Estrogen (estradiol) Promotes Autoimmunity

haidut

Forum Supporter
If there is any doubt in anybody's mind about the role of estrogen as a cause of autoimmune conditions I hope that his will clarify the situation some more. The excerpt below is from the study on adrenals and Alzheimers I posted today but I thought that this excerpt deserves its own thread given that it points the finger straight at estrogen (estradiol). This single quote summarizes the connection between estrogen (estradiol), autoimmunity, immunodeficiency, neurological conditions and aging - a connection that many people have accused Peat of largely speculating on without much evidence.

https://raypeatforum.com/community/...ed-adrenals-higher-cortisol-and-estrone.9408/

"...Moreover, estradiol stimulates autoimmunity via estrogen receptors a (ERa) and b (ERb) [96,97,143]. As the process of aging is associated with increased inflammation at concomitant immunodeficiency and autoimmunity status (autoimmunity plays an important role in the pathophysiology of AD [144]), the reduced aromatase activity may be favorable for the patients."

And here is Peat's original work written probably a good 10 years before these studies above were published.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/immunodeficiency.shtml

"...Aging is characterized by loss of lean body mass, immunodeficiency, and a variety of autoimmune reactions. My perennial argument has been that decreased thyroid and progesterone, associated with increased estrogen and stress hormones, are largely responsible for those changes. The huge investment in AIDS research has found that these occur in AIDS, but, because of the medical pharmaceutical culture which has created myths about these hormones, no one is yet interpreting the hormone imbalances in ways that would reveal their responsibility for the symptoms. While the institutionalized theory claims that the HIV virus is responsible for the syndrome, the hormones are reduced to epiphenomena."

So, for the people wondering what can mitigate these effects of estrogen - progesterone, vitamin E, vitamin K, vitamin A, emodin, beta lapachone and biotin are some of the substances that bind directly as antagonists at those estrogen "receptors" alpha and beta. Aspirin and the aromatase inhibitors can also help as will the avoidance of PUFA.

DaveFoster

So, for the people wondering what can mitigate these effects of estrogen - emodin and beta lapachone
Any dosage recommendations for these two?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Peata

So, for the people wondering what can mitigate these effects of estrogen - progesterone, vitamin E, vitamin K, vitamin A, emodin, beta lapachone and biotin are some of the substances that bind directly as antagonists at those estrogen "receptors" alpha and beta.

What about the dose recommended for biotin?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
What about the dose recommended for biotin?

Depends on the context. Very high dose biotin can completely stop estrogen production as per these studies:
The effect of an acute dose of biotin at a post-implantation stage and its relation with female sex steriods in the rat. - PubMed - NCBI
The effect of an acute dose of biotin at the pre-implantation stage and its relation with female sex steroids in the rat. - PubMed - NCBI
"...Similarly biotin and progesterone adversely affected G-6-PD activity in all the organs studied except the liver and adrenal. Estrogen stimulated the enzyme activity in all these organs but adrenal. The study suggests that the primary reason for an acute dose of biotin-induced loss of pregnancy is blockage of estrogen production, which probably regulates endogenous progesterone secretion. The associated metabolic derangements are probably secondary to estrogen deficiency and are discussed."

The dose used in those studies would be above 1g for humans. However, the human study with MS (which is an estrogen-caused and -driven disease) found that doses as high as 600mg+ did not work better than 300mg.
Biotin as a treatment for multiple sclerosis (MS) | Ray Peat Forum
So, 300mg may be needed for very bad cases of estrogen excess but I think most people can benefit from as "little" as 15mg combined with other estrogen antagonists like vitamins A, E, K, and aspirin, glycine, emodin, etc. There are quite a few things that can lower estrogen more reliably than biotin and in lower doses so I'd try those first before high dose biotin. On the flip side, I think biotin has no known toxicity so it may be safer than things like high dose vitamin E, A or aspirin.

Daniil

Hmm, I have ADHD and a very bad reaction to vitamin E. ADHD (like many other mental disorders) is associated with autoimmune reactions due to various infections. Vitamins A and E are well-known immunomodulators and I don't think they should be recommended for any autoimmune problem. Aspirin does not help me even in high doses and may increase hair loss. But about biotin - it's interesting and I think I should try it.