[Estimated] residential traffic noise increases dementia risk

hei

Residential exposure to transportation noise in Denmark and incidence of dementia: national cohort study​

BMJ 2021; 374 doi: Residential exposure to transportation noise in Denmark and incidence of dementia: national cohort study (Published 09 September 2021) Cite this as: BMJ 2021;374:n1954
Abstract
Objective To investigate the association between long term residential exposure to road traffic and railway noise and risk of incident dementia.
Design Nationwide prospective register based cohort study.
Setting Denmark.
Participants 1 938 994 adults aged ≥60 years living in Denmark between 1 January 2004 and 31 December 2017.
Main outcome measures Incident cases of all cause dementia and dementia subtypes (Alzheimer’s disease, vascular dementia, and Parkinson’s disease related dementia), identified from national hospital and prescription registries.
Results The study population included 103 500 participants with incident dementia, and of those, 31 219 received a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease, 8664 of vascular dementia, and 2192 of Parkinson’s disease related dementia. Using Cox regression models, 10 year mean exposure to road traffic and railway noise at the most (Ldenmax) and least (Ldenmin) exposed façades of buildings were associated with a higher risk of all cause dementia. These associations showed a general pattern of higher hazard ratios with higher noise exposure, but with a levelling off or even small declines in risk at higher noise levels. In subtype analyses, both road traffic noise and railway noise were associated with a higher risk of Alzheimer’s disease, with hazard ratios of 1.16 (95% confidence interval 1.11 to 1.22) for road Ldenmax ≥65 dB compared with <45 dB, 1.27 (1.22 to 1.34) for road Ldenmin ≥55 dB compared with <40 dB, 1.16 (1.10 to 1.23) for railway Ldenmax ≥60 dB compared with <40 dB, and 1.24 (1.17 to 1.30) for railway Ldenmin ≥50 dB compared with <40 dB. Road traffic, but not railway, noise was associated with an increased risk of vascular dementia. Results indicated associations between road traffic Ldenmin and Parkinson’s disease related dementia.
Conclusions This nationwide cohort study found transportation noise to be associated with a higher risk of all cause dementia and dementia subtypes, especially Alzheimer’s disease.

People who live next to main roads often claim that they "get used to it" but maybe it's their brain cells dying or they just forget what it's like to live in peace. The air pollution probably doesn't help either.

milkboi

I‘ll never get used to this ***t. I find the noise to be extremely annoying but for now I‘ll need to stay in the city center. It might very well cause chronic elevated stress levels. Another factor could be worsened sleep quality.

InChristAlone

Possibly from infrasound. Vibroacoustic disease is a thing.
Had no idea this was even a thing. I wonder if using a fan at night acting like white noise is harmful?

Perry Staltic

Had no idea this was even a thing. I wonder if using a fan at night acting like white noise is harmful?

I don't think a fan would be a problem. In fact I seriously doubt it. Except for the big "fans" called wind turbines.

InChristAlone

I don't think a fan would be a problem. In fact I seriously doubt it. Except for the big "fans" called wind turbines.
Oh ok so it's the stuff that produce a very large amount of noise even if it's in the lower frequencies.

Perry Staltic

Oh ok so it's the stuff that produce a very large amount of noise even if it's in the lower frequencies.

There may be some infrasound from a fan, but I would think it's pretty low energy. The energy is what does the damage. Think callouses on skin; repeated frictional forces causes thickening. That's what high energy infrasound does to internal soft tissue like lungs, nervous system, cardiovascular system. The repeated mechanical forces causes those tissues to defend themselves by thickening, which obviously can cause problems in the nervous system, lungs (fibrosis) and cardiovascular system (heart disease),

Long, but highly worth it. Great teacher

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q7rgDH8M8s

Last edited:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I think I read somewhere that white noise machines can also cause this kind of issue.

Tim Lundeen

How do we know it's the noise and not the exhaust fumes? Exhaust is known to be toxic. Could well be that both are factors...

Lollipop2

There may be some infrasound from a fan, but I would think it's pretty low energy. The energy is what does the damage. Think callouses on skin; repeated frictional forces causes thickening. That's what high energy infrasound does to internal soft tissue like lungs, nervous system, cardiovascular system. The repeated mechanical forces causes those tissues to defend themselves by thickening, which obviously can cause problems in the nervous system, lungs (fibrosis) and cardiovascular system (heart disease),

Long, but highly worth it. Great teacher

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Q7rgDH8M8s

Fascinating.

JamesGatz

This is a good thread - everything bothers me about city living - the noise, there is EMF all over the place you could even feel it from a passing train half a block away, construction noise drives me crazy ... everytime i pass by a construction site i hold my breath cause just one whiff of all the toxic stuff they got there and im experiencing neurotoxic effects