Estrogen Dominance In Men & Hereditry?

domox

I sufferer from estrogen dominance and have done so since a very young age. I have also discovered how to resolve it and balance out my hormones again without medication.

Because my father had all the same symptoms I have suffered from, and he didn't live a very long life, I'm asking if a susceptibility to estrogen dominance can be an inherited problem?

I understand you can slip into having an over-dominant level of estrogen relative to testosterone after a bout of stress. Stress has always affected me more than others.. In my late 20's I started accumulating chest fat like my father did to the point that I look like i have breasts. This and all the other symptoms of estrogen dominance (to the T) have plagued my life. If my cortisol levels rise too high then it can deplete my existing levels of progesterone and thus there is nothing to oppose the estrogen in my body. Same with my father.. So the second part of this question is, could this susceptibility be due to lower than normal Progesterone levels in my body? If not, then what?

Thanks.

tara

:welcome domox

Peat has talked about inheriting the metabolism (I think he was referrring to thyroid function) from the mother by epigenetic means. Not sure if there is likely to be epigenetic inheritance from father. Low thyroid function can contribute to high stress hormones including estrogen. Monitoring body temps and resting heart rate can give an indication of base metabolic rate that you cna check yourself even if you don't have lab tests of thyroid hormones.

Progesterone does oppose estrogen, and men do need some too, though generally much less than women. (There are some threads here discussing men and progesterone supps.)
I think there have been studies showing that men with particularly large fat often have lower than average progesterone levels.

Good that you've found a way to improve your hormone balance.

OP
D

domox

What I'm trying to establish is the link between father and son and what kind of issue can be passed down. Fortunately my thyroid tests come back fine and I can lose weight if I lose the animal proteins and high GL foods. Obviously avoiding large doses of leucine in animal proteins is important here.

High levels of estrogen stimulate the beta cells in your pancreas causing you to release more insulin. More insulin exacerbates the issue. I've battled it my whole life.

As I'm really susceptible to stress, and so was my father, and I have plenty of DHEA, I thinking that there could be something wrong with my levels of progesterone as there seems to be nothing keeping my estrogen levels in check. That's a real issue for the reasons explained. Once it's up, it stays up until I go on the special diet.

So, if my father had this and everything else checks out then there must be something majorly wrong somewhere around the area I suspect. This is why I'm targeting progesterone as it makes the most sense and even if I was producing high levels of estrogen, enough progesterone would balance it out. Under stress everything falls apart because cortisol directly uses up progesterone which could explain my high estrogen levels and my bodie's inability to buffer it.

PakPik

Hi domox,

there's evidence for epigenetic inheritance through male germ line: A paternal environmental legacy: Evidence for epigenetic inheritance through the male germ line

Under stress everything falls apart because cortisol directly uses up progesterone which could explain my high estrogen levels and my bodie's inability to buffer it.
I would also add that during stress adrenaline typically rises and the cell's ability to use sugar is blocked/diminished. Adrenaline and inability to use sugar by the cell blocks progesterone transport/uptake and use according to Dr. Katharina Dalton who specialized in progesterone for women. She advocated keeping stress and adrenaline down, and cell's access to glucose up through diet and lifestyle measures in order to improve progesterone function. I'm not sure that in men it works exactly the same, but I suspect some of that applies to men as well. (More info: Katharina Dalton: The Dietary "musts" For Improving Progesterone (Hint: No Low Carb, No Starvation))