Eric Burg And His Ketogenic Diet Advertisement

Eric Burg is saying ketogenic diet is healthy, that it provides essential fatty acids, and that we don't 'really' need carbs. Please, help me debunk it / hum in his last youtube video:

J

James IV

Eric Burg is saying ketogenic diet is healthy, that it provides essential fatty acids, and that we don't 'really' need carbs. Please, help me debunk it / hum in his last youtube video:

Just because the body doesn't "need" something to survive, doesn't mean it functions best without it.

TubZy

it's the body's back up mechanism for a reason, I would not do keto long term (well even short term any more either)

Increase in constant cortisol levels, suppressing thyroid, fatty liver etc.

tankasnowgod

The whole thing with carbs not being "essential" refers only to the dietary part. Glucose is absolutely needed, and even with ketone generation, about 100g (at the very least) is needed per day. If you don't get it from your diet, you will get it mainly from gluconeogenisis (converting protein into glucose), and a tiny bit from fat (the "glyce" part of "triglyceride"). So, good way to chew up muscle.

As for it being "healthy" long term..... there has never been a natural culture doing non-stop ketosis for years on end (even the Inuit only did it for 7 months per year, and likely got more carbs from glycogen than previously thought, and it may not have truly been a ketogenic diet). The Keto Diet for epilepsy is only an intervention diet, and a treatment of last resort, and still only done for 2-3 years total, always under close medical supervision.

This whole new "Keto" rage is even less time tested than veganism (I think Jimmy Moore has been doing that "Nutritional Ketosis" thing for five years), so about 5 years vs. 55 years for veganism. Personally, I'm not a fan of either, and don't think either offers much advantage to your average person or dieter.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals