Estrogen Causes Epilepsy/seizures; Aromatase Inhibitors Are Viable Treatment

haidut

Forum Supporter
In perhaps what is one of the most striking and open confirmations of Ray's views, this study finally acknowledges what the man has been saying for years. Estrogen is a major cause (and maybe even THE cause) of epilepsy and its associated seizures, and inhibiting estrogen synthesis may be a viable treatment for the condition and other conditions associated with seizures. The study used aromatase inhibitors (AI) but the Peatrian approach of progesterone, vitamin E, vitamin K, vitamin A, emodin, etc may be a much safer and even more effective method considering that substances like progesterone and vitamin E are BOTH estrogen "receptor" antagonists and aromatase inhibitors. So, taking them provides the effects of a drug combination consisting of say fadrozole / letrozole / anastrozole (AI) and fulvestrant (ER antagonist) without most of the side effects these drugs have. Anti-histamine and anti-cholinergic drugs also block estrogen's effects, so cyproheptadine and/or Benadryl might also be an option.
What is even more interesting is that seizures stimulate estrogen synthesis and establish a positive feedback loop, which is similar to the positive feedback loop observed between estrogen and cortisol.
Finally, the study open discusses the possibility that stress, with its known effects on aromatase and estrogen synthesis, has a primary role in the develoopment and pathology of epilepsy and seizure disorders in general.
Btw, it makes me sick to even think that a current commonly prescribe therapy for seizures is...estrogen in the form of birth control pills.

Acute inhibition of neurosteroid estrogen synthesis suppresses status epilepticus in an animal model

"...Status epilepticus (SE) is a common neurological emergency for which new treatments are needed. In vitro studies suggest a novel approach to controlling seizures in SE: acute inhibition of estrogen synthesis in the brain. Here, we show in rats that systemic administration of an aromatase (estrogen synthase) inhibitor after seizure onset strongly suppresses both electrographic and behavioral seizures induced by kainic acid (KA). We found that KA-induced SE stimulates synthesis of estradiol (E2) in the hippocampus, a brain region commonly involved in seizures and where E2 is known to acutely promote neural activity. Hippocampal E2 levels were higher in rats experiencing more severe seizures. Consistent with a seizure-promoting effect of hippocampal estrogen synthesis, intra-hippocampal aromatase inhibition also suppressed seizures. These results reveal neurosteroid estrogen synthesis as a previously unknown factor in the escalation of seizures and suggest that acute administration of aromatase inhibitors may be an effective treatment for SE."

"...These results reveal neurosteroid estrogen synthesis as a previously unknown factor in the progressive escalation of seizures in an animal model of SE and provide the first in vivo evidence of a functional role for neurosteroid estrogens in the hippocampus. We found that systemic administration of an aromatase inhibitor after the onset of KA seizures strongly suppressed electrographic and behavioral seizure activity, in both sexes, without additional interventions. Microdialysis showed that seizures stimulate de novo synthesis of estrogens in the hippocampus and that animals with more severe seizures began with or reached higher levels of E2 in the hippocampus. Because E2 is known to acutely promote hippocampal neural activity, this suggested that E2 synthesized in the hippocampus might be seizure-promoting. Consistent with this, infusion of an aromatase inhibitor specifically into the hippocampus also suppressed both electrographic and behavioral seizures. These results support the idea of a positive feedback loop between seizure activity and neurosteroid estrogens in which seizures stimulate estrogen synthesis in the brain, which then acutely promotes neural activity, contributing to further seizure activity. Breaking this cycle with aromatase inhibitor therapy may be a novel approach to clinical control of SE."

"...That we detected a range of basal E2 concentrations suggests that factors in addition to seizures may regulate aromatase activity in the hippocampus. For example, studies in the avian brain indicate that stress regulates enzymes involved in E2 metabolism (Soma et al., 2004; Dickens et al., 2011). Given our observation that high basal E2 is associated with more severe seizures in response to KA, understanding how basal E2 levels in the hippocampus are influenced by stress or other experience may have important implications for understanding the role of environmental factors in modulating seizure susceptibility and/or severity."

HDD

Thank you for posting this. A family member recently had a seizure premenstrually. I have sent her progesterone and am putting together information for her. Your timely post will now be included.

PakPik

I'm grateful that you share this info, very important for people suffering from chronic seizures/seizure like disorders. This reminds me of Peat's explanation:

"And the estrogen in a healthy person… when a nerve is stressed, the activation of these enzymes which are normally inactive in a nerve… stress activates the production of a little estrogen which sends out signals to the surrounding cells to cause them to produce pregnenolone, progesterone, allopregnanolone and a whole range of protective nerve steroids...but if you don’t have the energy, you get stuck in producing just the estrogen, which keeps things excited and stressed."Diabetes II And How To Restore And Protect Nerves, KMUD, 2014

The seizure issue also has a mast cell connection, and unsurprisignly, estrogen is a known mast cell activator, whereas progesterone is a stabilizer:
"More importantly, mast cells have been implicated in the pathogenesis of seizures. One study using a mouse model showed that the non-allergic mast cell trigger compound 48/80 significantly increased the rate of seizures in mice induced by electric shock, and this effect was eliminated in mast cell-depleted mice"
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22129087/

"In addition, mast cells are also involved in neuroinflammatory conditions (3). Many such conditions are exacerbated by estrogens (4-7) and/or are associated with a state of progesterone deficiency"
"The biochemical and ultrastructural findings presented indicate that progesterone can inhibit
rat mast cell secretion
. The inhibitory effect of progesterone appears to be unique as it is not apparent with other structurally similar compounds, such as cholesterol. Testosterone also inhibited secretion at similar concentrations, while β-17 estradiol augmented mast cell secretion"
Progesterone inhibits mast cell secretion. - PubMed - NCBI

CoolTweetPete

Hmm, I'm trying to think of this as it relates to ketogenic diets that I've heard are good for epileptics. I have a hard time imagining they are eating mostly saturated fats and strictly avoiding PUFA (estrogenic). From epilepsy.com,

"The ketogenic diet is a special high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet that helps to control seizures in some people with epilepsy. It is prescribed by a physician and carefully monitored by a dietitian. It is stricter than the modified Atkins diet, requiring careful measurements of calories, fluids, and proteins."

Maybe it has to do with the removal of poor carbohydrate sources like grains.

Lilac

My 86-year-old mother had a horrible winter sickness this year, including migraine with hallucinations. A seizure of some kind seemed to be involved. I finally e-mailed Dr. Peat, and he recommended 1/8 teaspoon of progesterone (while also suspecting hypothyroidism). We had been doing the standard dose every 10 minutes. The bigger dose was even more helpful. Also, the progesterone was the only thing that helped that did not produce side effects. I'd like to add that Peat's advice provided more real relief than about 10—yes, 10—different M.D.'s.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

treelady

I've had epilepsy for the last 5 years. I just wanted to add that, in my case anyway, in addition to low progesterone, low thyroid is also involved. So far I'm not cured but T3 has helped.

In perhaps what is one of the most striking and open confirmations of Ray's views, this study finally acknowledges what the man has been saying for years. Estrogen is a major cause (and maybe even THE cause) of epilepsy and its associated seizures, and inhibiting estrogen synthesis may be a viable treatment for the condition and other conditions associated with seizures. The study used aromatase inhibitors (AI) but the Peatrian approach of progesterone, vitamin E, vitamin K, vitamin A, emodin, etc may be a much safer and even more effective method considering that substances like progesterone and vitamin E are BOTH estrogen "receptor" antagonists and aromatase inhibitors. So, taking them provides the effects of a drug combination consisting of say fadrozole / letrozole / anastrozole (AI) and fulvestrant (ER antagonist) without most of the side effects these drugs have. Anti-histamine and anti-cholinergic drugs also block estrogen's effects, so cyproheptadine and/or Benadryl might also be an option.
What is even more interesting is that seizures stimulate estrogen synthesis and establish a positive feedback loop, which is similar to the positive feedback loop observed between estrogen and cortisol.
Finally, the study open discusses the possibility that stress, with its known effects on aromatase and estrogen synthesis, has a primary role in the develoopment and pathology of epilepsy and seizure disorders in general.
Btw, it makes me sick to even think that a current commonly prescribe therapy for seizures is...estrogen in the form of birth control pills.

Acute inhibition of neurosteroid estrogen synthesis suppresses status epilepticus in an animal model

"...Status epilepticus (SE) is a common neurological emergency for which new treatments are needed. In vitro studies suggest a novel approach to controlling seizures in SE: acute inhibition of estrogen synthesis in the brain. Here, we show in rats that systemic administration of an aromatase (estrogen synthase) inhibitor after seizure onset strongly suppresses both electrographic and behavioral seizures induced by kainic acid (KA). We found that KA-induced SE stimulates synthesis of estradiol (E2) in the hippocampus, a brain region commonly involved in seizures and where E2 is known to acutely promote neural activity. Hippocampal E2 levels were higher in rats experiencing more severe seizures. Consistent with a seizure-promoting effect of hippocampal estrogen synthesis, intra-hippocampal aromatase inhibition also suppressed seizures. These results reveal neurosteroid estrogen synthesis as a previously unknown factor in the escalation of seizures and suggest that acute administration of aromatase inhibitors may be an effective treatment for SE."

"...These results reveal neurosteroid estrogen synthesis as a previously unknown factor in the progressive escalation of seizures in an animal model of SE and provide the first in vivo evidence of a functional role for neurosteroid estrogens in the hippocampus. We found that systemic administration of an aromatase inhibitor after the onset of KA seizures strongly suppressed electrographic and behavioral seizure activity, in both sexes, without additional interventions. Microdialysis showed that seizures stimulate de novo synthesis of estrogens in the hippocampus and that animals with more severe seizures began with or reached higher levels of E2 in the hippocampus. Because E2 is known to acutely promote hippocampal neural activity, this suggested that E2 synthesized in the hippocampus might be seizure-promoting. Consistent with this, infusion of an aromatase inhibitor specifically into the hippocampus also suppressed both electrographic and behavioral seizures. These results support the idea of a positive feedback loop between seizure activity and neurosteroid estrogens in which seizures stimulate estrogen synthesis in the brain, which then acutely promotes neural activity, contributing to further seizure activity. Breaking this cycle with aromatase inhibitor therapy may be a novel approach to clinical control of SE."

"...That we detected a range of basal E2 concentrations suggests that factors in addition to seizures may regulate aromatase activity in the hippocampus. For example, studies in the avian brain indicate that stress regulates enzymes involved in E2 metabolism (Soma et al., 2004; Dickens et al., 2011). Given our observation that high basal E2 is associated with more severe seizures in response to KA, understanding how basal E2 levels in the hippocampus are influenced by stress or other experience may have important implications for understanding the role of environmental factors in modulating seizure susceptibility and/or severity."
Thank you for this. My sister seems to fit this picture as she developed epilepsy in her forties and has seizures when she is stressed.

agnostic

Here's another great study that was just published on pubmed today showing that an aromatase inhibitor protects against seizures. Interestingly, they also tested finasteride and could show that it attenuated the positive effects:

Epilepsy Res. 2018 Apr 9;143:60-69. doi: 10.1016/j.eplepsyres.2018.04.004. [Epub ahead of print]
Aromatase inhibition by letrozole attenuates kainic acid-induced seizures but not neurotoxicity in mice.
Iqbal R1, Jain GK2, Siraj F3, Vohora D4.
Author information

Abstract
Evidence shows neurosteroids play a key role in regulating epileptogenesis. Neurosteroids such as testosterone modulate seizuresusceptibility through its transformation to metabolites which show proconvulsant and anticonvulsant effects, respectively. Reduction of testosterone by aromatase generates proconvulsant 17-β estradiol. Alternatively, testosterone is metabolized into 5α-dihydrotestosterone (5α-DHT) by 5α-reductase, which is then reduced by 3α-hydroxysteroid oxidoreductase enzyme (3α-HSOR) to form anticonvulsant metabolite 3α-androstanediol (3α-Diol), a potent GABAA receptor modulating neurosteroid. The present study evaluated whether inhibition of aromatase inhibitor letrozole protects against seizures and neuronal degeneration induced by kainic acid (KA) (10 mg/kg, i.p.) in Swiss albino mice. Letrozole (1 mg/kg, i.p.) administered one hour prior to KA significantly increased the onset time of seizures and reduced the% incidence of seizures. Pretreatment with finasteride, a selective inhibitor of 5α-reductase and indomethacin, a selective inhibitor of 3α-hydroxysteroid oxidoreductase enzyme (3α-HSOR), reversed the protective effects of letrozole in KA-induced seizures in mice. Microscopic examination using cresyl violet staining revealed that letrozole did not modify KA-induced neurotoxicity in the CA1, CA3 and DG region of the hippocampus. Letrozole treatment resulted in the reduced levels of 17-β estradiol and elevated the levels of 5α-dihydrotestosterone (DHT) and 3α-Diol in the hippocampus. Finasteride and indomethacin attenuated letrozole-induced elevations of 5α-DHT and 3α-Diol. Our results indicate the potential anticonvulsant effects of letrozole against KA-induced seizures in mice that might be mediated by inhibiting aromatization of testosterone to 17β-estradiol, a proconvulsant hormone and by redirecting the synthesis to anticonvulsant metabolites, 5α-DHT and 3α-Diol. Acute aromatase inhibition, thus, might be used as an adjuvant in the treatment of status epilepticus and can be pursued further.

KEYWORDS:
17-β estradiol; 3α-Diol; 5α-DHT; Aromatase; Kainic acid; Letrozole; Testosterone

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Here's another great study that was just published on pubmed today showing that an aromatase inhibitor protects against seizures. Interestingly, they also tested finasteride and could show that it attenuated the positive effects:

Thanks. The negative effects of finasteride are likely due to lowering synthesis of allopregnanolone, which is the endogenous anti-seizure steroids together with progesterone. Allopregnanolone is apparently more important in respect to seizure than progesterone.

Luke

My 2 year old daughter has suffered two febrile seizures in the past 6 months. What are safe options for a toddler; any special dietary considerations to help optimise her hormones? I don't want to lose custody if it comes out I'm giving her hormones without a script etc so non-pharmaceutical options welcome

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
My 2 year old daughter has suffered two febrile seizures in the past 6 months. What are safe options for a toddler; any special dietary considerations to help optimise her hormones? I don't want to lose custody if it comes out I'm giving her hormones without a script etc so non-pharmaceutical options welcome

I would definitely ask a doctor first when it comes to a toddler. Some possibly less risky options include vitamin E, and maybe niacinamide or vitamin K, but I would still ask a doctor before using even those. Toddlers are very sensitive to even vitamins considering how fast they grow and how quickly their organism changes.

agnostic

@haidut What fraction of Vitamin E do you think is most effective against seizures? If the antiepileptic effect of Vitamin E is mainly mediated by its antiestrogenic effect, I assume that alpha-tocopherol would be more effective than gamma-tocopherol, correct? On the other hand, @Travis mentioned several times that gamma-tocopherol has certain antioxidant capacities that alpha-tocopherol does not (e.g. removing peroxynitrite) and the formation of peroxynitrite also seems to play a role in seizures:
https://www.hindawi.com/journals/omcl/2012/795259/

Unfortunately, I have not found at any studies that have compared the efficacy of alpha-tocopherol and gamma-tocopherol against seizures. So, I guess a decision could only be made on theoretical grounds. There are also hardly any studies on the effects of tocotrienol on seizures. The only one I could find is this one:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3794779/

So far, there have been five randomized controlled trials on the efficacy of alpha-tocopherol against seizures and four of these have found positive effects. In addition, there are several open label studies and large body of evidence from animal studies. The most recent RTC is this one:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27099849

On the other hand, there is also this trial with a negative result and I'm wondering why it did not work out in this study. Does anyone have an explanation?
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1528-1157.1994.tb02446.x

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut What fraction of Vitamin E do you think is most effective against seizures? If the antiepileptic effect of Vitamin E is mainly mediated by its antiestrogenic effect, I assume that alpha-tocopherol would be more effective than gamma-tocopherol, correct? On the other hand, @Travis mentioned several times that gamma-tocopherol has certain antioxidant capacities that alpha-tocopherol does not (e.g. removing peroxynitrite) and the formation of peroxynitrite also seems to play a role in seizures:
https://www.hindawi.com/journals/omcl/2012/795259/

Unfortunately, I have not found at any studies that have compared the efficacy of alpha-tocopherol and gamma-tocopherol against seizures. So, I guess a decision could only be made on theoretical grounds. There are also hardly any studies on the effects of tocotrienol on seizures. The only one I could find is this one:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3794779/

So far, there have been five randomized controlled trials on the efficacy of alpha-tocopherol against seizures and four of these have found positive effects. In addition, there are several open label studies and large body of evidence from animal studies. The most recent RTC is this one:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27099849

On the other hand, there is also this trial with a negative result and I'm wondering why it did not work out in this study. Does anyone have an explanation?
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1528-1157.1994.tb02446.x

Vitamin E also has progestogenic-like effect and seems to also activate the GABA system, all of which contribute to anti-seizure effects. All tocopherol isomers should have activity, but I prefer a high-alpha mixed tocopherols mixture. There is even a patent for using pregnenolone in vitamin E to treat seizures and I think at least some of the effects are due to the tocopherol and not the pregnenolone because pregnenolone usually metabolizes into a stimulating (sulfate) form which does not do much for seizures.
I think for seizures, 500mg (750-800 IU) daily would be needed as this is the dose at which maximum opposition of estrogen occurred based on both in vitro and in vivo studies with breast cancer.

agnostic

Here is a very interesting new review paper demonstrating that vitamin E has a big potential for epilepsy. Although the authors do not discuss its hormonal effects, they show that it does much more than just providing antioxidant protection.

Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Basis Dis. 2019 Jan 28. pii: S0925-4439(19)30032-8. doi: 10.1016/j.bbadis.2019.01.026. [Epub ahead of print]
Excitotoxicity, neuroinflammation and oxidant stress as molecular bases of epileptogenesis and epilepsy-derived neurodegeneration: The role of vitamin E.
Ambrogini P1, Torquato P2, Bartolini D2, Albertini MC1, Lattanzi D1, Di Palma M1, Marinelli R2, Betti M1, Minelli A1, Cuppini R1, Galli F3.
Author information

Abstract
Glutamate-mediated excitotoxicity, neuroinflammation, and oxidative stress are common underlying events in neurodegeneration. This pathogenic "triad" characterizes the neurobiology of epilepsy, leading to seizure-induced cell death, increased susceptibility to neuronal synchronization and network alterations. Along with other maladaptive changes, these events pave the way to spontaneous recurrent seizures and progressive degeneration of the interested brain areas. In vivo models of epilepsy are available to explore such epileptogenic mechanisms, also assessing the efficacy of chemoprevention and therapy strategies at the pre-clinical level. The kainic acid model of pharmacological excitotoxicity and epileptogenesis is one of the most investigated mimicking the chronicization profile of temporal lobe epilepsy in humans. Its pathogenic cues include inflammatory and neuronal death pathway activation, mitochondrial disturbances and lipid peroxidation of several regions of the brain, the most vulnerable being the hippocampus. The importance of neuroinflammation and lipid peroxidation as underlying molecular events of brain damage was demonstrated in this model by the possibility to counteract the related maladaptive morphological and functional changes of this organ with vitamin E, the main fat-soluble cellular antioxidant and "conditional" co-factor of enzymatic pathways involved in polyunsaturated lipid metabolism and inflammatory signaling. The present review paper provides an overview of the literature supporting the potential for a timely intervention with vitamin E therapy in clinical management of seizures and epileptogenic processes associated with excitotoxicity, neuroinflammation and lipid peroxidation, i.e. the pathogenic "triad".

Copyright © 2019 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.
DOI:

10.1016/j.bbadis.2019.01.026

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals