Erythromycin Sources

FrankMa

Hey,

I am "Peating" for quite some time ( fruit, fruit juice, milk, cottage chesse, sugar, coffee, honey, liverwurst, mussels ).
I am feeling very good eating this way but always anytime I eat starches like potatoes within 3 days I develop a really bad mood; doesn`t matter if eaten with or without fat.

So I was thinking about taking Erythromycin for some time; maybe it is just a SIBO condioton or something related.
Where can I get high quality Erythromycin online?
How much and how long should I take it?

Frank

Beastmode

@FrankMa I haven't found them on any of the mexican sites, but I'm sure there's a lot of others people use here that may have found them on other sites.

Peat has told me about the 2 safest antibiotics he trusts are:

Erythromycin (antiinflammatory and laxative) and tetracycline (antiinflammatory).

You've mentioned Erythromycin, but it's not a bad idea to consider a tetracycline if you don't want the laxative effect.

Last edited:
OP
F

FrankMa

@FrankMa I haven't found them on any of the mexican sites, but I'm sure there's a lot of others people use here that may have found them on other sites.

Peat has told me about the 2 safest antibiotics he trusts are:

Erythromycin (antiinflammatory and laxative) and tetracycline (antiinflammatory).

You've mentioned Erythromycin, but it's not a bad idea to consider a tetracycline if you don't want the laxative effect.
Thanks for your input.
I don`t need the laxative effect of Erythromycin so Tetracycline is fine with me.
How much per day and for how long would I take it? Just follow the package insert?
I have read about the potential side effects of Tetracyline like liver damage, yellow teeth....
Is that a real problem or just a very seldom occuring possibility?

Beastmode

Thanks for your input.
I don`t need the laxative effect of Erythromycin so Tetracycline is fine with me.
How much per day and for how long would I take it? Just follow the package insert?
I have read about the potential side effects of Tetracyline like liver damage, yellow teeth....
Is that a real problem or just a very seldom occuring possibility?

I don't have enough experience with them to give useful feedback. Like anything, the smaller the dose the better as most antibiotics are abused.

I'm interested in obtaining some myself to experiment with. I've used pennicilin and that had some nice effects on lowering inflammation.

If you come across a good source yourself.

OP
F

FrankMa

I don't have enough experience with them to give useful feedback. Like anything, the smaller the dose the better as most antibiotics are abused.

I'm interested in obtaining some myself to experiment with. I've used pennicilin and that had some nice effects on lowering inflammation.

If you come across a good source yourself.
Hey,

I have just send an email to Dr. Peat asking these questions. I let you know his reply asap.
I am located in the EU. We can purchase these antiobiotics online by answering a questionaire.
Since Erythromycin is especially used for gastro-intestinal issues I could most likely easily get that drug.
In your situation most likely you have to order in Mexico, I suppose.

OP
F

FrankMa

Dr. Peat replied to email:
Even smaller amounts work for some people; it can have a laxative action, so the dose can be adjusted to avoid diarrhea.

Hello Dr. Peat,

I am doing pretty well on fruit and fruit juices but always I eat starches I develop a really bad mood
( doesn`t matter if eaten with or without fat ).
So I was thinking about taking Erythromycine to reset my digestive system.
Could you tell how much per day to take? Is 100mg fine once per day over 7 days?

Kind Regards
Frank

OliviaD

Dr. Peat replied to email:
Even smaller amounts work for some people; it can have a laxative action, so the dose can be adjusted to avoid diarrhea.

Hello Dr. Peat,

I am doing pretty well on fruit and fruit juices but always I eat starches I develop a really bad mood
( doesn`t matter if eaten with or without fat ).
So I was thinking about taking Erythromycine to reset my digestive system.
Could you tell how much per day to take? Is 100mg fine once per day over 7 days?

Kind Regards
Frank
I realize this is 2 years old, but just in case :) To clarify - he thought 100 mg once a day for 7 days was a good dose for digestive issues?

OP
F

FrankMa

I realize this is 2 years old, but just in case :) To clarify - he thought 100 mg once a day for 7 days was a good dose for digestive issues?
Yes, 100mg per day or even lesser, taken over several doses per day

OliviaD

Yes, 100mg per day or even lesser, taken over several doses per day
OH THANK YOU! I'm in caps b/c you just saved me. I'm so glad you are still here. I finally got some erythromycin, b/c I live in the U.S. I had to order it from Mexico.. so I hope it is okay. I wasn't sure of the dose, so yesterday took 1/2 a pill (250 mg) twice a day, and today took 1 whole one - 500 mg. (package says 500 mg twice a day!). I knew I didn't want to take it as long, but didn't have any dosage guideline , I was so sick this weekend, I just had to start it! Hopefully.. I can recover from this way to high of a dose if I take off a day or too. I hope I didn't mess myself up or get sick.. I didn't have any negative effects from yesterday and felt much better. I am having a bit of a headache and some weird arm pain - so maybe that is from the 500 I took a couple hours ago. Hopefully it will wear off.

I have much more serious SIBO than you - with serious GI issues for a decade. What is maddening, is that there is even a GI doctor in the U.S. who specializes in SIBO and related issues, who wrote a book and he always recommended erythro as part of his protocol - as a motility agent (i.e. what would give 'laxative' effects)., but it is not as harsh as standard laxative effects. I cannot get a doctor to prescribe it! They want to only give a new drug (of course) for motility - that increases serotonin! And a very pricey new antibiotic called xifaxin (which didn't help me). Who knows, but this is such a simple thing, and this drug has been around for a long time. I actually want the laxative effect as my small intestine is basically paralyzed according to the motility study I had,

So, I will probably use the 100 mg - and I should divide this into several doses? So far, even with my megadoses, I have not experienced any laxative effect. Hopefully, I haven't done too much damage.. I'm hoping not after just 2 days.

Did the erythro help you?

THANK YOU SO MUCH, again!

OP
F

FrankMa

OH THANK YOU! I'm in caps b/c you just saved me. I'm so glad you are still here. I finally got some erythromycin, b/c I live in the U.S. I had to order it from Mexico.. so I hope it is okay. I wasn't sure of the dose, so yesterday took 1/2 a pill (250 mg) twice a day, and today took 1 whole one - 500 mg. (package says 500 mg twice a day!). I knew I didn't want to take it as long, but didn't have any dosage guideline , I was so sick this weekend, I just had to start it! Hopefully.. I can recover from this way to high of a dose if I take off a day or too. I hope I didn't mess myself up or get sick.. I didn't have any negative effects from yesterday and felt much better. I am having a bit of a headache and some weird arm pain - so maybe that is from the 500 I took a couple hours ago. Hopefully it will wear off.

I have much more serious SIBO than you - with serious GI issues for a decade. What is maddening, is that there is even a GI doctor in the U.S. who specializes in SIBO and related issues, who wrote a book and he always recommended erythro as part of his protocol - as a motility agent (i.e. what would give 'laxative' effects)., but it is not as harsh as standard laxative effects. I cannot get a doctor to prescribe it! They want to only give a new drug (of course) for motility - that increases serotonin! And a very pricey new antibiotic called xifaxin (which didn't help me). Who knows, but this is such a simple thing, and this drug has been around for a long time. I actually want the laxative effect as my small intestine is basically paralyzed according to the motility study I had,

So, I will probably use the 100 mg - and I should divide this into several doses? So far, even with my megadoses, I have not experienced any laxative effect. Hopefully, I haven't done too much damage.. I'm hoping not after just 2 days.

Did the erythro help you?

THANK YOU SO MUCH,
nor problem; glad that I can help.
My digestion is very fine on meet, milk and fruit / fruit juice.
If I eat too much starch I still get symptoms; still not sure if that is because there is something wrong
in my intestines or if I am just a type which can`t digest starches very well.

I stick with what works for me; my mood and blood work are fine with fruit and occasional starch.
Unfortunately I am no expert in GI issues but I am under the impression that optimizing the intestines
is a very important step.

OliviaD

nor problem; glad that I can help.
My digestion is very fine on meet, milk and fruit / fruit juice.
If I eat too much starch I still get symptoms; still not sure if that is because there is something wrong
in my intestines or if I am just a type which can`t digest starches very well.

I stick with what works for me; my mood and blood work are fine with fruit and occasional starch.
Unfortunately I am no expert in GI issues but I am under the impression that optimizing the intestines
is a very important step.
hmm, that is interesting. I agree though, do what works! So, the problem you get is mostly with your mood? I agree, it seems like you might just not do well with starch. Is it all kinds of starch - i.e. wheat, potatoes, rice.. etc. ?

I was just fine , and could eat anything - until I started having some vomiting, and nausea, some pain for several months - which i suspect NOW could have been from stress and a really bad diet. However, the American medical system being what it is - decided to remove my gallbladder (they said it had polyps.. but you know, I don't know if these were actually a problem). Something happened during that surgery.. they call it "nerve damage'.. i.e they have no idea. That is when everything went downhill. I do not know if I will ever be able to correct it - but I refuse to settle for the "i have to live like this" - so I keep trying everything that I can.

I had an endoscopy and they diagnosed the SIBO from that - which is the 'gold standard' test. It makes sense that the bacteria would build up, because the food moves so slowly through my small intestine. The erythromycin seems perfect b/c it is supposed to speed things up, wipe out some of the bugs, and reduce some inflammation. I have to say, I am feeling some nice gurgling in my intestines after my mega-dose - which is a good sign, ,because normally nothing moves.

I love starches -the easier to digest ones - rice, fluffy things like croissants, potatoes work well, noodles.. saltine crackers. These work well for me. Interesting how we are all so different. Glad you are doing well!

OP
F

FrankMa

hmm, that is interesting. I agree though, do what works! So, the problem you get is mostly with your mood? I agree, it seems like you might just not do well with starch. Is it all kinds of starch - i.e. wheat, potatoes, rice.. etc. ?

I was just fine , and could eat anything - until I started having some vomiting, and nausea, some pain for several months - which i suspect NOW could have been from stress and a really bad diet. However, the American medical system being what it is - decided to remove my gallbladder (they said it had polyps.. but you know, I don't know if these were actually a problem). Something happened during that surgery.. they call it "nerve damage'.. i.e they have no idea. That is when everything went downhill. I do not know if I will ever be able to correct it - but I refuse to settle for the "i have to live like this" - so I keep trying everything that I can.

I had an endoscopy and they diagnosed the SIBO from that - which is the 'gold standard' test. It makes sense that the bacteria would build up, because the food moves so slowly through my small intestine. The erythromycin seems perfect b/c it is supposed to speed things up, wipe out some of the bugs, and reduce some inflammation. I have to say, I am feeling some nice gurgling in my intestines after my mega-dose - which is a good sign, ,because normally nothing moves.

I love starches -the easier to digest ones - rice, fluffy things like croissants, potatoes work well, noodles.. saltine crackers. These work well for me. Interesting how we are all so different. Glad you are doing well!
Yes, it is mainly mood problems; could be from endotoxin or serotonin.
The problem does only occur if I eat starch for more then 3 days.
So from time to time I have starch, sometimes I just grave it.
I just have to be cafreful to not overdo it.
Here on the forum I have read that it is the same with some other people.....

Antibitotics are meant to be a short term help; would not take them constantly.
Maybe you just need to further experiment with food; some have a real good digestion without
fibre, some have the best movements on some fibre but not on other fibre......

You may have to try an elimination diet like just eating one food for several days to see how it goes
than add another one for 3 or 5 days to find out what works for you.
Maybe it is not only the starch the irritates your intestines but food additives in saltine crackers,
anti-nutritions in potatoes ( some potatoes do have less of them, some more ), the PUFA in croissant....

You could try digestive aids like swedish bitters or digestive enzymes....
there are so many factors to experiment with and to optimize.
It is a lot of work though

OliviaD

Yes, it is mainly mood problems; could be from endotoxin or serotonin.
The problem does only occur if I eat starch for more then 3 days.
So from time to time I have starch, sometimes I just grave it.
I just have to be cafreful to not overdo it.
Here on the forum I have read that it is the same with some other people.....

Antibitotics are meant to be a short term help; would not take them constantly.
Maybe you just need to further experiment with food; some have a real good digestion without
fibre, some have the best movements on some fibre but not on other fibre......

You may have to try an elimination diet like just eating one food for several days to see how it goes
than add another one for 3 or 5 days to find out what works for you.
Maybe it is not only the starch the irritates your intestines but food additives in saltine crackers,
anti-nutritions in potatoes ( some potatoes do have less of them, some more ), the PUFA in croissant....

You could try digestive aids like swedish bitters or digestive enzymes....
there are so many factors to experiment with and to optimize.
It is a lot of work though
Thanks, FrankMa... been there, done all that. I don't eat those things all the time, i.e. the saltines :) , and my croissants are non PUFA.. well , all butter, so very low.
I know the ABs are only short term (although I believe the doc here uses the low dose erythromycin for awhile for the motility), however; I know people with SIBO who do have to use them over and over. i.e. you get cleared out, and do the best you can until it gets bad, and then you do another course. I am good with that. I have a really good feeling about this erythromycin as now at 48 hours, the severe pain I had 24 hours ago is almost gone, and I am having peristaltic contractions.. which I have not felt since I had acupuncture a year ago! I think the last time I didn't have any pain was 2 1/2 years ago for one day, after much having colonoscopy and endoscopy. My theory is that the extreme purging of the prep and the procedure (they use a 'vacuum' type thing to clean you our real good :) . I think that sucks all the endotoxin out., but the trauma of it all causes inflammation, so the pain starts right back out.

That is great that you have worked out that the starch is the culprit, and yes; I know many people are able to narrow things down that way. I am sure you

As I said, I've been dealing with this for a decade.. no 12 years now. I am certain it is not any particular food type, I've tried all, and I can say that some things are worse, and some things are better, but nothing food wise will fix it, because I do believe it is a problem with the neuromuscular control. So, the bacteria may always eventually accumulate.

Saltines aren't perfect, but they are less toxic than a lot of things. My diet would not be considered ideal by many here, but I do what I have to to survive. I eat a lot of soup and soup like things - easy to digest. The saltines have PUFA, I am very low pufa, but I do have some. I try my best. I honestly think it is the endotoxins that are aggravating my intestines, not any one food in particular. There is a type of SIBO I believe I have - methane producing - the gasses are irritating and cause the pain - which is sharp and like sandpaper , and burning lot a hot poker through the belly button, and these have also been found to cause constipation - to decrease the motility.

I don't think taking digestive enzymes orally makes sense - b/c they don't get where you need them to be, in the duodenum, or at the right time, in the right amount, etc. And - every time I've tried - they indeed make me worse. One kind made me vomit for a day.

I will keep working on the diet .. just in case. Right now, it's moderation - I am trying really hard to eat more often , also started low dose of thyroid. I had been eating only one meal a day NOT because I wanted to do that fasting business, but b/c I have pain after eating, and I get through the day feeling good if I don't eat. But then I eat too much at once.. and suffer more. I am SO happy to find Ray Peat, because now I don't feel guilty about my sugar in my coffee, and Mexican Coke, and sugar. I am trying to drink orange juice and milk. I have to be careful to not have too much fat at once, too much fiber doesn't work - I can't do RPs carrot salad or mushrooms.. fiber does not move well. Maybe with the erythro.. we'll see. It's all an experiment..

I definitely need more protein. Today I only had a few spoonfuls of ground beef. I rarely get to 50 grams. So that is probably less than 10 today. I think that could be a problem too. I like that gelatin RP recommends, but a whole 9 x 9" pan is only 11 grams I think. That is a lot to eat.

And perhaps this won't go over well on this forum.. but I pray.. to be guided. It got me here.. and from OD ing on my erythromycin. :) Probably about all I have left :)

Well, you have a good day. I'm going to try to sleep !