Ergot alkaloids block stress-induced analgesia (SIA)

DaveFoster

Effects of ergot alkaloids on stress-induced analgesia.

Abstract
Repeated, thirty minute anticipation of unavoidable painful stimulation causes endorphin-induced analgesia in rats. This type of stress-induced analgesia (SIA) develops rapidly during the first minutes of the exposure to anticipation stress. SIA can be demonstrated during the whole period of anticipation stress. Ergot drugs (DH--ergotoxine, lisuride, trans-9,10 dihydrolisuride) administered 30 min before the onset of anticipation stress, blocked completely this form of SIA. On the other hand, no effect of ergot alkaloids in the tail-flick latency, as measured under resting conditions, was observed. Possible interactions of ergot alkaloids with opiate receptors as an important mechanism by which ergot drugs affect SIA are discussed.

If I understand this correctly, certain ergot alkaloids, (such as DH-ergotoxine (hydergine) and lisuride), possess an anti-opiate effect (similar to naltroxene), which supports the opiate inhibition endorsed by Peat. Therefore, these drugs retain properties that fit with his paradigm and may help explain their physiological benefits.

NewACC

It was very strange for me, that opioids cause so intense euphoria, but still are VERY potent dopamine antagonists and inductors of endotoxin and cortisol with prolactin

NewACC

Effects of ergot alkaloids on stress-induced analgesia.

Abstract

Repeated, thirty minute anticipation of unavoidable painful stimulation causes endorphin-induced analgesia in rats. This type of stress-induced analgesia (SIA) develops rapidly during the first minutes of the exposure to anticipation stress. SIA can be demonstrated during the whole period of anticipation stress. Ergot drugs (DH--ergotoxine, lisuride, trans-9,10 dihydrolisuride) administered 30 min before the onset of anticipation stress, blocked completely this form of SIA. On the other hand, no effect of ergot alkaloids in the tail-flick latency, as measured under resting conditions, was observed. Possible interactions of ergot alkaloids with opiate receptors as an important mechanism by which ergot drugs affect SIA are discussed.

If I understand this correctly, certain ergot alkaloids, (such as DH-ergotoxine (hydergine) and lisuride), possess an anti-opiate effect (similar to naltroxene), which supports the opiate inhibition endorsed by Peat. Therefore, these drugs retain properties that fit with his paradigm and may help explain their physiological benefits.

OP
DaveFoster

DaveFoster

It was very strange for me, that opioids cause so intense euphoria, but still are VERY potent dopamine antagonists and inductors of endotoxin and cortisol with prolactin
Chronically, but I believe opioids have a strong cortisol-lowering therapeutic effect in their acute usage.

Back
Top Bottom