"essential fatty acids are crucial to skin function..."

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/skin/EFA/

Conclusion

Omega-6 (n-6) and omega-3 (n-3) essential fatty acids (EFAs) are crucial to skin function and appearance. Both dietary and topical supplementation with EFAs can have profound effects on the fatty acid composition and eicosanoid milieu of the skin. As a result, addition of various EFA-rich oils (see the Table above) can modulate the inflammatory response in both dermal and epidermal layers of the skin. Supplementation with n-3 fatty acids in particular exerts protection from photodamage and photoaging. There is some evidence that n-3 supplementation adversely affects wound healing, but further research is necessary to address this question. N-6 EFAs are required for skin barrier function and structural integrity. Supplementation with n-6 fatty acids alleviates symptoms associated with skin sensitivity and inflammatory skin disorders. The mechanism by which EFAs influence skin reactions is likely through changes in the ratio of pro- and anti-inflammatory eicosanoids derived from EFA precursors. N-6 and n-3 fatty acids compete for the same enzymes; thus supplementation with specific EFAs can alter the corresponding metabolites, significantly influencing skin function and appearance.

Edit: Btw, hat tip to someone on RP fans for finding this. I saved this link last night, but when I went back today so I could give proper credit I could not find the original post.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Say it ain't so!

I do not have the brainpower to dispute this. Help!

Combie

Only skimmed it, but Theyre just parotting George Burr it seems, no mention of metabolism or increased need for B6, and nutrition and energy in general

gretchen

Omega-3s modulate eicosanoids and quench prostaglandin-related inflammation in the short-term only. This is the catch that people need to get in order to refute the omega-3 thing. If you look at anyone who promotes fish or fish oil capsules, such as Barry Sears or Nicholas Perricone, you can clearly see that omega-3 is bad for skin:

Perricone_Beach.png

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals