Estrogen And Otosclerosis

teds

Forum Supporter
Otosclerosis is, in basic terms, a build up of bone - sclerosing tissue - around the ossicles in the inner ear- most commonly stapedes bone. This can lead to conductive hearing loss (to varying degrees).

In September last year I developed hearing loss after a bad cold (I won't go so far as to say I had the flu but there was fever and a lot of sneezing, coughing and congestion in general) - it lasted approximately 10 days. Over this time, my hearing in one ear got worse and worse with the assumption that it was wax build up- the ear feels blocked. After the cold dissipated and the hearing didn't return, I went to the GP to get my ear cleared out. While there was a lot of wax build up, removal of said wax did not return my hearing to normal.

ENT and audiogram = severe low frequecy hearing loss and mild upper frequency hearing loss.
Head CT- sinuses are clear- no groths (angiomas etc) seen.

Now otosclerosis is basically a diagnosis of exclusion. They look at all the things that they can look at and if it's none of those then it's "otosclerosis". This can't be verified from a structural perspective until an invasive proceedure is performed where they pull back the tympanic membrane (ear drum), scrape away some of your temporal bone (don't need that there do you?)- ferret around a bunch of fairly important nerves to the face etc and then they can see if there is in fact sclerosing activity.

Notwithstanding the fact that the ENT that I saw said in the same sentence that although it's seen in pregnant women, there is no associated links with hormone imbalances, I managed to find some research around estrogen and otic capsule bone formation.

The ultrastructural effect of estrogens on bone cells in thyroparathyroidectomized rats. - PubMed - NCBI

The effect of sex hormones on bone metabolism of the otic capsule--an overview. - PubMed - NCBI

There are more but you get the idea. So, my question to the forum and I shall tag @haidut in on this b/c this is where I'm starting- I'm going to apply estroban all around the ear- starting at 8 drops.
I'm already taking progest-e in second half of my cycle.

What else could i be doing to not only avoid elevated estrogen in this area?

I can only theorise that the cold was such an overt stress to my system that my estrogen spiked?? In rat studies they see bone formation in as little as 8 days!

Further- this looks at OPG expressed in the endolymph to suppress bone formation - what might stop this from normal expression??

Osteoprotegerin in the inner ear may inhibit bone remodeling in the otic capsule. - PubMed - NCBI

So- obviously I'm looking to stop any further boney formation where there shouldn't be done but also looking to improve bone resorption.

I'm currently getting about 1500mg Calcium per day

Thoughts- help - all much appreciated!

Ideonaut

Otosclerosis is, in basic terms, a build up of bone - sclerosing tissue - around the ossicles in the inner ear- most commonly stapedes bone. This can lead to conductive hearing loss (to varying degrees).

In September last year I developed hearing loss after a bad cold (I won't go so far as to say I had the flu but there was fever and a lot of sneezing, coughing and congestion in general) - it lasted approximately 10 days. Over this time, my hearing in one ear got worse and worse with the assumption that it was wax build up- the ear feels blocked. After the cold dissipated and the hearing didn't return, I went to the GP to get my ear cleared out. While there was a lot of wax build up, removal of said wax did not return my hearing to normal.

ENT and audiogram = severe low frequecy hearing loss and mild upper frequency hearing loss.
Head CT- sinuses are clear- no groths (angiomas etc) seen.

Now otosclerosis is basically a diagnosis of exclusion. They look at all the things that they can look at and if it's none of those then it's "otosclerosis". This can't be verified from a structural perspective until an invasive proceedure is performed where they pull back the tympanic membrane (ear drum), scrape away some of your temporal bone (don't need that there do you?)- ferret around a bunch of fairly important nerves to the face etc and then they can see if there is in fact sclerosing activity.

Notwithstanding the fact that the ENT that I saw said in the same sentence that although it's seen in pregnant women, there is no associated links with hormone imbalances, I managed to find some research around estrogen and otic capsule bone formation.

The ultrastructural effect of estrogens on bone cells in thyroparathyroidectomized rats. - PubMed - NCBI

The effect of sex hormones on bone metabolism of the otic capsule--an overview. - PubMed - NCBI

There are more but you get the idea. So, my question to the forum and I shall tag @haidut in on this b/c this is where I'm starting- I'm going to apply estroban all around the ear- starting at 8 drops.
I'm already taking progest-e in second half of my cycle.

What else could i be doing to not only avoid elevated estrogen in this area?

I can only theorise that the cold was such an overt stress to my system that my estrogen spiked?? In rat studies they see bone formation in as little as 8 days!

Further- this looks at OPG expressed in the endolymph to suppress bone formation - what might stop this from normal expression??

Osteoprotegerin in the inner ear may inhibit bone remodeling in the otic capsule. - PubMed - NCBI

So- obviously I'm looking to stop any further boney formation where there shouldn't be done but also looking to improve bone resorption.

I'm currently getting about 1500mg Calcium per day

Thoughts- help - all much appreciated!
Have your ears itched? I suffered hearing loss and suspect that toenail fungus got up in there. I've read that this happens with older people. My mother had that problem. Maybe the fungus can mess up inner ear tissue like it messes up toenails. I went through all kinds of medical crap and they finally called it "incipient Meniere's" since they were clueless, tho I had zero Meniere's symptoms.

OP
teds

teds

Forum Supporter
Have your ears itched? I suffered hearing loss and suspect that toenail fungus got up in there. I've read that this happens with older people. My mother had that problem. Maybe the fungus can mess up inner ear tissue like it messes up toenails. I went through all kinds of medical crap and they finally called it "incipient Meniere's" since they were clueless, tho I had zero Meniere's symptoms.

Yes- Years of itching. Stops for a while if wax removed so I suspect fungal too. I don’t have menieres symptoms. Just conductive hearing loss.. I mean, I have a feeling of ‘blocked’ but not fullness.. if there’s even a difference.
I guess I have to go via the metabolic bone theory for now as they can’t confirm otosclerosis without invasive surgery. And even if that is what is going on, removal of a bone doesn’t sound appealing..

I’m also doing daily carrot salad which should help w fungal stuff but perhaps only in the gut..?

OP
teds

teds

Forum Supporter
Did you ever get your hearing back by the way?

cjm

Hey teds, have you looked at OTC anti-fungal otic remedies? I have a bad smoking habit that I suspect is responsible for a feeling of constant congestion behind (inside?) my ears. I've taken some strides against it, but I used to be able to "play" with that feeling by exaggerating a chewing motion, or working my jaw up and down and side to side through what must be inappropriate mucus deposits, aka the first stage of fibrosis. (I've searched the forum before for reports of this and found a few; I think the feeling was described as stickiness, but I can't remember now.)

Anyway, after a few madman experiments of putting sh*t in my eye and ear to only partial relief of symptoms, I finally stuck some sh*t in my ear and it's been unfilling a previously filled gap (to turn a popular expression on its head). I first used Carbamide peroxide (hydrogen peroxide + urea). It's sold under the brand name Gly-Oxide for oral health but also as an otic solution called Debrox.

But you said you removed the wax and the problem remains -- I think Debrox is a wax removal aid. Then I used a little Lanosterol from Idealabs (don't ask why!) and something opened up -- no idea why that would be (for now until I can put some study time in on it) and I only recommend using it with strong caution. But then I used a homeopathic solution called Similasan and things have been clearing up nicely, often within minutes of application.

Similasan Ear Relief Drops
Active Ingredients:
Chamomilla - 10 X, Mercurius Solubilis - 15 X, Sulphur - 12 X
Inactive Ingredients: Vegetable Glycerin

Still need to research the ingredients fully. I saw chamomilla and sulphur in Hyland's ear drops, the kind advertised for swimmer's ear.

Before I go, let us dash to the studies!

"There were five essential oils of the 15 mentioned above which showed a hopeful antifungal activity: Pimpinella anisum, Chamomilla recutita L., Thymus vulgaris, Origanum vulgare L. The most hopeful antifungal activity and killing effect against all tested penicillia was found to be Origanum vulgare L. and Pimpinella anisum. The lowest level of antifungal activity was demonstrated by the oils Pinus mungo var. pulmilio, Salvia officinalis L., Abietis albia etheroleum, Chamomilla recutita L. Rausch, Rosmarinus officinalis."
Antifungal activity of essential oils against selected terverticillate penicillia.

Origanum vulgare L. = Oregano
Pimpinella anisum = Anise

Also, I saw garlic oil mentioned on Livestrong. Must investigate /s (but seriously I'm going to make some garlic oil and try it)​

In short, why not try an anti-fungal like Ideonaut's account suggests?

Just wanted to share my personal account. I have mental symptoms more than anything but part of them is an inability to appreciate music, even at low volumes. I prefer to get blasted a bit by my tunes and loud music has been unbearable for me for a long time. With no authority whatsoever, I doubt you have legit bone growth, but I imagine there is a degree of fibrosis, which should make correcting the issue a bit less stressful to approach. But I'm not certain your larger timeline here, i.e., your other big lifestyle and developmental factors pre-cold.

Last edited:

Hey there. Are you still here to share your story even further?

Have you found some remedy and did your hearing improve?

Thanks!