Estrogen (and Bpa) Cause Infertility For Several Generations

haidut

I guess everybody is getting a free dose of estrogen and BPA through the water we drink.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/0 ... tists-say/

"...In a study published in the journal Scientific Reports, U.S. Geological Survey researchers found that fish exposed to 17a- ethinylestradiol, also known as EE2, produced offspring that struggled to fertilized eggs, The Washington Post reported. The hormone’s effects in fertility were also found in the grandchildren of the fish originally exposed. EE2 is a major ingredient in oral contraceptives, and up to 68 percent of each dose is released in urine and excrement. Researchers also determined that BPA, which is widely used in plastics, had a similar effect in reducing fertility in fish used for the research. Both EF2 and BPA are endocrine disruptors that interfere with hormones and cause developmental disorders. “These adverse outcomes, if shown in natural populations, could have negative impacts on fish inhabiting contaminated aquatic environments,” visiting USGS scientist Ramji Bhandari of the University of Missouri said in a statement."

schultz

That's discouraging.

I get about half my water from rain, so I'm assuming that would be free of environmental estrogens right? It also runs through a filter (maybe carbon?) and UV lamp "filter". That makes me feel a little better... Nothing like showering in the rain! :lol:

haidut

schultz said:
That's discouraging.

I get about half my water from rain, so I'm assuming that would be free of environmental estrogens right? It also runs through a filter (maybe carbon?) and UV lamp "filter". That makes me feel a little better... Nothing like showering in the rain! :lol:

I think passing it through a charcoal filter would help as charcoal is expected to bind and destroy the estrogens. I am not sure though, just sharing what I've heard anecdotally.

Dean

haidut said:
I think passing it through a charcoal filter would help as charcoal is expected to bind and destroy the estrogens. I am not sure though, just sharing what I've heard anecdotally.

Wow, never thought of that. I bought one of those Sawyer mini filters to have in an emergency when camping/hiking. Didn't occur to me to use it to get the estrogens out of my drinking water in everyday life. Kind of a hassle; but I guess it's worth trying to see if it makes a difference.

haidut

Dean said:
haidut said:

Wow, never thought of that. I bought one of those Sawyer mini filters to have in an emergency when camping/hiking. Didn't occur to me to use it to get the estrogens out of my drinking water in everyday life. Kind of a hassle; but I guess it's worth trying to see if it makes a difference.

Or you can just take charcoal capsules twice a week:): Achieves about the same effect and has other benefits too, like lowering endogenous estrogen production.

Dean

LOL...yeah, I guess I could go that route too. I am a little leery about activated charcoal, however. When I experimented with it in the past it gave me episodes of irregular heartbeat. Something I'd never experienced before or since.

jyb

haidut said:
schultz said:
That's discouraging.

Well that's your usual Britta charcoal filter. A few minutes of going through it. But I noticed there are more expensive products to target smaller molecules if you suspect your tap is really bad.

schultz

haidut said:
Dean said:
haidut said:

Or you can just take charcoal capsules twice a week:): Achieves about the same effect and has other benefits too, like lowering endogenous estrogen production.

Charcoal, eh? It has just occurred to me that I know very little about activated charcoal as a supplement. Maybe I will do some tinkering! :geek: