Essential Fats deficiency symptoms ?Am writin

Ell

Hi, I'm writing for a friend..... :) What if someone restricts their fats to only butter, olive oil and coconut oil, but then they "eat out" once a day, sometimes twice. The question is, what if this person, in all their eats, is not getting enough of Linolenic Acid, how would they ever know ? Same question for Linoleic. What are the signs of a linoleic deficiency ? Arachidonic ?

GenericName86

I remember Travis talked about alpha-linolenic acid, you could search for linolenic acid posts by Travis in the search bar if you want, that would bring up quite a lot.

tankasnowgod

Hi, I'm writing for a friend..... :) What if someone restricts their fats to only butter, olive oil and coconut oil, but then they "eat out" once a day, sometimes twice. The question is, what if this person, in all their eats, is not getting enough of Linolenic Acid, how would they ever know ? Same question for Linoleic. What are the signs of a linoleic deficiency ? Arachidonic ?

There is no risk of this "deficiency." In the William Brown experiment, they had to restrict all fats, because the amount of PUFA in Butter and Coconut Oil was too much. Olive Oil is even higher content, and they are likely getting regular, high PUFA oils eating out so frequently. If anything, they are probably getting far, far too much.

OP
Ell

Ell

There is no risk of this "deficiency." In the William Brown experiment, they had to restrict all fats, because the amount of PUFA in Butter and Coconut Oil was too much. Olive Oil is even higher content, and they are likely getting regular, high PUFA oils eating out so frequently. If anything, they are probably getting far, far too much.
I saw a report where the Danish exported all their butter for the war effort, and in place of butter usee other oils. The children developed blindness. I was recalling that the amount of unsat in Coconut oil is negligible, and the amount of butter a person eats really doesn't get them much linoleic or linoleic. I think its a huge problem, people are likely deficient in these fats and don't even realize it.

tankasnowgod

I saw a report where the Danish exported all their butter for the war effort, and in place of butter usee other oils. The children developed blindness.
That has nothing to do with so called "EFA Deficiency." If anything, it shows the importance of the vitamins in butter, or the problems with seed oils, which are likely high PUFA.
I was recalling that the amount of unsat in Coconut oil is negligible, and the amount of butter a person eats really doesn't get them much linoleic or linoleic.
It's about 3-4% in both. Certainly not "negligible," and they had to eliminate both in the William Brown experiment to get to "EFA Deficiency." Even then, they report several health benefits for the 6 months Brown ate the diet.
I think its a huge problem, people are likely deficient in these fats and don't even realize it.
Well, then what are you even doing on the Ray Peat Forum in the first place? Clearly, you don't even agree with some of Peat's basic ideas.

Although, based on the absolute explosion of PUFA in the diet over the past several decades, this is a ludicrous idea on the face of it-

PUFA.png

OP
Ell

Ell

That has nothing to do with so called "EFA Deficiency." If anything, it shows the importance of the vitamins in butter, or the problems with seed oils, which are likely high PUFA.

It's about 3-4% in both. Certainly not "negligible," and they had to eliminate both in the William Brown experiment to get to "EFA Deficiency." Even then, they report several health benefits for the 6 months Brown ate the diet.

Well, then what are you even doing on the Ray Peat Forum in the first place? Clearly, you don't even agree with some of Peat's basic ideas.

Although, based on the absolute explosion of PUFA in the diet over the past several decades, this is a ludicrous idea on the face of it-

View attachment 27689
Whoa whoa, I only asked a legit question. I think it is good for ppl these days, given all the stresses already out there, to maybe consider to be a little less confrontational, as in, refrain from "Why are you here in the first place?" type. Ray Peat, PhD is ok, but certainly not the only source of thoughts, theories, etc. and scores of thousands of really great clinician MD's have made contributions in this area. I think it is reckless to believe that all polyunsatures are "bad". I have many reasons for this belief, one being only the delta-lactones of the c-20 to c24 unsat moieties, which several clinicians have reported on their carcinolytic activities against common breast and lung cell lines in the literature, as but one example. Send me a check and I'll write a short book.

Possibly, the answer to my question is that a sign of deficiency of unsaturates, is cancer. Because, how the body make those lactones, without the PUFA's ??

I think if you delve further, you will find test animals deprived of PUFA's basically die, but first slowly present with varied symptoms depending on species, status and history.

Remember, scurvy was a scourge but later found a dietary deficiency (C) cured it.
Pellagra was fatal at 99% and thought to be from a pathogen, they even had whole hospitals for pellagrans only, and it took Goldberg to fight the Est. for them to realize it was a B3, dietary deficiency.
Pernicious Anemia has high mortality and Minot & al got bushwhacked by the Est. for curing pernicious anemia using raw liver. So again, a dietary deficiency. (PUFA's in the phosphatides of the liver)

The above 3 are exemplary of problems thought "incurable", which were remedied by a dietary factor. Yes, there are more PUFA's consumed nowadays than previously, but as always in biochem it is the quality as well as the quantity. And if history is a teacher, then it strongly suggests that a deficiency in an essential PUFA, might be the basis of a disease which many today believe "incurable", as they had once thought about scurvy, anemia, and pellagra.

How do you know, that you are not deficient in Arachidonic acid phospholipids ?

tankasnowgod

Whoa whoa, I only asked a legit question.

You basically say you completely disagree with a central tenant of Peat's work.

If you don't think getting 40+ grams of PUFA a day is enough, and people should instead be aiming for something like 60, 80 or 100g, despite no historical or scientific context, then I think wondering what you are even doing here is a legit question, too.

If you really think you are "deficient" in PUFA, start guzzling corn oil. soybean oil, or canola oil, and report back how that went in a few days.

OP
Ell

Ell

Look toots, I never said I eat 40+ grams of PUFA a day. I asked a question of "How do you know, that you are not deficient in AA phospholipids" and you have no answer. Its ok, there's lots of things maqny pplI don't have answers for either. Notice also, I never stated I believe myself to be deficient in PUFA. Where do you come up with this stuff from ?

tankasnowgod

Look toots, I never said I eat 40+ grams of PUFA a day. I asked a question of "How do you know, that you are not deficient in AA phospholipids" and you have no answer.

Look darling, I answered your question above. I stated plainly that, in order to induce so called "EFA Deficiency" in a human, William Brown had to go on a virtually fat free diet for several months, and even eliminate things like Orange Juice, which can contain about 0.1 gram of PUFA per cup itself.

I then posted a graph showing that PUFA intake has risen from about 12 grams in 1906, to over 35+ in 2005 (and likely higher today). This is why I think your question is ludicrous. People are eating more Arachidonic Acid than at any point before in recorded history. There is simply no way "deficiency" is a problem, unless you are anorexic, or following a super low fat diet for extended periods of time, even assuming that AA is "essential."

Not to mention Peat's article above would answer any serious question you have about it. As would Haidut's PUFA summary-

Since you aren't even willing to comment on Peat's stance, I think it's best I hit the ignore button at this point.

Hugh Johnson

I saw a report where the Danish exported all their butter for the war effort, and in place of butter usee other oils. The children developed blindness. I was recalling that the amount of unsat in Coconut oil is negligible, and the amount of butter a person eats really doesn't get them much linoleic or linoleic. I think its a huge problem, people are likely deficient in these fats and don't even realize it.
Are you unironically implying the Danes, due to a lack of resources, sold all their butter, imported coconut oil from the tropics during war time, and this caused blindness, something that it does not seem to occur in cultures that eat mostly coconut oil? And then you argue that modern people are PUFA deficient while eatin more PUFA than anyone in history? How are you not a troll?

OP
Ell

Ell

I made factual statements, you all are just naturally argumentative. I could have said A, and you would have argued for B, regardless of the A I might have stated. Why ? Probably TV and the media, because that's all ppl do on TV and media, is argue constantly. It rubs off, ya know....

And yes, I'm saying that a population that eats more PUFA than anyone in history can be deficient in some particular PUFA's. Notice my choice of words "some particular." In case you haven't noticed, which evidently you haven't, NOT ALL PUFA's are the same. People who lump all PUFA's into the category of "bad", are foolish. It evidences only ignorance - any clinician who sees people avoiding ALL pufa's probably laughs louder than I. I'll tell you why I don't share more, it is b/c Christ once made a comment about pearls. I've been on here 4 years and have like 70 posts or something. You have nearly 2,000. How are you not a troll ?

OP
Ell

Ell

Look darling, I answered your question above. I stated plainly that, in order to induce so called "EFA Deficiency" in a human, William Brown had to go on a virtually fat free diet for several months, and even eliminate things like Orange Juice, which can contain about 0.1 gram of PUFA per cup itself.

I then posted a graph showing that PUFA intake has risen from about 12 grams in 1906, to over 35+ in 2005 (and likely higher today). This is why I think your question is ludicrous. People are eating more Arachidonic Acid than at any point before in recorded history. There is simply no way "deficiency" is a problem, unless you are anorexic, or following a super low fat diet for extended periods of time, even assuming that AA is "essential."

Not to mention Peat's article above would answer any serious question you have about it. As would Haidut's PUFA summary-

Since you aren't even willing to comment on Peat's stance, I think it's best I hit the ignore button at this point.
Hit the ignore button twice, just to make sure. Thanks for your replies, have a good weekend and best of luck to you !

Are you unironically implying the Danes, due to a lack of resources, sold all their butter, imported coconut oil from the tropics during war time, and this caused blindness, something that it does not seem to occur in cultures that eat mostly coconut oil? And then you argue that modern people are PUFA deficient while eatin more PUFA than anyone in history? How are you not a troll?
No I think he meant that butter was sent to the soldiers and the civillians used various types of other oils like rapeseed or sunflower etc.
Coconut oil was on another note

OP
Ell

Ell

No I think he meant that butter was sent to the soldiers and the civillians used various types of other oils like rapeseed or sunflower etc.
Coconut oil was on another note
Bingo, the children were deprived of the butter. It was during WWI. Sometimes I think the factor X of Price isn't the K. vits., but is actually Vit. F..... !

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals