Estrogen May NOT Close Epiphyseal Plates, Merely Speed Up Their Lifespan

Discussion in 'Scientific Studies' started by AretnaP, Mar 14, 2018.

1. AretnaP

AretnaP Member

Human height may be more genetic than once assumed.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC34445/

2. lvysaur

lvysaur Member

I don't see how that implies that height is more genetic than previously thought.

3. OP
    AretnaP

AretnaP Member

Because this means that estrogen doesn't really make you stop growing, but only makes you reach your "programmed" height faster.

4. smith

smith Member

How do we selectively open them at some points and not at others?

5. belcanto

belcanto Member

I'm with you on this - I have an enzyme deficiency that causes me not to make enough pregnenolone -> so not enough progesterone -> so essentially estrogen dominant without taking any extra estrogen! People with my condition are taller as children, but then are shorter as adults, as happened to me. :pensive: (I never even knew the connection between the enzyme deficiency and the estrogen dominance until I heard Haidut talking to Danny Roddy about how this enzyme deficiency also causes a pregnenolone deficiency. So thanks to Charlie for this forum and Haidut for his knowledge, I take pregnenolone now and it's helping [not with height, that ship has sailed!].)

6. GreekDemiGod

GreekDemiGod Member

@belcanto Wouldn't it be a dream if we could re-initiate growth / puberty again? It would be the philosopher's stone.

7. lvysaur

lvysaur Member

Do you know what the enzyme condition is called?

8. Mark21

Mark21 Member

If estrogen shortens the lifespans of the plates, then the anabolic hormones will have less time to produce growth. Thats the mechanism by which estrogen stunts development. The study isn't contending with that, its a refinement on how that happens.