestrogens on Adrenal Androgen Levels - PubMed

This synthetic estrogen does nothing besides inhibiting adrenal androgens by 27-48%.

And if you combine it with cyproterone acetate it apparently fixes 'androgenic' problems like hair loss, hirsutism, acne etc.

Interesting Facts About Cyproterone (Hair Loss)

Cyproterone acetate is a powerful adrenal-suppressant. Lowers cortisol, aldosterone, renin etc.

It also acts like anti-estrogen. By decreasing estrone, estradiol levels.

Murtaza

As a long term AI user (Letrozole/Exemestane/Proviron) I have seen lots of benefits. But there is no single example of regrowing hair with estrogen antagonists in the real world.

I agree with you adrenal hyperactivity causes hair loss. I think we should head for adrenal androgens.

Yes estrogens stimulates adrenal androgens but apparently blocking estrogen alone does not results in regrowth.

I know that you are super anti-estrogen. But you should look into ethinylestradiol. At least try to understand what is really going on.

This synthetic estrogen does nothing besides inhibiting adrenal androgens by 27-48%.

And if you combine it with cyproterone acetate it apparently fixes 'androgenic' problems like hair loss, hirsutism, acne etc.

Cyproterone acetate is a powerful adrenal-suppressant. Lowers cortisol, aldosterone, renin etc.

blood and scalp levels of estrogen differ or so i understand from this study. haidut also talked about this in one of his recent chats with danny. so taking an aromastase inhibitor maybe beneficial systemically, but youd have to use some kind of an AI on scalp too for hair purposes. @haidut can tocovit be applied to scalp for this purpose?

ddjd

isn't hair loss one of the common symptoms of women taking AIs?

ddjd

no AI is specific to aromatase. they all end up lowering progesterone, dhea, test etc
i thought by lowering/blocking estrogen it tends to boost testosterone even further. Im sure i read about people saying they took androsterone and had big testosterone boosts due to the aromatase blocking action

Estradiol

i thought by lowering/blocking estrogen it tends to boost testosterone even further. Im sure i read about people saying they took androsterone and had big testosterone boosts due to the aromatase blocking action

That's what they do. He is just talking randomly.

b555

As a side note, if androgenic antagonists of the estrogen receptor (e.g. DHT, Masteron, exemestane, etc) are used then just to stay on the safe side, I would not use more than 1mg for every 10 cm^2, and would stick to the twice weekly regimen.

how much masteron in mg per week does this equate to

is the best way to determine estrogen is by the Estradiol Ultra-sensitive test?

Last edited:

Risingfire

That guy also grew t*ts

Murtaza

i should have been clearer, i meant all synthetic AI's have this effect. Androsterone is an endogenous hormone so im sure its devoid of those effects

mrchibbs

Progesterone is an aromatase inhibitor.

Yes, possibly the best (?) endogenous anti-estrogenic agent in the body. And is a very potent anti-fibrotic substance too, as Hans Selye showed in the 1950s.

mrchibbs

Hair loss is also a symptom of pcos

Indeed. MPB and PCOS are probably the same thing. Stress-induced hypothyroidism causing insufficient of gonadal production of steroids. Characterized in both sexes with the canonical symptoms of "Androgenetic Alopecia" (women with PCOS have the horseshoe shape too), acne and hirsutism (caused by the adrenal hyperactivity). It gets more complicated and serotonin, prolactin etc. are involved (cypro can resolve the hirsutism of PCOS), but that's the gist of it I think.

b555

Anecdotals that hairloss is caused by dhts like masteron seem to be high on the BB forums, why?

Murtaza

Anecdotals that hairloss is caused by dhts like masteron seem to be high on the BB forums, why?
no one ever takes masteron on its own. they always add a few more compounds in doses of 100mg+ everyday. most of these compounds are very easily aromatized.

b555

no one ever takes masteron on its own. they always add a few more compounds in doses of 100mg+ everyday. most of these compounds are very easily aromatized.
So you believe dhts only wouldn’t cause hair loss?

JKX

I think it might be liver related in most bb's? Taking high amounts of down stream steriods is never going to end well and T seems to be abused. They also tend to abuse AI's which are super hard on the liver. I have a friend who is 'juiced'. His eyes always have a reddish tinge to them.

Preg, prog and dhea seem to have had the opposite effect on my own eyes. They are clear, white and shiny. I take this as a sign of liver health improvement. Its either the catatoxic effect of these steroids or their effect of endotoxin I think.

b555

I think it might be liver related in most bb's? Taking high amounts of down stream steriods is never going to end well and T seems to be abused. They also tend to abuse AI's which are super hard on the liver. I have a friend who is 'juiced'. His eyes always have a reddish tinge to them.

Preg, prog and dhea seem to have had the opposite effect on my own eyes. They are clear, white and shiny. I take this as a sign of liver health improvement. Its either the catatoxic effect of these steroids or their effect of endotoxin I think.

I agree. The dosages are often abused. Testosterone especially abused. Thats why orals are best avoided.